The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'd disagree.

Small Victoria based company flew from IPO at 25 cents per share to a high of just under $10/share in 6 months. Healthy retracements now while they have expanded their business like crazy, have increased production, more marketing, more US distribution. A lot of us in this thread have averages in the $2 or $3/share range

I don't know what you are disagreeing about? They are down about 15% the last two months. 

9 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

I don't know what you are disagreeing about? They are down about 15% the last two months. 

After running 3500% from ipo in 6 months (I think 0.25 to 9.25 equals that?), down 15% is an issue? A stock needs to retrace and consolidate, especially with a very big earnings call and guidance coming up.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

After running 3500% from ipo in 6 months (I think 0.25 to 9.25 equals that?), down 15% is an issue? A stock needs to retrace and consolidate, especially with a very big earnings call and guidance coming up.

I didn't say the stock was an issue (in fact I said the opposite)... I own VERY. The fact is that it is down 15% in the last few months. This is just a fact. 

Edited by Down by the River
Just now, Down by the River said:

I didn't say the stock was an issue... I own VERY. The fact is that it is down 15% in the last few months. This is just a fact. 

I didn't dispute the fact. I can see it is down. I disagreed with the sentiment that it's disappointing for a stock that has paid generously is retracing and consolidating. Unless, of course, someone bought the top and are in the red.

4 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I didn't dispute the fact. I can see it is down. I disagreed with the sentiment that it's disappointing for a stock that has paid generously is retracing and consolidating. Unless, of course, someone bought the top and are in the red.

You're disagreeing with an argument that I didn't make. 

I doubt if many here will shed any tears over this story but I found it interesting:

***************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/08/business/wall-street-short-sellers-game-stop.html

Wall Street’s Most Reviled Investors Worry About Their Fate

Fahmi Quadir fears for her safety, so whenever she travels, she shares her GPS coordinates with her lawyer and a colleague. Nate Koppikar was once tailed by a private investigator into the bathroom in his own office. And Gabe Plotkin recently hired security after threats to his family.

Digging up dirt on big companies, it turns out, doesn’t make you very popular.

Ms. Quadir, Mr. Koppikar and Mr. Plotkin are short sellers — investors who profit off the failures of companies by betting that their share prices will fall. For this, they are reviled by executives and shareholders alike. Short-selling itself is banned in some countries. Dealing with such hatred, Ms. Quadir said, is “a cost of doing business.”

5 minutes ago, UnkNuk said:

I doubt if many here will shed any tears over this story but I found it interesting:

***************************************************************************************************************************************

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/08/business/wall-street-short-sellers-game-stop.html

Wall Street’s Most Reviled Investors Worry About Their Fate

Fahmi Quadir fears for her safety, so whenever she travels, she shares her GPS coordinates with her lawyer and a colleague. Nate Koppikar was once tailed by a private investigator into the bathroom in his own office. And Gabe Plotkin recently hired security after threats to his family.

Digging up dirt on big companies, it turns out, doesn’t make you very popular.

Ms. Quadir, Mr. Koppikar and Mr. Plotkin are short sellers — investors who profit off the failures of companies by betting that their share prices will fall. For this, they are reviled by executives and shareholders alike. Short-selling itself is banned in some countries. Dealing with such hatred, Ms. Quadir said, is “a cost of doing business.”

Now no one should ever feel unsafe but if you're going to do "buisness" that you know is going to affect people because your a scummy person, might be time to rethink your strategy. 

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Uranium is a tough market to understand.  Everything points to it going up... but I've been in a few dogs that just worth a fraction of initial investment.  The lack of political will in the First World countries with continuing nuclear energy makes it an industry many avoid.  Places like China are still building nuke plants though... but I believe they have their own domestic uranium sources or they are sourced from CCP-friendly jurisdictions.  

