The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

What a day. 

I mean, what a half day.

Made 3 months pay in unrealized gains. Took profits but keeping free shares and free call options in some. Big trims (both commons and options) - FUBO, PIC, TTCF, NNDM, EMAN

I really wish I hadn't missed out on FUBO, I had it in my sights but didn't pull the trigger back when it was $11. O well, win some and lose some.

Maybe CURI will be next in the digital streaming space.

2 hours ago, Down by the River said:

MN0Re1o.jpg

What am I missing/does anyone have a favorite?

Bogle and Graham are great. Technical Analysis is the equivalent of some guy in skins shaking a bunch of bones out a skull. That's my read and I'm sticking to it.  

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

There’s a reason why many used to call it the Vancouver Suckers Exchange.  I too learned the motto “You’re either a shark or a sucker” the hard way.  But isn’t that life though?  Dealing with whatever adversity that comes your way?  (Though in my case it was more like greed taking over common sense).

Youthful exuberance hopefully morphs into more reserved retrospection. Might not have made much money but those were great days. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bogle and Graham are great. Technical Analysis is the equivalent of some guy in skins shaking a bunch of bones out a skull. That's my read and I'm sticking to it.  

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment... I like the ones that are more about the psychology of investing/speculating given that markets can change but adults' temperaments are fairly stable over time/contexts.

3 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I haven't read it yet, so can't comment... I like the ones that are more about the psychology of investing/speculating given that markets can change but adults' temperaments are fairly stable over time/contexts.

I think you really hit on something there. The psychology involved in investing probably impacts results more than anything else. Confirmation bias. I am a fundamental investor but the reality is that numbers are usually to old and as a retail investor I have no real knowledge of what is happening in a particular company. I have read a number of Bogle's books and found them very relevant. I use index funds for part of my portfolio. I am long on a number of stocks to the point that taxes would kill me if I sold them. A good excuse to do nothing. Graham was a value guy. Always liked the idea that you bought a stock to hold it forever. Most investors who bought and held did just fine. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

43 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think you really hit on something there. The psychology involved in investing probably impacts results more than anything else. Confirmation bias. I am a fundamental investor but the reality is that numbers are usually to old and as a retail investor I have no real knowledge of what is happening in a particular company. I have read a number of Bogle's books and found them very relevant. I use index funds for part of my portfolio. I am long on a number of stocks to the point that taxes would kill me if I sold them. A good excuse to do nothing. Graham was a value guy. Always liked the idea that you bought a stock to hold it forever. Most investors who bought and held did just fine. 

I am a big fan of technical analysis. If you are a believer in market psychology. The market's psychology is on full display in the charts. And people repeat their same behaviors over and over. Of course you have to keep it fairly simple. Price, volume, a few moving averages, trend lines. No clutter like RSI, MACD, Bollinger bands, Ichimoku clouds (whatever the Hell that is).

Head_and_shoulders.gif

My favorite chart pattern.

55 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Mark Douglas has another book you may be interested in. It's called "The Disciplined Trader". It's a lot like "Trading In The Zone" but different enough to get people to buy it. Both are a little dry but well worth it if you are serious about figuring out why you make the decisions you do.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

What I hate most about trading.... deciding when to cash out.  

Much easier to preach to others what one ought to do, harder to actually take your own advice, lol.  

This. I had a lot of big gainers today, I probably should have cashed some out but by the same token they are companies that I believe in long term so my tendency is to hold.

28 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

BABA is looking ready to go next leg up. Should bounce here off support for a ride until Feb 2021 earnings call.

You trying to steal my ideas?

On 12/20/2020 at 7:16 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

What are people's thoughts on Alibaba (BABA)? It hasn't recovered since the ANT IPO fiasco but the decline has slowed and is starting to flatten around 260.