The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 1/8/2021 at 8:58 AM, Warhippy said:

DMGI.V

Made me bank this morning.  A group that formed to help facilitate crypto currency mining in North America.

Same here but with BITF - owns and operates server farms to validate Bitcoin transactions and earns crypto from transaction fees. Up 39% this past week. 

Edited by Down by the River

14 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I have a project this weekend and am looking for some ideas. The Mrs. has some money in her TFSA that we are looking to invest. About 15k or so. My TFSA is weighted to more green/EV with some telecom blue chips, energy, Apple, RBC, BMO etc. Her TFSA has mostly VGRO (vanguard growth fund) just to generally follow the equity market.

We monitor her TFSA much less because she is less interested in this stuff, so we are looking for more set and forget plays. I am looking at companies like Transalta Renewables (RNW) and we will probably nab some more VGRO.

Any other ideas out there?

I’m here reading a lot lately cause I’m trying to learn. And so far all I’ve done is to do everything exactly backwards.

That said, for a set-and-forget don’t we all just keep pounding the table for Cathie Wood etfs?

10 hours ago, nzan said:

I’m here reading a lot lately cause I’m trying to learn. And so far all I’ve done is to do everything exactly backwards.

That said, for a set-and-forget don’t we all just keep pounding the table for Cathie Wood etfs?

I started about 3 months ago. Since that time, ARKK is up 38.5%... I've been swimming upstream and had some decent success, but I would have been better off just parking everything in ARKK. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Same here but with BITF - Towns and operates server farms to validate Bitcoin transactions and earns crypto from transaction fees. Up 39% this past week. 

why not just buy bitcoin instead?

1 hour ago, Down by the River said:

I started about 3 months ago. Since that time, ARKK is up 38.5%... I've been swimming upstream and had some decent success, but I would have been better off just parking everything in ARKK. 

buying bitcoin?

check wise ;) 

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

Why Not Both GIFs | Tenor

But the main difference is transaction fees. I pay to buy and sell bitcoin. I don't pay to buy and sell BITF. Plus BITF isn't tied directly to bitcoin so it gives me a bit of diversity. 

diversity is a meme when we already know the winner of the race is bitcoin itself ;)

but fair enough, looking at that website just gave me serious scam vibes

1 minute ago, GLASSJAW said:

diversity is a meme when we already know the winner of the race is bitcoin itself ;)

but fair enough, looking at that website just gave me serious scam vibes

All bad blood aside.  Bitcoin gives me the heebie jeebies to begin with

A currency that is not physical or tangible, governed by no actual government bodies, traded nowhere but online, essentially not in fact spendable anywhere and the machines that exist to exchange limit your daily amount for obvious reasons.

I'm invested in Bitcoin, Ethereum and now WISE but it's very minor because at any point in time it could vanish.  

My favorite analogy to it was like buying in game currency for World of Warcraft and asking why your bank wouldn't accept it for bill payments

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

A currency that is not physical or tangible, governed by no actual government bodies, traded nowhere but online, essentially not in fact spendable anywhere and the machines that exist to exchange limit your daily amount for obvious reasons.

I'm invested in Bitcoin, Ethereum and now WISE but it's very minor because at any point in time it could vanish.  

My favorite analogy to it was like buying in game currency for World of Warcraft and asking why your bank wouldn't accept it for bill payments

except now banks are buying it

Arkk will have some more money pour in next week after an article came out about how Cathie Wood’s bullish thesis for Tesla came true and her (at the time) outrageous price target was hit yesterday.

We already know our Queen is legit but now many more will, especially the tesla cult. 

Edited by NucksPatsFan

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Ditto.

I've done a bit of reading about bitcoin and I still don't understand it.

It seems as though people are putting their monetary faith in an algorithm of some sort.

6 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

Ditto.

I've done a bit of reading about bitcoin and I still don't understand it.

It seems as though people are putting their monetary faith in an algorithm of some sort.

This is why I am so late to the game. I remember watching Youtube videos back in like 2010 explaining Bitcoin... I got a wallet and was all ready to go, but the more I paid attention the less I understood. That's probably in large part because this doesn't come easy to me; I don't have the aptitude for this the way others do. As much as I also don't understand common stocks, at least I understand WHY I don't understand certain things. With cryptocurrency, I felt like the odd man out with everyone seemingly knowing something that I couldn't understand.

I recently invested a small amount of money in both BTC and ETH with the hope that have a small amount of skin in the game would motivate me to learn more about where I put my money. 

27 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This is why I am so late to the game. I remember watching Youtube videos back in like 2010 explaining Bitcoin... I got a wallet and was all ready to go, but the more I paid attention the less I understood. That's probably in large part because this doesn't come easy to me; I don't have the aptitude for this the way others do. As much as I also don't understand common stocks, at least I understand WHY I don't understand certain things. With cryptocurrency, I felt like the odd man out with everyone seemingly knowing something that I couldn't understand.

I recently invested a small amount of money in both BTC and ETH with the hope that have a small amount of skin in the game would motivate me to learn more about where I put my money. 

That's got to sting.

You could be a very rich man now.

But I guess most of us have some sort of story like that.   I was thinking of investing in Starbucks back in the early nineties but changed my mind.    :sadno:

30 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

That's got to sting.

But I guess most of us have some sort of story like that.   I was thinking of investing in Starbucks back in the early nineties but changed my mind.    :sadno:

Didn't buy Starbucks because I didn't like the taste of their coffee. Simple me sometimes.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:16 AM, Down by the River said:

Why Not Both GIFs | Tenor

But the main difference is transaction fees. I pay to buy and sell bitcoin. I don't pay to buy and sell BITF. Plus BITF isn't tied directly to bitcoin so it gives me a bit of diversity. 

where do you buy?

23 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

That's got to sting.

Have you heard about the 200 million dollar pizza order?