I personally prefer owning the physical metal rather than EFT... but there is a markup to the coins and bullions.  If an ounce of silver is 20 bucks, the coin/bullion probably sells for like $22-24.  The markup are proportionally less once you buy large bars.... like maybe the 100oz silver bar will be only $2150 instead of the $2200-2400 if you purchase 100 separate pieces.  

If you are really serious about getting into precious metals, you have to decide on what your ultimate purpose is.  You want it as a hedge and diversification, then large units.  If you think it will be some type of collapse of fiat currency or some type of doomsday scenario where bartering will be the next "decentralized" economy... then smaller units are easier to trade with.

I recommend checking out the Canadian mint for some of their products.  I remember I got some $20 silver coins a while back that was like 90% silver or something.  So if silver prices really tank... it is still $20 legal tender.  If silver prices skyrockets, the silver will worth more.  

Purchased online with no taxes or shipping... so free credit cards points if you like collecting those (I certainly do!)

Sounds like a good idea for some precious metals, but I don't think I have the same option for other commodities such as agricultural ones. 

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Sounds like a good idea for some precious metals, but I don't think I have the same option for other commodities such as agricultural ones. 

Buy a farm, lol.  

• Haha 1
9 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Lithium looks like another play to keep in mind, thanks.

Anyone got thoughts on inflation? It's crazy how the USD money supply has gone up over 25% or something like that in just a single year. Apparently inflation hasn't kicked in yet because there's nowhere to spend the money (i.e. money velocity at pretty much all time lows). Once the pandemic is over and people start going back to normal spending habits...look out. Happy to listen to contrary views if there are any out there.

Inflation is the 2 ton elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. The Fed says because inflation has lagged below their 2% target for some time they are willing to let it run hot for a bit. That's playing a very dangerous game. If they lose control of it they're in huge trouble.

If anything brings an abrupt end to this insane equities party that's going on it's inflation. You can already see it in the US 10yr note. The 30 yr note is about to cross 2%. Platinum is at a 6 year high. Copper is at an 8 year high, Corn is at an 8 year high. Soy Beans at an 8 year high. And of course Oil is back up to $58.25/barrel. Inflation is out there and people are ignoring it piling into bloated equities because the Fed has their back. Only problem is Inflation is bigger than the Fed.

Jerome is inflating one of the biggest bubbles you'll ever see. If you ever see him mention the word "taper" like in late 2018 sell everything and run for your life.

As for purchasing commodities you can trade them directly via futures.

• Hydration 1
15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Inflation is the 2 ton elephant in the room no one wants to talk about. The Fed says because inflation has lagged below their 2% target for some time they are willing to let it run hot for a bit. That's playing a very dangerous game. If they lose control of it they're in huge trouble.

If anything brings an abrupt end to this insane equities party that's going on it's inflation. You can already see it in the US 10yr note. The 30 yr note is about to cross 2%. Platinum is at a 6 year high. Copper is at an 8 year high, Corn is at an 8 year high. Soy Beans at an 8 year high. And of course Oil is back up to $58.25/barrel. Inflation is out there and people are ignoring it piling into bloated equities because the Fed has their back. Only problem is Inflation is bigger than the Fed.

Jerome is inflating one of the biggest bubbles you'll ever see. If you ever see him mention the word "taper" like in late 2018 sell everything and run for your life.

I'm still trying to understand how this inflation can cause the equity market to go into a downturn. Theoretically, doesn't inflation make stock prices go up? More QE and stimulus cheques means more money to put in the stock market? Higher inflation means profits go up because the prices of goods go up? I'm sure I'm missing something here. 

I've been looking into the Teucrium Soybean and Corn funds, which are based on futures contracts I think...are these things meant to be day-traded or can they be held onto for long periods of time (i.e. do they decay)? 

6 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

I'm still trying to understand how this inflation can cause the equity market to go into a downturn. Theoretically, doesn't inflation make stock prices go up? More QE and stimulus cheques means more money to put in the stock market? Higher inflation means profits go up because the prices of goods go up? I'm sure I'm missing something here. 

