The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

My personal belief is you can be a trader or an investor. My long term investments are in real estate.

Yeah it's nutty. Everyone and their dog wants in. They're all going to get punished. Here's another sure sign of a top................

Colin Kaepernick forms SPAC, with eye on social justice

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the latest to create a special purpose-acquisition company, seeking to raise up to $287.5 million in an initial public offering.

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Kaepernick — the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who took a knee during the national anthem to protest systemic racism and hasn’t played in the NFL since 2016 — is the co-sponsor and co-chairman of Mission Advancement Corp., working in partnership with The Najafi Cos., a private equity firm.

Mission Advancement will focus on racial justice and diversity issues, and aims to acquire a consumer business with an enterprise value around $1 billion.

“The mission of the Najafi/Kaepernick partnership is to identify, acquire and advance a company with the aim of creating meaningful financial and societal value,” the filing said. “We believe Mr. Kaepernick’s substantial business experience combined with his long-term leadership on racial equity and justice issues will support our success in identifying a prospective target company and adding transformational value to the combined entity.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/colin-kaepernick-forms-spac-with-eye-on-social-justice-11612923568

Oh man!

2 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

Looks like the reddit crew is jumping on the weed bandwagon. Aphria stocks have been soaring the last few days!

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/10/cannabis-stocks-soar-as-reddit-crowd-that-spiked-gamestop-jumps-in-tilray-surges-25percent.html

Cannabis stocks soar as Reddit crowd that spiked GameStop jumps in, Tilray surges 25%

The problem is that something the news report "Reddit crowd" but they quote some brand new accounts with like 2-3 comments total.  

38 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

The problem is that something the news report "Reddit crowd" but they quote some brand new accounts with like 2-3 comments total.  

So that's why my portfolio has been going nuts lately. 

The arbitrage on Apha to Tlry when they merge is crazy right now. 

• Hydration 1

Sold out of SNDL and doubled my money... at $1.21 FFS!!!

On a side note, I bought 2k shares of HVT at .07 a few months back. Sold 500 at .36 today for $40 profit and now sitting on 1500 free shares. Hit a high of .58 today and closed at .49. Also grabbed some XLY with my SNDL profit (or loss now that its over $3 :huh:)

Edited by Crabby
  • Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Goodness gracious.

I don't have any words.

Donating a decent sum tonight to Khalsa Aid to help the farmers protesting in India [https://www.khalsaaid.org/news/farmers-protest-2020] (Please read up on it if you are unaware).

It's extremely concerning what's happening to the farmers in India. It should have far more coverage than it's presently getting, especially considering how horrible the government (shocker!) is treating it's people. 

On 2/7/2021 at 7:47 PM, nzan said:

Hold up - you actually saw this in a dream?!

Like you did all kinds of legit analysis and coupled it with personal prophecy?

Wanna let me know the next similar dream you have? 

LOL not even joking with you I really had that dream (after I had bought it). Who knew it was going to be a prophecy lol...

56 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's extremely concerning what's happening to the farmers in India. It should have far more coverage than it's presently getting, especially considering how horrible the government (shocker!) is treating it's people. 

I'm happy to see some of the globe's largest celebrities are starting to tweet about it to raise awareness now, while some of India's biggest celebrities cower down to the government. 

• Vintage 1

17 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

I'm happy to see some of the globe's largest celebrities are starting to tweet about it to raise awareness now, while some of India's biggest celebrities cower down to the government. 

Given the "justice" system over there, I'd cut their celebs a bit of slack.

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

My personal belief is you can be a trader or an investor. My long term investments are in real estate.

Yeah it's nutty. Everyone and their dog wants in. They're all going to get punished. Here's another sure sign of a top................

Colin Kaepernick forms SPAC, with eye on social justice

Former NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick is the latest to create a special purpose-acquisition company, seeking to raise up to $287.5 million in an initial public offering.

According to a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Kaepernick — the former San Francisco 49ers quarterback who took a knee during the national anthem to protest systemic racism and hasn’t played in the NFL since 2016 — is the co-sponsor and co-chairman of Mission Advancement Corp., working in partnership with The Najafi Cos., a private equity firm.

