The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

@Boudrias You should look into BSX, good company but they had some set backs with one of their products.

I bought some shares the other day, thus far it has been good.

Oh and I back into XOM again, I must be glutting for a punishment!

I looked at it. I have ABBV, CVS and JNJ in that space. To buy BSX I would have to sell JNJ so that was my comparison. JNJ is cheaper and pays a nice dividend. BSX has a real healthy EPS growth rate. You could see +$30 on BSX. I supposed there has been delayed surgery due to Covid. I will stick with JNJ because of the breadth of their offer. Coward.    

44 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I looked at it. I have ABBV, CVS and JNJ in that space. To buy BSX I would have to sell JNJ so that was my comparison. JNJ is cheaper and pays a nice dividend. BSX has a real healthy EPS growth rate. You could see +$30 on BSX. I supposed there has been delayed surgery due to Covid. I will stick with JNJ because of the breadth of their offer. Coward.    

Yeah, I wouldn’t give up JNJ for BSX, it just looks undervalued so I threw in 5k just to dip my toes.

Decent company, very good friend of mine’s wife has been working there for many years.

• Upvote 1

Robinhood execs concealed details about how the app makes money, SEC says

flash boys

• Robinhood bosses removed information about how the firm made money after becoming aware of a best-selling book that depicted how its practices can hurt inexperienced investors, a SEC complaint said.
  • The firm stopped disclosing how it made money from trades after Michael Lewis' 2014 exposé on high-frequency trading in a book called "Flash Boys."
  • The SEC describes how "a best-selling author published a book" that depicts payments from orders to high-speed trading firms as controversial.
  • Robinhood agreed to pay $65 million to settle SEC charges that it misled clients.

Senior Robinhood executives concealed information about how the trading app makes money after the release of Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys" in 2014, which details how the stock market is influenced by high-frequency traders, sparked controversy around its business model, a complaint by the Securities and Exchange Commission said.

The complaint is part of an SEC enforcement action that accuses Robinhood of misrepresenting and omitting information relating to its revenue sources, specifically from selling securities to Wall Street brokerages. These payments are also known as "payment for order flow."

Like other brokerages, Robinhood sells its orders to high-speed trading firms for execution. But it masked the fact that payment for order flow was its single largest source of revenue since the time of its launch in 2015, the SEC said.

According to the complaint, Robinhood deliberately omitted the revenue source to avoid customers from believing that payment for order flow is controversial.

The SEC does not mention Michael Lewis or "Flash Boys," but it does state that "a best-selling author published a book" that depicts payment for order flow as controversial and provides insight into electronic-securities trading. 

Senior Robinhood staff were aware of the book and the controversial payment linked to popular trading firms, prompting them to remove references from its answer to a FAQ section on "How does Robinhood make money," the SEC said. 

A new FAQ page that discussed the brokerage payment was created, but stated that its revenue from payment for order flow was "indirect" and "negligible," the complaint read. Robinhood also said it would inform customers if this ever became a significant source of revenue.

It became apparent to the SEC that 80% of Robinhood's revenue from 2015 to mid-2016 came from payment for order flow. Robinhood agreed to pay $65 million to settle the SEC's charges.

"The settlement relates to historical practices that do not reflect Robinhood today," said Dan Gallagher, the firm's chief legal officer.

A Robinhood spokesperson told Business Insider: "We are fully transparent in our communications with customers about our current revenue streams, have significantly improved our best execution processes, and have established relationships with additional market makers to improve execution quality."

Robinhood began to disclose that almost half of its revenue comes from the payment for order flow process in October 2018.

If anyone is interest in learning what happens to their order once they send it. I highiy recommend reading this Michael Lewis' "Flash Boys". Free copy here https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271603456_Flash_Boys_Cracking_the_Money_Code

Edited by nuckin_futz

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Pretty wild ride in TSLA. Closing print was approx 70 million shares at an all time high of $695.

10% swing off the low in minutes for the 7th largest S&P component.

All of the hedge funds and what nots were slated to buy into TSLA 10 mins to closing. If I had cash on hand I would of jumped on that jump. I fully expect it to tank now honestly. 

13 hours ago, HomeBrew said:

All of the hedge funds and what nots were slated to buy into TSLA 10 mins to closing. If I had cash on hand I would of jumped on that jump. I fully expect it to tank now honestly. 

The end of day purchases were something I've never seen before..

3 purchases of 1M shares which totals 2.1B... Just another level I never expected to see...

image.png.630f88f9fda4d8736c28e5a6b71ac973.png

5 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Cathie Bobby Axlerod Wood does it again. 

Kept loading TAK kept loading TAK and boom fda approval for leukaemia drug. 

Whether she’s connected to the inside or she’s just that. Damn. Good.

Ark forever. :emot-parrot:

110 mil in TAK in ARKG 

16 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Cathie Bobby Axlerod Wood does it again. 

Kept loading TAK kept loading TAK and boom fda approval for leukaemia drug. 

Whether she’s connected to the inside or she’s just that. Damn. Good.

Ark forever. :emot-parrot:

Honestly though, she's on another level. She's too on the radar for insider trading so I have to assume she's just that damn good.

That's why I snagged 1300 shares of SURF, she just loaded 1.1M shares on Thursday/Friday.

What's on everybody's watchlists except EV this week ?

33 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Honestly though, she's on another level. She's too on the radar for insider trading so I have to assume she's just that damn good.

That's why I snagged 1300 shares of SURF, she just loaded 1.1M shares on Thursday/Friday.

What's on everybody's watchlists except EV this week ?

I'm still interested to see what Tesla does. I love Tesla.. but these prices are crazy. Like yeah I know markets are forward looking and all of that but I can't help but think there is going to be a pull back to semi reality. I have a 70% gain in it right now. It would be nice to time a bit of a dip and add to the position with the difference. But who knows, that's an easy way to get burned, especially with the unpredictability of Tesla.

I'm probably going to continue to add to my ARK-W, F, and G. If PLTR dips down again I'll look at adding that to. I'm staying away from recovery plays for the most part (other than owning Shell and Suncor). This vaccine roll out is going to take a while and it will be even longer until we get close to herd immunity. Add in the risk of this new UK strain spreading and the chance of the vaccine not being as effective against new strains. I don't see us opening international border until late 2021 in a best case scenario.