I've been looking into the Teucrium Soybean and Corn funds, which are based on futures contracts I think...are these things meant to be day-traded or can they be held onto for long periods of time (i.e. do they decay)? 

The competition for stocks is mainly bonds. If bonds are offering an attractive enough interest rate vs the risk in equity markets that's where the money will flow. Higher rates are the enemy of equities.

Higher inflation also means input prices rise. You can see this in the CPI (Consumer price index) and PPI (Producer price index). If prices rise too much consumers will pull back and manufacturers will receive fewer orders to produce goods.

Stimulus isn't permanent (I know haha).

Funds aren't really meant to be day traded. Some of them do very little volume. You're way better off trading the futures if you're looking for exposure in that sector. Futures don't deal with time decay. Though if you're in them long term you'd need to roll them over into the next month/quarter contract.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

28 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

now THIS is a conversation I would like to continue reading gents.

Nuckin, we've had this talk a few times, like you explaining it to me like i'm a 5 year old because i'm still quite ignorant of what exactly it all means, but i still keep asking the questions because the warning signs of something are there.  I know we've both agreed this has been an approaching issue for years but where do you think it's heading?  From our earlier statements it is possibly going to make 2008 look like a popped party balloon in comparison i think you said.

I'd very much like to continue reading in to your conversation should you two continue it

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

now THIS is a conversation I would like to continue reading gents.

Nuckin, we've had this talk a few times, like you explaining it to me like i'm a 5 year old because i'm still quite ignorant of what exactly it all means, but i still keep asking the questions because the warning signs of something are there.  I know we've both agreed this has been an approaching issue for years but where do you think it's heading?  From our earlier statements it is possibly going to make 2008 look like a popped party balloon in comparison i think you said.

I'd very much like to continue reading in to your conversation should you two continue it

Where do I think it's heading? They're going to pump it as high as possible. $1.9 Trillion in stimulus is coming. Where do you think it's going to wind up? Probably the exact same place all the other stimulus wound up. Remember at the pandemic lows Nasdaq was about 6800, now it's 14,000. That's while the unemployment rate sits at 6.3% and the economy appears to be stalling out. None of this is normal. More and more this market reminds me of 98-99. In '99 Nasdaq was up 85% and then Kaboom. These markets become more of a mania everyday. Only difference is this one is being fueled by government.

Just look at this thread as an example. We maybe have 15-20 regulars a lot of whom are new(ish) to markets. On the weekend my 19 year old nephew told me some of his college buddies are trading stocks. I asked him if they know what they're doing. He said not really they're just having fun/gambling. This is very similar to '99. The vast majority of those who were actively dabbling in '99 were out of the markets by 2001.

There is no such thing as a free lunch in markets. Though admittedly this is probably the longest free lunch I have ever seen. That laws that govern finance dictate it ends in tears. When that end is, is the real question.

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
12 hours ago, Mikey2Dope said:

What are peoples thoughts on VERY (Very Good Food Company)? I can sell at a decent profit today and I'm getting tired of all the red days. Any optimism that this picks up steam again?

i know some people who are in the know here, and the future is bright -- whatever that means for short term stock prices, i have no idea (edit: to clarify, I mean long term future is bright)

this company has a big future. as more people stop eating like savages, plant-based products will need to sell themselves and this company has some amazing products. the fact that they just bought Cultured Nut was a great move. strongly encourage anyone around victoria to give them a try

Edited by GLASSJAW
  • Hydration 1
2 hours ago, GLASSJAW said:

i know some people who are in the know here, and the future is bright -- whatever that means for short term stock prices, i have no idea (edit: to clarify, I mean long term future is bright)

this company has a big future. as more people stop eating like savages, plant-based products will need to sell themselves and this company has some amazing products. the fact that they just bought Cultured Nut was a great move. strongly encourage anyone around victoria to give them a try

knife meat GIF by 0815BBQ

Good thing I am all about the savages, increased my meat intake this year but will still invest in these plant based companies if they make me money

• Haha 1