Mission Advancement will focus on racial justice and diversity issues, and aims to acquire a consumer business with an enterprise value around $1 billion.

“The mission of the Najafi/Kaepernick partnership is to identify, acquire and advance a company with the aim of creating meaningful financial and societal value,” the filing said. “We believe Mr. Kaepernick’s substantial business experience combined with his long-term leadership on racial equity and justice issues will support our success in identifying a prospective target company and adding transformational value to the combined entity.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/colin-kaepernick-forms-spac-with-eye-on-social-justice-11612923568

Call me a cynic, but this how I imagine things will unfold....

The company will get lots of attention, then it will ultimately fail.  Then racism, bigotry or whatever will be blamed as the causes by Kaepernick.  Thus he still keeps his "SJW" creds... meanwhile he would have already cashed out his founder shares for a very generous profit.  He won't "go woke, go broke", but the bagholders following the hype-train will.  

• Hydration 2

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Goodness gracious.

I don't have any words.

Donating a decent sum tonight to Khalsa Aid to help the farmers protesting in India [https://www.khalsaaid.org/news/farmers-protest-2020] (Please read up on it if you are unaware).

What a call. 

And good on you for taking some of those gains to help the farmers in India. Fck Modi. 

Bill Foley launched a gigantic 1B SPAC today.. I got to assume he's got a target in mind.

Austerlitz Acquisition Corporation II (ASZ) - "We intend to initially focus our search on identifying a prospective target business in financial technology or information and business services, which acts as an essential utility to industries that are core to the economy."

Thoughts on any sort of field he's talking about ?

On 2/9/2021 at 9:13 AM, Mikey2Dope said:

What are peoples thoughts on VERY (Very Good Food Company)? I can sell at a decent profit today and I'm getting tired of all the red days. Any optimism that this picks up steam again?

Definetly will like NucksPats mentioned, both factories are coming on line this year. I've been in since $1.35 ish and have quite a bit of shares and not remotely thinking of selling. Im not sure if its going to take it to the moon, but it will go to space I can tell you that much

10 hours ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Bill Foley launched a gigantic 1B SPAC today.. I got to assume he's got a target in mind.

Austerlitz Acquisition Corporation II (ASZ) - "We intend to initially focus our search on identifying a prospective target business in financial technology or information and business services, which acts as an essential utility to industries that are core to the economy."

Thoughts on any sort of field he's talking about ?

Thanks for posting.

Looked into this and found Form S-1 filed with the SEC.

Copied almost the whole section which might give us an indication about the target. It's pretty far-reaching and honestly I don't think it makes any sense to speculate at this point of time. Though it's  Interesting that the name Foley is being mentioned and the areas he has industry experience in: real estate, insurance, alcoholic consumer beverages including wine and spirits, sports and business-to-business (“B2B”) business services.

Although we may pursue targets in any industry, we intend to initially focus our search on identifying a prospective target business in financial technology or information and business services, which acts as an essential utility to industries that are core to the economy. We may also pursue a target outside of the financial technology or information services sector should we find an attractive business that fits within William P. Foley, II’s historical areas of business expertise. Mr. Foley has extensive industry experience in real estate, insurance, alcoholic consumer beverages including wine and spirits, sports and business-to-business (“B2B”) business services. In all of these cases, we expect to pursue targets with attractive market positions, strong growth prospects and high performing management teams. We also intend to focus on prospective target businesses that have unseen potential for revenue growth and/or operating margin expansion with high recurring revenue and cash flow, defensible intellectual property and strong market positions within their industries, such as The Dun & Bradstreet Corporation (“Dun & Bradstreet”), Fidelity National Financial, Inc. (“FNF”), Black Knight, Inc. (“Black Knight”) and Ceridian HCM Holding Inc. (“Ceridian”). We believe that a prospective target business will have the potential to benefit from a recovering economy, presenting an opportunity to invest.