The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

There is no way I could possibly predict where x stock will be in 3 months. What I do know is that I feel very fortunate to have paid for my MSc degree tuition with the weed boom and now have a head start on the EV boom. In the last 9 months, we all could have thrown $h!T at a wall to pick stocks and made money. It has been a nice bull run that we have all enjoyed. But I don't have the skill set, knowledge, or expertise to beat the market in a 'normal' year, year over year, over time (ie. decades). I'm not in the 90th percentile in that regard. I'm a science guy. My plan has been to take advantage of the opportunities that this year has provided but moving forward I am blue chips, asset allocation and index fund style investments.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 12/31/2020 at 2:39 PM, inane said:

Well, 2020 was my first ever year investing after selling a property a year ago Jan 2nd. I didn't know what I was doing, took a few baths along the way, but thanks to those here, and a few others online--I'm pretty freaking stoked about this!

image.thumb.png.597253c357f2c0927cae0a44dd1d44b0.png

When I invested in late Feb and watched the market tank like that, I kinda peed a little, but glad I held on!

Best long term hold: TTD at 164% (2nd biggest position), SHOP at 155% (largest position), SQ at 153% (3rd largest position), PBW and WELL.ca at 150% each and HPQ at 150% (smaller position).

Best short term plays: NKLA at 275% (thanks to you guys!!)

Worst long term hold: BNS at -6% (5th largest position) and BAM.A (8th largest) 'Safe stocks' ya right!

Worst short term play: GNUS at -75% and MARK at -70% (luckily smallish positions) :)

Into 2021--looking forward to learning more from you guys and getting into warrants!

Completly missed this post, amazing bro.. That's a career right here..

• Like 2

vs4Sb3o.png

Dec. 29th ARKK added 700k shares of BIDU (about a 70% increase from its holdings at the start of the day). Three Chinese telecom giants just delisted from the NYSE. BIDU isn't telecom, but closely related (internet services) and who knows if some are going to want to now funnel money into BIDU in lieu of these other three. 

Chinese billionaire Jack Ma suspected missing

Mon 4 Jan 2021 02:41:29 GMT

Reports from a little earlier on Monday in Asia speculating about the apparent disappearance of the Alibaba founder.

Ma has been in conflict recently with China's central Communist Party government, the float of Ant was halted as a result. 

Via Yahoo news:
  • reports surfaced that the high-profile businessman has not made a public appearance in more than two months
  • also failed to appear as scheduled in the final episode of his own talent show

Xi is a straight up gangster. Can you really disappear Jack Ma?

If anyone is interested here's a good article about the state of play between Ma and Xi. https://qz.com/1946723/theres-no-place-for-a-jack-ma-in-todays-china/

1 minute ago, inane said:

What are we buying today!

I'm looking at MGNI, DDOG, CRWD

I took STPK at 16.87 for a bounce back and added to my other SPACs. 

Just holding, I know what I have and low volume red days because US brokers were down all morning + Georgia senate vote tomorrow aren't gonna scare me.

46 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

STPK got slammed today, o well, more for me. 

Added NGA like Arigold did as well, they have an amazon contract. 

Otherwise, just holding. 

This one gonna be a multi day runner... The action right now is unbelievable..

Just a straight shot upward.

43 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

This one gonna be a multi day runner... The action right now is unbelievable..

Just a straight shot upward.

Wouldn't be surprised if it hit $30 this week. Up 12% from my entry this morning already. 

2 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My gold play hit a home run today. B) Still looking to add to CVS. 

I have a feeling that quality undervalued stocks will start to go up.

BTW there are only a handful of those in this overpriced market.

I can see lot of bag holders chasing rockets like AI, PLTR, APPS etc.

Edited by CBH1926
  • Upvote 1