The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

The Fed has been buying bonds hand over fist in an effort to drive rates lower. That's the whole point of their bond buying programs.

Inflation is what will bust this equity rally. The market sensing inflation is coming will bring rates higher, which will drive bonds lower.

During that crash the yield on the 10 yr note briefly hit 1.536% that's about where people who manage a lot of money start to hit the panic button and things get disorderly.

The bond market hasn't been this disorderly since the pandemic lows.

The Fed has to be panicking. They're only option left is to buy bonds like there's no tomorrow.

Forexlive Image View

As you can see. Moves in interest rates like this are highly undesirable for the Fed.

So what you're saying is turn off the computer and go cry in the corner at this point.

• Huggy Bear 1

7 minutes ago, Russ said:

So what you're saying is turn off the computer and go cry in the corner at this point.

Just be aware of the macro environment. The bond market is a leading indicator and should be monitored closely during times like these. 

Basically, three points I would emphasize 

1 - Have stop losses in place b/c the market will crash

2 - Whatever the fed says, there's no way around inflation

3 - When the crash happens buy the &^@# out of Gold and Bitcoin 

16 minutes ago, themcdeal said:

Just be aware of the macro environment. The bond market is a leading indicator and should be monitored closely during times like these. 

Yea might set up stop losses later.  Gonna ride out and see how the day goes.

Cashed out almost all my positions.... took major beatings.... from reaching almost 40% to my retirement.... so now back to just 12% there.  

SPAC bubble bursting, GME throwing a wrench into the market, bitcoin/crypto providing some unknown factors, plus the usual Feds/interest rates/seasonality/etc.  

At times like think I wish I could just drink my troubles away....

• Huggy Bear 1

27 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Cashed out almost all my positions.... took major beatings.... from reaching almost 40% to my retirement.... so now back to just 12% there.  

SPAC bubble bursting, GME throwing a wrench into the market, bitcoin/crypto providing some unknown factors, plus the usual Feds/interest rates/seasonality/etc.  

At times like think I wish I could just drink my troubles away....

Holy crap, what the hell did you invest in that you fell that much

1 minute ago, themcdeal said:

Holy crap, what the hell did you invest in that you fell that much

Lots of SPAC and precious metals.  

I started at like 0% to retirement... so still good overall... but still sucks losing on unrealized gains.  

Edited by Lancaster

2 hours ago, themcdeal said:

I do believe we are in the start of what could be a hyperinflationary environment. It's already happening with all commodities. Aside from bitcoin and gold I'll probably be investing in producers such as oil (which is already severely beat down but oil could hit $100 again..anything is possible). 

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

So.. is a crash coming or what? The pundits on BNN aren't suggesting so. Small/minor corrections at worst.

There are plenty of clips on youtube of pundits saying that leading up to the "Great Recession" was just a small blip, until it wasn't.  

Not saying there's a crash coming... but anyone can say anything.  

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

There are plenty of clips on youtube of pundits saying that leading up to the "Great Recession" was just a small blip, until it wasn't.  

Not saying there's a crash coming... but anyone can say anything.  

That applies to both ways. There's also a lot of Youtube videos calling for the big crash. Who knows, the Fed could press their bond buying button or the dip buyers could step in big time. 

I'm short this market, but I'm getting prepared for the possibility of seeing red.

Cathie Wood Funds Whipsawed Amid Record Outflows, Rate Spike

Sam Potter

Wed, February 24, 2021, 1:12 PM

be7bdd0ee25ee865482b1e7bd9708ef5

Cathie Wood Funds Whipsawed Amid Record Outflows, Rate Spike

(Bloomberg) -- Cathie Wood’s main exchange-traded funds whipsawed on Wednesday as bond yields surged anew and data showed investors pulled a record amount of cash from the firm during this week’s tech selloff.

In a very volatile session, the flagship ARK Innovation ETF (ticker ARKK) closed lower, following its worst two-day rout since September. The fund’s been battered by the rapid increase in Treasury yields, which have caused investors to think twice about the priciest corners of the stock market.

Both the ARK Genomic Revolution ETF (ARKG) and the ARK Next Generation Internet ETF (ARKW) ended in the green, but away from session highs. Tesla Inc., Wood’s biggest bet at her firm Ark Investment Management, climbed after a four-day selloff. Bitcoin, another favorite, also gained while still trading below $50,000.

The moves followed data this morning showing investors withdrew an unprecedented $465 million from ARKK on Monday, as well as $202 million from ARKG and $119 million from ARKW -- each a record amount.

Worryingly for Wood, there could be worse to come given the one-day delay in reporting flow data. On Tuesday, ARKK more than doubled its trading volume record set just a day earlier.

For now, the outflows are a fraction of Ark’s ETF assets under management, which as of last week amounted to more than $60 billion. Wood told Bloomberg Radio on Tuesday she welcomed the correction, and that she was using it to buy more shares of Tesla.

“Assets in ARKK have ballooned in size in 2021 as some momentum investors chased the ETF higher,” said Todd Rosenbluth, CFRA Research’s director of ETF research. “Such demand can and often shrinks when losses are incurred. However, even with the outflows the fund remains far larger than it was at year-end, let alone a year ago.”

ARKK’s assets dropped by about $3 billion from the end of last week to $25.2 billion, the data show.

After its stellar run of inflows and triple-digit returns in 2020, bearish bets have been mounting in the ETF. Short interest has risen to the highest on record, at more than 3% of the available shares in the fund, according to data from IHS Markit Ltd.