The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Stan and Atlas just left a looooooot of newbies holding a massive bag lmao

Oh my God I just saw that 50% crash. That's always the fear with pennies. Great while it's great not man can it disappear fast. 

9 minutes ago, Russ said:

Oh my God I just saw that 50% crash. That's always the fear with pennies. Great while it's great not man can it disappear fast. 

TBH, I rather go to Vegas than invest in these penny garbage stocks that are pumped by unscrupulous “experts”

At least I would get free stay, food and some perks after being bent over a barrel.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, TheRocket18 said:

r/wsb had RKT listed last night.

Up 37%  right now.

Damn.

It's funny because your name is "TheRocket". :lol:

Rocket Companies short interest listed as 38% on a 113 million float. Has to be way more than that now.

Someone is desperate to bring RKT lower. Was $41 and they crossed it down 10% to trigger a halt. Then crossed it down again upon the reopen. Now he's eating it after an upside halt. This is going to run $10 in after hours and hit $100 by Friday.

The monthly options for Mar 19 have 30,500 puts sold @$30. Those guys are so toast. The $50 Mar 19 calls have traded 67,577 today.

Good Time$

49 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Seeing Walmart is down big too.

What's going on?

Target beat earnings and is investing billions in e commerce so I see no reason for the market reaction.

Great company so I loaded up today, Walmart has been in the doldrums as well.

Lot of money has been going to these high flying and meme stocks.

I bought AI dip today as well, see if it bounces by Friday.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Kind of sick of meme stocks not going away. 

Why? Perhaps a lot of people who actually invest in them see other wise! I'm doing fantastic. Made quite a bit off RKT today. 

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Someone is desperate to bring RKT lower. Was $41 and they crossed it down 10% to trigger a halt. Then crossed it down again upon the reopen. Now he's eating it after an upside halt. This is going to run $10 in after hours and hit $100 by Friday.

The monthly options for Mar 19 have 30,500 puts sold @$30. Those guys are so toast. The $50 Mar 19 calls have traded 67,577 today.

Good Time$

screw those people. I hope this never ends. I think we won't be seeing these go away any time soon. It's time $&!# changes even if it's slow. 

On 2/25/2021 at 7:07 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Cathie Wood Funds Whipsawed Amid Record Outflows, Rate Spike

Sam Potter

Wed, February 24, 2021, 1:12 PM

be7bdd0ee25ee865482b1e7bd9708ef5

Cathie Wood Funds Whipsawed Amid Record Outflows, Rate Spike

(Bloomberg) -- Cathie Wood’s main exchange-traded funds whipsawed on Wednesday as bond yields surged anew and data showed investors pulled a record amount of cash from the firm during this week’s tech selloff.

In a very volatile session, the flagship ARK Innovation ETF (ticker ARKK) closed lower, following its worst two-day rout since September. The fund’s been battered by the rapid increase in Treasury yields, which have caused investors to think twice about the priciest corners of the stock market.

Both the ARK Genomic Revolution ETF (ARKG) and the ARK Next Generation Internet ETF (ARKW) ended in the green, but away from session highs. Tesla Inc., Wood’s biggest bet at her firm Ark Investment Management, climbed after a four-day selloff. Bitcoin, another favorite, also gained while still trading below $50,000.

The moves followed data this morning showing investors withdrew an unprecedented $465 million from ARKK on Monday, as well as $202 million from ARKG and $119 million from ARKW -- each a record amount.

Worryingly for Wood, there could be worse to come given the one-day delay in reporting flow data. On Tuesday, ARKK more than doubled its trading volume record set just a day earlier.

For now, the outflows are a fraction of Ark’s ETF assets under management, which as of last week amounted to more than $60 billion. Wood told Bloomberg Radio on Tuesday she welcomed the correction, and that she was using it to buy more shares of Tesla.

“Assets in ARKK have ballooned in size in 2021 as some momentum investors chased the ETF higher,” said Todd Rosenbluth, CFRA Research’s director of ETF research. “Such demand can and often shrinks when losses are incurred. However, even with the outflows the fund remains far larger than it was at year-end, let alone a year ago.”

ARKK’s assets dropped by about $3 billion from the end of last week to $25.2 billion, the data show.

After its stellar run of inflows and triple-digit returns in 2020, bearish bets have been mounting in the ETF. Short interest has risen to the highest on record, at more than 3% of the available shares in the fund, according to data from IHS Markit Ltd.

Today’s headline flipped to record inflow 

I’m sure these will flip multiple times 

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-03-02/cathie-wood-s-flagship-etf-roars-back-with-near-record-inflow?utm_source=url_link

Question, and I've kind of asked this before.

Got a sum of money that I need in precisely two years.

My risk tolerance is extremely low with this particular money, but GIC rates are trash and equities are out of the question, especially in the current inflated environment. I was looking at diversified bond ETFs like BMO's ZAG and while I'm more than happy with the 3% annual "dividend," I'm a little weary about how interest rates have nowhere to go but up right now which would risk some material capital losses on my position by the end of the two years.

I've been doing some research and looked up short-term bond ETFs. To my understanding, the shorter the maturity date, the less reactive the bonds are to interest rate changes? Would an ETF more oriented towards short-term bonds be a good way to mitigate interest rate risk? Thanks in advance.

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan

4 hours ago, kurtis said:

Why? Perhaps a lot of people who actually invest in them see other wise! I'm doing fantastic. Made quite a bit off RKT today. 

My personal opinion is that people are not actually 'investing' in GME, AMC, etc. Which is not a problem at all. I have nothing against that; people are free to do what they want. However, I think it is more like gambling than investing and it kind of distracts. Some might say that it is not a distraction and its actually highlighting problems on Wall St. I think these issues were well-known prior to Reddit/WallStreetBets. 

EDIT: What I mean by not investing is that it is all speculation. The first two books I read when trying to learn/make decisions were Common Sense Investing by Bogle and Intelligent Investor by Graham. They both got at the idea of picking stocks that you'd be willing to own regardless of the price you bought them at. GME and others don't fit that description for me. Not saying that other people should have to change, just that the potential for more volatility is not beneficial to me personally. 

Edited by Down by the River

13 hours ago, kurtis said:

screw those people. I hope this never ends. I think we won't be seeing these go away any time soon. It's time $&!# changes even if it's slow. 

I just looked on WSB, I have no idea where they are bloody well posting this stuff.  I just see dumb memes and no one actually talking stocks so I can't even toss a few bucks at a lottery stock lol.

I have heard Tesla is one of the most shorted stocks now..... I could use a YOLO from WSB there so I can set stops and cash out there though :D

Actually laugh and enjoy some of their video clips these guys make.

Edited by Russ

10 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Question, and I've kind of asked this before.

Got a sum of money that I need in precisely two years.

My risk tolerance is extremely low with this particular money, but GIC rates are trash and equities are out of the question, especially in the current inflated environment. I was looking at diversified bond ETFs like BMO's ZAG and while I'm more than happy with the 3% annual "dividend," I'm a little weary about how interest rates have nowhere to go but up right now which would risk some material capital losses on my position by the end of the two years.

I've been doing some research and looked up short-term bond ETFs. To my understanding, the shorter the maturity date, the less reactive the bonds are to interest rate changes? Would an ETF more oriented towards short-term bonds be a good way to mitigate interest rate risk? Thanks in advance.

I've used XSB-T in the past with good success. Not very volatile and yields 2.3%. Check the yield as it has been awhile. Pays monthly. 

• Hydration 1