The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

51 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I've been following this as well. The chart appears to be flattening

Just my $.02. I have traded both VIAC and DISCB a lot since the implosion. The price action on both of them is not indicative of a turnaround unless you have quite a long time frame. The amount of overhead resistance is a real problem.

The price action makes me think they both have a large hairball to cough up. Everyone who has been fishing for a bottom is going to be driven out by market makers.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Just my $.02. I have traded both VIAC and DISCB a lot since the implosion. The price action on both of them is not indicative of a turnaround unless you have quite a long time frame. The amount of overhead resistance is a real problem.

The price action makes me think they both have a large hairball to cough up. Everyone who has been fishing for a bottom is going to be driven out by market makers.

From a fundamental perspective these are attractive levels, but yes a lot of bag holders. But I am looking at it more from an investment perspective and not looking to trade it. It pays a div, PE of 10, P/S <1, 88% owned by institutions.. I dunno it may be a decent opportunity to get in on a company that has been beaten up because some dimwits got margin called

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

I gotta agree here. It is not going to hit all time for highs or come even close for a looooong time. The fact a hedge fund blew up over it means that money is now completely lost and will never be invested in those companies again. I could potentially see a dead cat bounce but it would likely be capped at about $45-50. The fact there was barely a dead cat bounce after it imploded suggests that it might still have much lower to go.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

From a fundamental perspective these are attractive levels, but yes a lot of bag holders. But I am looking at it more from an investment perspective and not looking to trade it. It pays a div, PE of 10, P/S <1, 88% owned by institutions.. I dunno it may be a decent opportunity to get in on a company that has been beaten up because some dimwits got margin called

We all know that fundamentals don't mean anything in these crazy markets. GME was practically trading at 1x cashflow at one point (back in 2020) so things can get ugly before it gets better. Unfortunately I would say only 10-20% investors are now value investors so the other 80% traders will continue selling because they get stopped out or what not. Personally I'm just gonna wait for a nice long consolidation bottom before getting in.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, TGokou said:

We all know that fundamentals don't mean anything in these crazy markets. GME was practically trading at 1x cashflow at one point (back in 2020) so things can get ugly before it gets better. Unfortunately I would say only 10-20% investors are now value investors so the other 80% traders will continue selling because they get stopped out or what not. Personally I'm just gonna wait for a nice long consolidation bottom before getting in.

That's a fair point but I feel like it is more applicable to only certain stocks, such as GME, AMC etc. I also think your percentages are off, but your point is well taken. I just kind of think of it like politics, the loudest group isn't necessarily the majority. AAPL, MSFT and AMZN are on the upswing again and they aren't typically getting 'traded'. The market is crazy but the big dogs are doing well. CBS is getting into streaming as well, so no reason to believe they won't be a major player for TV show streaming (survivor, sports etc).

On 4/19/2021 at 8:03 AM, DonaldBrashear said:

Yeah but that bag of cash had to be laundered somehow which meant taxes. The IRS/CRA are happy to collect taxes on illegal profits. Imagine if bitcoin became an accepted payment method for real estate transactions. I am sure the criminals are much happier with bitcoin than carrying around bags of cash. You can't carry a bag of cash on a plane or cross borders with it, but you can easily carry bitcoin anywhere. Bitcoin is loved by criminals.

Doesn’t block chain allow the tracking of all transactions associated with the bit coin being transacted? It should allow CRA and IRS to force compliance.

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yeah I'm just hoping for little 5-10% spikes or cut it below $36, similar to the last play from 45-48 with a 41 stop loss.

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Yeah I'm just hoping for little 5-10% spikes or cut it below $36, similar to the last play from 45-48 with a 41 stop loss.

For "long term" play do you know if disc or viac is better? I've heard disc has more going for it but I haven't really done any reasonable amount of DD on it.

18 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Doesn’t block chain allow the tracking of all transactions associated with the bit coin being transacted? It should allow CRA and IRS to force compliance.

You can track all transactions but that doesn't help if you don't know who the bitcoin accounts belong to. Anyone can sign up for a bitcoin account and begin trading bitcoin wtih no ID and using a VPN. It is entirely anonymous. Imagine being able to open a canadian bank account with no ID or address or even your name.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

You can track all transactions but that doesn't help if you don't know who the bitcoin accounts belong to. Anyone can sign up for a bitcoin account and begin trading bitcoin wtih no ID and using a VPN. It is entirely anonymous. Imagine being able to open a canadian bank account with no ID or address or even your name.

If you have a BTC address you can follow the transaction flow and movement. You dont know who it belongs to but the moment it reaches a financial institution or bank, you can identify the individual. 

So the police/FBI will often monitor the flow of transaction and wait for it to hit a financial institution, but they cant really identify the individual prior to that

Edited by themcdeal

19 hours ago, TGokou said:

For "long term" play do you know if disc or viac is better? I've heard disc has more going for it but I haven't really done any reasonable amount of DD on it.

I couldn't answer that to be honest as I'm just playing VIAC off the Chinese hedge fund implosion dump. 

• Cheers 1

Biden Eyeing Capital Gains Tax as High as 43.4% for Wealthy

President Joe Biden will propose almost doubling the capital gains tax rate for wealthy individuals to 39.6%, which, coupled with an existing surtax on investment income, means that federal tax rates for investors could be as high as 43.4%, according to people familiar with the proposal.

The plan would boost the capital gains rate to 39.6% for those earning $1 million or more, an increase from the current base rate of 20%, the people said on the condition of anonymity because the plan is not yet public. A 3.8% tax on investment income that funds Obamacare would be kept in place, pushing the tax rate on returns on financial assets higher than the top rate on wage and salary income, they said.

Stocks slid on news about the plan, with the S&P 500 Index down as much as 0.6% after climbing 0.2% earlier. The Nasdaq Composite fell 0.4% as of 1:15 p.m. after rising as much as 0.5%. Ten-year Treasury yields erased gains.

The proposal could reverse a long-standing provision of the tax code that taxes returns on investment lower than on labour. Biden campaigned on equalizing the capital gains and income tax rates for wealthy individuals, saying it’s unfair that many of them pay lower rates than middle-class workers.

The White House and Treasury Department didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. Biden is expected to release the proposal next week as part of the tax increases to fund social spending in the forthcoming “American Families Plan.”

For $1 million earners in high-tax states, rates on capital gains could be above 50%. For New Yorkers, the combined state and federal capital gains rate could be as high as 52.22%. For Californians, it could be 56.7%.

Democrats have said current capital gains rates largely help top earners who get their income through investments rather than in the form of wages, resulting in lower tax rates for wealthy people than those they employ. Republicans argue that current capital gains rates encourage saving and promote future economic growth.

Story was out in the NY Times 3 hours ago. Now Bloomberg picks it up and the market has a mini freak out.