The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, Lancaster said:

A bit of a sell off midday.  Nothing like being up 5 figures... down the same amount.. then ending up about even.  

One of the hardest things for me was to get into the regular habit of taking profits. Sure once in a while you're going to kick yourself for not letting it all ride on a big winner. But most of the time you'll be happy you paid yourself something.

Maybe take off a certain percent of your position perhaps 1/3 with a certain % of profit. Then take off another 1/3 at another predetermined amount. Then be a pig on the last 1/3.

Think about it like this. When you go to the car dealership they couldn't care less how much your stocks are up. They care about how much money you have. The money isn't yours until you take it. You can't pay for anything with paper gains.

1 minute ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Big day tomorrow with the Fed speaking. Wonder if they'll announce more bond market shenanigans... 

My guess is Powell will stick to the script. Say inflation is transitory and everything is under control. It's really a matter of if the bond market buys what he's selling. "No way Jose" would be my guess.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

On 3/15/2021 at 7:10 AM, Warhippy said:

India enacts a near total ban on crypto mining and trading.  Is criminalizing even holding cryptocurrency after 6 months post law enactment.

People assume this will tank things.

But China also committed to similar restrictions on mining and prices skyrocketed.

There's only so much available Bitcoin to be mined so this will possibly facilitate a small sell off, but those sales will be eaten in seconds.

What India IS doing though, is using this period to acknowledge and allow for the integration of blockchain companies to safely allow trading sales and future mining.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-india-cryptocurrency-ban-idUSKBN2B60QP

Blockchain companies in their infancy will easily be double baggers if you like to gamble on small dollar amounts.

not too many public ipo's in blockchain?

Fed leaves rates unchanged with no changes to QE, as expected

Wed 17 Mar 2021 18:00:11 GMT

Highlights of the FOMC statement on March 17, 2021:

Highlights of the FOMC statement on March 17, 2021:
  • Lower bound on Fed funds 0.00% as expected
  • Upper bound on Fed funds 0.25% as expected
  • Fed to continue to buy $80B/month in Treasuries
  • Fed to continue to buy $40B/month in MBS
  • Repeats that bond buys will continue to until 'substantial further progress' is made
  • Unanimous vote
  • Repeats language saying that policy will remain accommodative until inflation runs moderately above 2% for some time
  • Says indicators of economic activity and employment have turned up recently following a moderation in activity
  • Repeats that path of economy will depend significantly on course of virus and vaccinations

Median dot plot for 2023 still shows no hike. Bit of a surprise. Just 7 of 18 dots show a hike in 2023. Most thought we'd see a majority put a dot there.

Bonds dumped aggressively upon release of statement. Since paired some losses. 10 year yield = 1.674%

• Thanks 1

On 3/16/2021 at 5:07 PM, nuckin_futz said:

One of the hardest things for me was to get into the regular habit of taking profits. Sure once in a while you're going to kick yourself for not letting it all ride on a big winner. But most of the time you'll be happy you paid yourself something.

Maybe take off a certain percent of your position perhaps 1/3 with a certain % of profit. Then take off another 1/3 at another predetermined amount. Then be a pig on the last 1/3.

Think about it like this. When you go to the car dealership they couldn't care less how much your stocks are up. They care about how much money you have. The money isn't yours until you take it. You can't pay for anything with paper gains.

My guess is Powell will stick to the script. Say inflation is transitory and everything is under control. It's really a matter of if the bond market buys what he's selling. "No way Jose" would be my guess.

This is me.  I have taken profits a few times and had it run and been like "well crap I missed out a ton".  Then I decided to hold and it goes up then drops hard....

So hard when you have good convictions on companies but you know the market is just crap right now and seeing more red days than green right now.

• Cheers 1

Excerpts from a cautionary article from the NY Times:

SAN FRANCISCO — This past week, a trading card featuring the quarterback Tom Brady sold for a record $1.3 million. The total value of the cryptocurrency Bitcoin hit $1 trillion. And Christie’s sold a digital artwork by an artist known as Beeple for $69.3 million after bids started at just $100.

These seemingly singular events were all connected, part of a series of manias that have gripped the financial world. For months, professional and everyday investors have pushed up the prices of stocks and real estate. Now the frenzy has spilled over into the riskiest — and in some cases, wackiest — assets, including digital ephemera and media, cryptocurrencies, collectibles like trading cards and even sneakers.

For now, the bubble-upon-bubble behavior does not appear to pose a systemic risk to the broader financial system. But some investors said they were uneasy.

“Most people are cheering, but at the same time, shaking their heads and going, when is the bust coming?” said Jane Leung, the chief investment officer at SVB Private Bank.

Full article at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/13/technology/crypto-art-NFTs-trading-cards-investment-manias.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210314&instance_id=28048&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=53393&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

• Cheers 1

12 hours ago, UnkNuk said:

Excerpts from a cautionary article from the NY Times:

SAN FRANCISCO — This past week, a trading card featuring the quarterback Tom Brady sold for a record $1.3 million. The total value of the cryptocurrency Bitcoin hit $1 trillion. And Christie’s sold a digital artwork by an artist known as Beeple for $69.3 million after bids started at just $100.

These seemingly singular events were all connected, part of a series of manias that have gripped the financial world. For months, professional and everyday investors have pushed up the prices of stocks and real estate. Now the frenzy has spilled over into the riskiest — and in some cases, wackiest — assets, including digital ephemera and media, cryptocurrencies, collectibles like trading cards and even sneakers.

For now, the bubble-upon-bubble behavior does not appear to pose a systemic risk to the broader financial system. But some investors said they were uneasy.

“Most people are cheering, but at the same time, shaking their heads and going, when is the bust coming?” said Jane Leung, the chief investment officer at SVB Private Bank.

Full article at:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/13/technology/crypto-art-NFTs-trading-cards-investment-manias.html?campaign_id=2&emc=edit_th_20210314&instance_id=28048&nl=todaysheadlines&regi_id=56405277&segment_id=53393&user_id=dc88543b79693b0f05322365a827e237

I look forward to 2040 when we can read a "20 years later" article about how the guy who bought a .gif of Lebron James for a million bucks is doing. Is he laughing because he saw the opportunity before most people and it's now worth 10 million? Or is he living under the golden gate bridge? 

• Cheers 1

I for sure pulled back on the market the last 2 weeks.

Withdrew some money for some renos.

Currently sitting on 1500 BFT @ $12.88, 500 PSTHW @ $11.28 and 5000 CONXW @ $1.45

I have a feeling PSTH will happen in the next 2-3 weeks and I just love BFT. Looking forward to seeing it switch ticker symbols and get rid of the SPAC stench, PSFE will be a sight for sore eyes.

Edited by AriGold
  • Cheers 1