The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Anyone here actually day trade as a livelihood?  

I (now with recent trades these last few months) have a decent size for trading.  

Now really expecting to be driving a Ferrari, buying a beach house in Hawaii or have a personal jet... just rather be working for myself instead of being a "wage slave".  

22 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Couldn't you argue that the upcoming stimulus package is already priced into the markets? We've been expecting this ever since Biden got elected.

"____ already baked into the price" is what bears say when they are trying to down talk upcoming catalysts. 

Stimulus will be big for infrastructure and green stocks, as well BTC should see a spike too. 

I think SPY will test 360s in February before rising to 400s in the spring. Just an opinion. 

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

*Says the wrong name during sex*

Wife: who the hell is Cathie Wood?! 

not my original idea just found it hilarious 

Have you ever seen the chart which compared the development of ARK Invest with the S&P 500?`ARK invest is actually slighly below the curve of the S&P 500. Don*t get the hype surrounding Cathie Wood. Whenever she*s introduced they are saying she had the right nose for Tesla early. I mean there were so many people out there that had the same nose.

31 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

"____ already baked into the price" is what bears say when they are trying to down talk upcoming catalysts. 

Stimulus will be big for infrastructure and green stocks, as well BTC should see a spike too. 

I think SPY will test 360s in February before rising to 400s in the spring. Just an opinion. 

Perhaps, but the markets have already had 2 months to react to Biden's election victory.

Unless there was some fear of Biden not enacting a stimulus package? But I highly doubt that.

15 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Have you ever seen the chart which compared the development of ARK Invest with the S&P 500?`ARK invest is actually slighly below the curve of the S&P 500. Don*t get the hype surrounding Cathie Wood. Whenever she*s introduced they are saying she had the right nose for Tesla early. I mean there were so many people out there that had the same nose.

Which chart are you referring to? I just checked SPY's 5 year chart - it has doubled since 2016. ARKK has 10x since 2016.

31 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Which chart are you referring to? I just checked SPY's 5 year chart - it has doubled since 2016. ARKK has 10x since 2016.

needed a couple of minutes to find it: here "u" go.

https://investorvideos.com/2020/12/20/cathie-wood-predicts-the-next-tesla-stock/

to be more specific it was the ark invest innovation fund i was referring to - at minute 5:01 of the video. I admit that "ark invest" in my post above was vague.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

No one's bullish thesis on Tesla came close to Cathie's. 

3 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Anyone here actually day trade as a livelihood?  

I (now with recent trades these last few months) have a decent size for trading.  

Now really expecting to be driving a Ferrari, buying a beach house in Hawaii or have a personal jet... just rather be working for myself instead of being a "wage slave".  

I have been trading for a living for about 22 years. First 17 years trading stocks both retail and prop. Was feeling pretty burned out and switched over to Forex and futures trading for about 5 years. Got the itch to switch back to stocks and did so recently.

Nothing beats working for yourself. Not having to answer to anyone is priceless.

The psychology of trading for yourself is very difficult. When you have to make money vs 'it would be nice if I made money' it's a totally different animal. The general rule is if you're going to attempt it is you must be properly capitalized and you need about 1 year's living expenses separate from your trading capital. Much easier to take on this endevor when you're young and have minimal expenses. When you have a spouse a kid(s) and a mortgage it just adds to the pressure.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Perhaps, but the markets have already had 2 months to react to Biden's election victory.

Unless there was some fear of Biden not enacting a stimulus package? But I highly doubt that.

The market was also expecting a stimulus in august, then september, then october. 

19 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have been trading for a living for about 22 years. First 17 years trading stocks both retail and prop. Was feeling pretty burned out and switched over to Forex and futures trading for about 5 years. Got the itch to switch back to stocks and did so recently.

Nothing beats working for yourself. Not having to answer to anyone is priceless.

The psychology of trading for yourself is very difficult. When you have to make money vs 'it would be nice if I made money' it's a totally different animal. The general rule is if you're going to attempt it is you must be properly capitalized and you need about 1 year's living expenses separate from your trading capital. Much easier to take on this endevor when you're young and have minimal expenses. When you have a spouse a kid(s) and a mortgage it just adds to the pressure.

