The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

This whole thing pisses me off. I legit looked at GME last summer to buy because I like games and gaming stores and gaming companies and their price was dirt cheap. But I was reading about how they were going bankrupt getting crushed by online sales and online services so I didn't bother. And now all that is being defied because of reddit. Even a few hundred bucks back then I'd be retired today. 

not because reddit, it was the greed of hedge funds who shorted over 140% of the stock. it just became a math problem after that, and Jason Burry and Wsb figured it out, the rest is history.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

What's the conspiracy theory behind why AMC will moon tomorrow?

There was 1 for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and today.

Could just be some trying to relieve pressure on GME?

I mean there are tons of articles, TV segments, etc all talking about how WSB are flooding into SLV.  Yet pretty much every thread on WSB are telling people to avoid SLV.  Some people out there are trying to change the narrative.  

13 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Are there any stocks you guys are currently looking at? Outside of BB, AMC, NOK, and GME.... 

The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient." - Warren Buffett

hqdefault.jpg

Edited by kingofsurrey
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

How are you guys keeping up with your 9-5 jobs while trading? I find that I can barely keep up with 1 or 2 of my positions while working, and that's only because I'm working from home. 

I don't think I'd have time to watch the markets at all if it wasn't for COVID forcing everyone to work from home.

Usually set buy orders before market opens (not a good idea but what can I do), maybe check it once during the day or so, then when I get off work see how it does. My work starts right at market open. For the most part I don't do days/pennies, most of my stuff are looking like month+ generally so even on changes during the day don't bother me much especially since I probably won't be playing with them anyways.  

IE.  I got stuff like PDAC, STPK, TSLA, SE, IPWR taking up 80% of my portfolio so I have no need to really look constantly as they are all long growers hopefully.  Then I have some other smaller positions in ones that will jump around a little more than I trim off of every so often.

Edited by Russ

12 hours ago, Russ said:

Usually set buy orders before market opens (not a good idea but what can I do), maybe check it once during the day or so, then when I get off work see how it does. My work starts right at market open. For the most part I don't do days/pennies, most of my stuff are looking like month+ generally so even on changes during the day don't bother me much especially since I probably won't be playing with them anyways.  

IE.  I got stuff like PDAC, STPK, TSLA, SE, IPWR taking up 80% of my portfolio so I have no need to really look constantly as they are all long growers hopefully.  Then I have some other smaller positions in ones that will jump around a little more than I trim off of every so often.

2 of my favourite holdings. 0 stress when they fell during reddit craze. Stpk bounced from 25 back to 33 like that. 

• Cheers 1

The tears are flowing as GME crumbles below $100 in a 60% decline

Tue 2 Feb 2021 15:38:42 GMT

It lived fast and died young

Everyone has diamond hands until they're sitting on a one-day 60% decline.

Technically, the break of the January 28 after hours low isn't a good sign. You can pump something all you want but you better have a better fundamental story than 'let's squeeze hedge funds'.

Meanwhile, the tears are starting to flow with Davey "stocks only go up" Daytrader and the WSB bagholders taking some medicine.

WSB userdaytrader

I can't believe Portnoy trades at RobinHood. What an idiot.

26 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Technically, the break of the January 28 after hours low isn't a good sign. You can pump something all you want but you better have a better fundamental story than 'let's squeeze hedge funds'.

Meanwhile, the tears are starting to flow with Davey "stocks only go up" Daytrader and the WSB bagholders taking some medicine.

WSB userdaytrader

Inevitable. I told people on Facebook who kept buying "the dip" and were "holding the line" to get out now because it's all going to implode. They responded by saying I don't know anything about the market; that the stock is going "to the moon." I told them I know enough not to stupidly jump on the bandwagon with no real logic or supporting facts behind this insane stock price. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Inevitable. I told people on Facebook who kept buying "the dip" and were "holding the line" to get out now because it's all going to implode. They responded by saying I don't know anything about the market; that the stock is going "to the moon." I told them I know enough not to stupidly jump on the bandwagon with no real logic or supporting facts behind this insane stock price. 

A friend added me to a local whatsapp group chat that day traders are in. They kept using those terms hold the line, not scared, buy these dips. So I've been buying puts at market open on AMC every morning and closing within 60 minutes lol.

Too bad this AMC can't last all year otherwise I'd take a 1 year break from work 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

WSB userdaytrader

Yikes, that's too bad, I was hoping they'd hold on. Glad I'm a chickens---.

Edit: This is interesting though: 

https://www.thefocus.news/business/what-is-short-ladder-attack/

Why the hell is this even allowed?

Edited by canuckster19

9 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

It's a broken system alright. Carson Block of Muddy Waters on BNN the other day said so, fwiw.

21 minutes ago, canuckster19 said:

Pretty sketchy there.  Especially when you factor in a trading platform putting restrictions on the retailers as well.  Pretty much stacking the deck if you ask me.