The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well today marked my return to full time stock trading after a 5 year break to trade mainly foreign exchange and futures.

Feel a little guilty reporting my biggest winner today was short BB. :lol: Don't buy garbage. It always ends the same.

Where do I subscribe

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Well today marked my return to full time stock trading after a 5 year break to trade mainly foreign exchange and futures.

Feel a little guilty reporting my biggest winner today was short BB. :lol: Don't buy garbage. It always ends the same.

To be fair I bought into BB after I read something on WallStreetBets saying BB couldn't go tits up.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:48 PM, AriGold2.0 said:

CEO Yoav Stern's recent interview with Red Chip Money Report airs Sunday on Bloomberg International.  He'll be discussing the company's game changing fabrication and technology as well future growth plans......and probably another offering. 

• Wat 1

22 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Didn’t realize Monday was a holiday in the states making today the Friday before a long weekend :blink:

Yeah, I didn't like this.. haha.. I'm selfish, who's MLK anyways ? (J/K Relax anybody who just Karened)

20 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Blackberry?  Why is that?

Crowdstrike and BlackBerry do the same thing except BB does it better. BB does 1B in revenue, CRWD does 180M. BB has a 5.5B market cap and CRWD has a 48B market cap..

BB needs to shed the stink of being a phone company and now being a dominant cybersecurity technology company.

18 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

Just been a massive rollercoaster day. If I wasn't working, I would have day traded this and made bank.

I wish I could, I don't want to ruin my average, lol... 

15 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Where do I subscribe

Second this.. Let's get a daily morning blog!!

On 1/15/2021 at 5:00 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Tesla also showing resistance against the red day. Elon is only down 0.3%

Tesla is going to be very interesting, because the competition especially in China and Europe is stiff. Consider all the up and coming Chinese car manufactures like Nio, BYD and Xpeng. Nio and Xpeng announced to start selling cars in Europe last week. Not to forget the german car manufacturers like VW, BMW and Daimler. All of them will launch E-cars in Europe and China beginning in 2021.

Read a report from an analyst of a big US investment bank saying that he expects that the Tesla sales will peak in the midst of this century. The rationale behind this statement is that other car manufactures take market share agressively. Nio and Xpeng produce high quality E-cars with a great design. Same goes for the German car manufacturers. Fair to say that Tesla is the first mover. They really are, but other car manufacturers have been starting to hunt them.

Another aspect is Tesla*s valuation at the stock market which is insanely high. Some analysts from US investment banks said that they don*t get the company valuation of Tesla.

It's possible that Tesla will go up further, but the end of this development is near.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

26 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Tesla is going to be very interesting, because the competition especially in China and Europe is stiff. Consider all the up and coming Chinese car manufactures like Nio, BYD and Xpeng. Nio and Xpeng announced to start selling cars in Europe last week. Not to forget the german car manufacturers like VW, BMW and Daimler. All of them will launch E-cars in Europe and China beginning in 2021.

Read a report from an analyst of a big US investment bank saying that he expects that the Tesla sales will peak in the midst of this century. The rationale behind this statement is that other car manufactures take market share agressively. Nio and Xpeng produce high quality E-cars with a great design. Same goes for the German car manufacturers. Fair to say that Tesla is the first mover. They really are, but other car manufacturers have been starting to hunt them.

Another aspect is Tesla*s valuation at the stock market which is insanely high. Some analysts from US investment banks said that they don*t get the company valuation of Tesla.

It's possible that Tesla will go up further, but the end of this development is near.

Yeah, you're not wrong. Tesla has the qualitative value of hype, Elon, branding etc. The "not just a car company, also an energy company" messaging needs to come to fruition in order for it to be the global powerhouse that many people are anticipating, including Chamath Palihapitiya and Cathie Wood. The analysts coming out and saying Tesla is a $40 stock are out to lunch. Their growth is insane. Their gigafactory potential is insane. A lot needs to happen though and volatilty is going to be part of the process. I've doubled on Tesla, wish I was in earlier but I'm also watching closely because I know my gains are fragile. What is being said about Tesla now was being said about Amazon 10 years ago. I'm not saying Tesla will be the next Amazon but they have a chance. A lot needs to go right though.

