The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, skolozsy2 said:

Is it safe to assume that GME, AMC, etc... is gonna wreak havoc on the rest of the market?

I wouldn't think so. I doubt this is a multi day move in these stonks. I think this version of the Reddit Rebellion is a one day wonder.

Edited by nuckin_futz

US 10yr T-Bill yield is now 1.46%. The yield is up 45% this month.

S&P dividend yield is 1.54%.

If you can get the same yield within the relative safety of bonds why would you take the risk in equities considering the elevated levels they are at?

tlt.jpg.e28076ee7332c307472ab0d4451e0d05.jpg

^^^^^ TLT = 10 yr US T-Bill ........ Currently trading at levels below the pandemic lows. At the pandemic lows Nasdaq was approx 7000, now it's 13,600.

It might be time to sell what you want (speculative junk) and buy what you need (oil, consumer staples).

USD/CAD is at a 3 year low. The Loonie is loving a weak USD and higher oil prices.

Edited by nuckin_futz

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

US 10yr T-Bill yield is now 1.46%. The yield is up 45% this month.

S&P dividend yield is 1.54%.

If you can get the same yield within the relative safety of bonds why would you take the risk in equities considering the elevated levels they are at?

tlt.jpg.e28076ee7332c307472ab0d4451e0d05.jpg

^^^^^ TLT = 10 yr US T-Bill ........ Currently trading at levels below the pandemic lows. At the pandemic lows Nasdaq was approx 7000, now it's 13,600.

It might be time to sell what you want (speculative junk) and buy what you need (oil, consumer staples).

USD/CAD is at a 3 year low. The Loonie is loving a weak USD and higher oil prices.

Does it not depend on what you're looking for? SPY has the opportunity for more growth + the 1.5% yield. If an economic restart of sorts continues (decreased restrictions, increased travel, restaurants etc)in the summer would that not have a positive impact on SP500 and commodities? Appreciate your input.

32 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Does it not depend on what you're looking for? SPY has the opportunity for more growth + the 1.5% yield. If an economic restart of sorts continues (decreased restrictions, increased travel, restaurants etc)in the summer would that not have a positive impact on SP500 and commodities? Appreciate your input.

How much of that is priced in? Gotta think a lot of it is.

• Cheers 1

Down about 13K on the day.. SPAC's are getting smacked down hard..

All my warrants are down substantially.. 

I feel like the CCIV train is the straw that broke the camels back. SPAC's aren't what they used to be and I hope that changes soon. Most of the recent announcements have tanked stocks, not sent them higher. 

Non Spac related. PLTR price is excellent.

26 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Down about 13K on the day.. SPAC's are getting smacked down hard..

All my warrants are down substantially.. 

I feel like the CCIV train is the straw that broke the camels back. SPAC's aren't what they used to be and I hope that changes soon. Most of the recent announcements have tanked stocks, not sent them higher. 

Non Spac related. PLTR price is excellent.

Just loaded up on some more PLTR - Got in originally at $14 and Ive been waiting for a sale to add to my position 

30 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Tell me what this means in general layman's terms. 

The Fed has been buying bonds hand over fist in an effort to drive rates lower. That's the whole point of their bond buying programs.

Inflation is what will bust this equity rally. The market sensing inflation is coming will bring rates higher, which will drive bonds lower.

During that crash the yield on the 10 yr note briefly hit 1.536% that's about where people who manage a lot of money start to hit the panic button and things get disorderly.

The bond market hasn't been this disorderly since the pandemic lows.

The Fed has to be panicking. Their only option left is to buy bonds like there's no tomorrow.

Forexlive Image View

As you can see. Moves in interest rates like this are highly undesirable for the Fed.

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Thanks 1