Dang.....

I guess I'll just remain an "active investor" for now.  

Little update to Friday as it was my first day after my switch back to full time stock trading. I found staring at a Level2 trading screen and time and sales window was of little use and frankly made me a tad queasy. Not sure how I use to look at that 8 hours a day. It use to be a very valuable tool now it's of little use apart from order entry. Though I'd say it's absolutely necessary for quick order entry. You can still (sometimes) spot what the algos are doing from watching Level2. Depending on your time frame that may be of use.

In the end trading is trading. The tools may evolve a little but it's just comes down to getting a feel for price action and trusting yourself. As well as incorporating proper risk management.

Very glad this was a 3 day weekend. Got a new PC. Takes such a bloody long time setting up a new machine. Junked all my old monitors and replaced them with larger ones. My old desk is no longer going to work so I will have to order a new one. In the meantime had to dismantle the upper half of my old desk to make room for everything. Still lots to do. 

• Cheers 1

Dont day trade lol. Everyone thinks they're a genius/overestimates their abilities but forget that we're in the longest bull market ever.

A child could've made 100% return over the last few years by just picking a couple names they're familiar with.

Buy and Hold. 

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

needed a couple of minutes to find it: here "u" go.

https://investorvideos.com/2020/12/20/cathie-wood-predicts-the-next-tesla-stock/

to be more specific it was the ark invest innovation fund i was referring to - at minute 5:01 of the video. I admit that "ark invest" in my post above was vague.

It looks like you misread the graph. The Y axis values on the left apply to ARK Innovation fund which I believe is ARKK. The Y axis values on the right apply to the S&P500. At first glance it is a misleading graph but if you stop and do the math you'll see that ARK approximately 9x'd (10x with today's pricing of $141) vs a doubling for the S&P500.

image.png.a2c38b4cad2e6fede949067e169e53e8.png

• Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

It looks like you misread the graph. The Y axis values on the left apply to ARK Innovation fund which I believe is ARKK. The Y axis values on the right apply to the S&P500. At first glance it is a misleading graph but if you stop and do the math you'll see that ARK approximately 9x'd (10x with today's pricing of $141) vs a doubling for the S&P500.

image.png.a2c38b4cad2e6fede949067e169e53e8.png

Holy $&!# lol. This is like a Fox news graph. Failing to scale the Y-axis is like Grade 9 stuff. 

r/CrappyDesign - The y-axis on this Fox News graph of Coronavirus cases

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, themcdeal said:

Dont day trade lol. Everyone thinks they're a genius/overestimates their abilities but forget that we're in the longest bull market ever.

A child could've made 100% return over the last few years by just picking a couple names they're familiar with.

Buy and Hold. 

100 over a few years?

If it ain't 100 in a week I don't want it B)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Little update to Friday as it was my first day after my switch back to full time stock trading. I found staring at a Level2 trading screen and time and sales window was of little use and frankly made me a tad queasy. Not sure how I use to look at that 8 hours a day. It use to be a very valuable tool now it's of little use apart from order entry. Though I'd say it's absolutely necessary for quick order entry. You can still (sometimes) spot what the algos are doing from watching Level2. Depending on your time frame that may be of use.

In the end trading is trading. The tools may evolve a little but it's just comes down to getting a feel for price action and trusting yourself. As well as incorporating proper risk management.

Very glad this was a 3 day weekend. Got a new PC. Takes such a bloody long time setting up a new machine. Junked all my old monitors and replaced them with larger ones. My old desk is no longer going to work so I will have to order a new one. In the meantime had to dismantle the upper half of my old desk to make room for everything. Still lots to do. 

I have this one: MANCHESTER White lacquered desk with storage cabinet Desk 1 (structube.com)

She's a beauty. Fits 3 27" Samsung curved monitor and my laptop, and that's still only ~40% of the desk space. 

• Cheers 1