As for China, again - it's going to be interesting. They are the world's biggest market with a mandate to have 20% EVs on the road by 2025, 50% EVs by 2030 (2035? I forget). I'm also in Nio (who have a working relationship with VW) which I think has the potential to actually gain more than Tesla over the next 10 years on a relative basis. I can see it paying off for Tesla this decade but once Nio and others catch up I can see Tesla losing favour in China. By 2030ish Tesla will need to have fulfilled their 'energy' company destiny. I can see China going for the same Chinese pride in EVs that we have seen in the USA for pick up trucks (Ford, Dodge, Chevy). This will not favour Tesla. Though I think, due to the current technology gap, that this is years down the road.

24 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Roughly 80 million vehicles sold in the world each year. 17-18 million in the USA. The EV culture argues how quickly their numbers will climb over the next 5 - 10 years but totally ignore the infrastructure upgrading that will have to accompany such increases. It isn't happening now and will likely not happen fast enough even if there was a demand. If self driving becomes reality I can see a sharp decline in car ownership and a radical change in public transport. 

Estimates of infrastructure upgrade costs are $1.8 to 2.5 trillion per year. Where is the money coming from? Central banks around the world are buying their own bonds because no one wants them. One of the first spending priorities from Biden was $300 billion to state and city coffers. They are broke. 

What can happen? Perhaps a review of the 2008-09 credit crisis or even last March when markets imploded and shed trillions of $'s in a matter of weeks. There were no buyers. When confidence is lost everything grinds to a halt. The largest economy in the world (16%) is imploding into social unrest. Does anyone think Biden will save the situation? The USA had the economic strength built over 200 years that successive administrations have frittered away.   

All this is important to investors because it is shortening the willingness to invest in financial markets for the long term. Public markets will suffer.  

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Yeah, you're not wrong. Tesla has the qualitative value of hype, Elon, branding etc. The "not just a car company, also an energy company" messaging needs to come to fruition in order for it to be the global powerhouse that many people are anticipating, including Chamath Palihapitiya and Cathie Wood. The analysts coming out and saying Tesla is a $40 stock are out to lunch. Their growth is insane. Their gigafactory potential is insane. A lot needs to happen though and volatilty is going to be part of the process. I've doubled on Tesla, wish I was in earlier but I'm also watching closely because I know my gains are fragile. What is being said about Tesla now was being said about Amazon 10 years ago. I'm not saying Tesla will be the next Amazon but they have a chance. A lot needs to go right though.

As for China, again - it's going to be interesting. They are the world's biggest market with a mandate to have 20% EVs on the road by 2025, 50% EVs by 2030 (2035? I forget). I'm also in Nio (who have a working relationship with VW) which I think has the potential to actually gain more than Tesla over the next 10 years on a relative basis. I can see it paying off for Tesla this decade but once Nio and others catch up I can see Tesla losing favour in China. By 2030ish Tesla will need to have fulfilled their 'energy' company destiny. I can see China going for the same Chinese pride in EVs that we have seen in the USA for pick up trucks (Ford, Dodge, Chevy). This will not favour Tesla. Though I think, due to the current technology gap, that this is years down the road.

You are right: The more cars Tesla is going to produce the cheaper they can offer the cars which should enable them to take market share. In 2021 Tesla will begin to produce cars in their gigafactory close to Berlin in Germany. They already produce in their gigafactory in Shanghai more cars they can sell in China. Heard that the surplus is shipped to Europe.

Some insiders think that Tesla is 2-3 years ahead of  the German car manufacturers when it comes to technology. The huge advantage of Tesla is that it*s basically a software company and Tesla build their cars around the Software. Contrary to that the german car manufacturers focused on the hardware in the past. They noticed that they have to set up software teams to close the gap.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Roughly 80 million vehicles sold in the world each year. 17-18 million in the USA. The EV culture argues how quickly their numbers will climb over the next 5 - 10 years but totally ignore the infrastructure upgrading that will have to accompany such increases. It isn't happening now and will likely not happen fast enough even if there was a demand. If self driving becomes reality I can see a sharp decline in car ownership and a radical change in public transport. 

Estimates of infrastructure upgrade costs are $1.8 to 2.5 trillion per year. Where is the money coming from? Central banks around the world are buying their own bonds because no one wants them. One of the first spending priorities from Biden was $300 billion to state and city coffers. They are broke. 

What can happen? Perhaps a review of the 2008-09 credit crisis or even last March when markets imploded and shed trillions of $'s in a matter of weeks. There were no buyers. When confidence is lost everything grinds to a halt. The largest economy in the world (16%) is imploding into social unrest. Does anyone think Biden will save the situation? The USA had the economic strength built over 200 years that successive administrations have frittered away.   

