The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

On 1/9/2021 at 11:05 AM, Warhippy said:

All bad blood aside.  Bitcoin gives me the heebie jeebies to begin with

A currency that is not physical or tangible, governed by no actual government bodies, traded nowhere but online, essentially not in fact spendable anywhere and the machines that exist to exchange limit your daily amount for obvious reasons.

I'm invested in Bitcoin, Ethereum and now WISE but it's very minor because at any point in time it could vanish.  

My favorite analogy to it was like buying in game currency for World of Warcraft and asking why your bank wouldn't accept it for bill payments

I'm in the same wagon. I can't wrap my head around this underground currency that's seems to be conjured from thin air.

I played around with it back in the day but my heart couldn't handle the massive influxes of my money going up and down $2000 every 10 minutes.

I cashed out and pretty much broke even, and then never touched it again. I mean in hindsight I wish I had stayed in but whatever my mentality is can't cry over spilt milk. I'm just glad I didn't lose, and carry on with life.

I've semi-jokingly said that if one day the coin suddenly just goes dark or craters, there's going to be mass suicides.

I have a co-worker that has a LOT of her savings in there... I didn't want to be the one giving her life advice but I casually mentioned she should cash out sooner rather than later, don't be too greedy. She tells me she's gonna ride it until it quadruples then she's gonna retire ... :shock:

18 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Prediction...

IPOD = AutoGrid

IPOF = Rivian

If IPOF turns into Rivian I will take out my whole line of credit and buy as many shares as I can.

How do you know when these SPAC's will declare who it is? And when you find out, isn't it then too late? Might gamble on IPOF

45 minutes ago, inane said:

How do you know when these SPAC's will declare who it is? And when you find out, isn't it then too late? Might gamble on IPOF

It's about buying pre-letter of intent and holding on.

Most SPAC's will tell you who they're targeting. They won't tell you when they'll announce their target. It was a normal Monday morning yesterday and out of no where news began breaking about rumours of Lucid and CCIV talking. 

For example I loaded PDAC around 10.40 and warrants at 1.50 even though they have no target, they're run by one of PLUG's directors, who ran the clean energy fund for Obama and Biden, and are targeting a clean energy stock.

Don't know who it'll be but I bought into the SPAC's management team, and the space.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

16 minutes ago, inane said:

Where do you get your info for newly listed SPAC's?

You can read up the SPAC sub-reddit.  Being Reddit... just be very careful as there are lots of pumpers/dumpers, trolls, etc.  But it's still a good place for info... kinda like Wikipedia, best to verify yourself if the stuff posted there is legit or not.  

Stocktwits is similar, but like Twitter.... faster and less detailed.  Still gotta do your DD there too.  

1 hour ago, inane said:

are PDAC and IPOF worth getting into at this point? I would like to dip my toes

For PDAC, it's about $11... so only $1 more than NAV.  It hasn't taken off yet.  

If you really want to chance it... you can always play the warrants.  But should the company just decide to walk away, you get nothing for the warrants whereas for the commons you still get back 10 bucks.  

For IPOF... lots of hype, but the guy involved has had a few SPAC that has turned out well.  SPCE and OPEN are now both over $25.  Assuming IPOF follows the same trend, even entering at $14 will be okay.  Of course, with all SPAC, it can always fall through, so you could easily lose a third of your investment.  

A lot depends on if you're just hoping to sell on the news or if you're hoping to hold as long as possible to maximize value (whatever/whenever that may be).  Warrants are cheaper and has more room for massive gains... but risky.

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

For PDAC, it's about $11... so only $1 more than NAV.  It hasn't taken off yet.  

If you really want to chance it... you can always play the warrants.  But should the company just decide to walk away, you get nothing for the warrants whereas for the commons you still get back 10 bucks.  

For IPOF... lots of hype, but the guy involved has had a few SPAC that has turned out well.  SPCE and OPEN are now both over $25.  Assuming IPOF follows the same trend, even entering at $14 will be okay.  Of course, with all SPAC, it can always fall through, so you could easily lose a third of your investment.  

A lot depends on if you're just hoping to sell on the news or if you're hoping to hold as long as possible to maximize value (whatever/whenever that may be).  Warrants are cheaper and has more room for massive gains... but risky.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I envision it's probably a good idea if you have the money, to just scope out the major SPACs that are still near the strike price. Do your DD and make sure they have good management and just put your money into them all. The ones that get a deal - you're minting. The ones that don't - you lose only a little bit. Good risk/reward ratio and takes very little effort.