All this is important to investors because it is shortening the willingness to invest in financial markets for the long term. Public markets will suffer.  

100% agree.

We will see another financial crisis.

Quantitative Easing won*t last forever. Central bank*s  buy time but they can*t prevent the next financial crisis. Personally I hold back money waiting for the next financial crisis only to invest when the stock market plunged.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

You are right: The more cars Tesla is going to produce the cheaper they can offer the cars which should enable them to take market share. In 2021 Tesla will begin to produce cars in their gigafactory close to Berlin in Germany. They already produce in their gigafactory in Shanghai more cars they can sell in China. Heard that the surplus is shipped to Europe.

Some insiders think that Tesla is 2-3 years ahead of  the German car manufacturers when it comes to technology. The huge advantage of Tesla is that it*s basically a software company and Tesla build their cars around the Software. Contrary to that the german car manufacturers focused on the hardware in the past. They noticed that they have to set up software teams to close the gap.

Their model is also an advantage. All other car companies have huge lots that they need to pay for, maintain, franchise etc. Tesla has a show room or two with all orders made online. The cost cutting through this model is huge.

4 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

100% agree.

Quantitative Easing won*t last forever. Central bank*s  buy time but they can*t prevent the next financial crisis. Personally I hold back money waiting for the next financial crisis only to invest when the stock market plunged.

The question is when. I think this year and some of next should be pretty positive. More of a 'hallelujah Covid is behind us' kind of run. But yes, the piper has to be paid at some point. Though Jerome Powell doesn't seem to be too concerned - the question is whether or not we take him at face value.

13 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Their model is also an advantage. All other car companies have huge lots that they need to pay for, maintain, franchise etc. Tesla has a show room or two with all orders made online. The cost cutting through this model is huge.

The question is when. I think this year and some of next should be pretty positive. More of a 'hallelujah Covid is behind us' kind of run. But yes, the piper has to be paid at some point. Though Jerome Powell doesn't seem to be too concerned - the question is whether or not we take him at face value.

agree, there*s a lot of money in the market which should be positive for the overall development of the stock market. We will see some more stimulus in the US from the Biden admin. It*s really difficult to predict the timing of the next crash. I decided to be careful because the market has risen extremely fast over the last couple of month. Some stocks are overvalued / hyped.

8 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

100% agree.

No doubt the powers that be will be using the metaphorical printing press for as long as they can.  

No POTUS will want to be at the helm of a major recession/depression.  

Xinnie the Pooh will be spending as much as possible to maintain power.  

Whether it will follow this chart... it does make you think...

February | 2015 | Armstrong Economics | Economics, Economic model, Armstrong

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

No doubt the powers that be will be using the metaphorical printing press for as long as they can.  

No POTUS will want to be at the helm of a major recession/depression.  

Xinnie the Pooh will be spending as much as possible to maintain power.  

Whether it will follow this chart... it does make you think...

February | 2015 | Armstrong Economics | Economics, Economic model, Armstrong

Out of curiosity, what is the thesis behind that chart?

17 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Out of curiosity, what is the thesis behind that chart?

The economist Martin Armstrong.  https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/

I can't really describe it well.... just lots of research for past historical trends, technical analysis, social/economic/political changes, etc.  

He is a guest on Michael Campbell's Moneytalks every once in a while.  

Not sure if it's really an accurate guide for what's to come, or just a chart of confirmation biases... but it's does give some food for thought.  

• Cheers 1

What's the view on REIT stocks right now in the US?

The us government coming out and saying part of the stimulus will ensure people's rent is paid and small commercial operations will have their leases covered.

Should be a bump in some of them you'd think?

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The us government coming out and saying part of the stimulus will ensure people's rent is paid and small commercial operations will have their leases covered.

Personally, I'm staying away from commercial real estate. Over the long term I think more and more corporations are going to rely more on remote operation to cut costs. For the small businesses, many of them haven't or won't survive the economic consequences of the pandemic. Some may start up again in the next few years but that is a couple of years away in a 'best case' scenario.

Residential real estate on the other hand has been a good dividend paying investment. People will need a place to live and pay rent.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

REIT stocks is quite the opposite of the Tech hype which has been going on for so many years. It's actually a low risk investment because the dividends paid are rooted in stable cash flows of the real estate companies. Sure thing I would say.

• Cheers 1