The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

Had been watching GEO for a while. Really beaten down but supremely undervalued even at the levels it's at today after a short squeeze. Anyways it was about 40% shorted. Prison REIT with tons of cashflow with debt being the only thing holding it back. Bought some at $6 range and holding till Friday.

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Had been watching GEO for a while. Really beaten down but supremely undervalued even at the levels it's at today after a short squeeze. Anyways it was about 40% shorted. Prison REIT with tons of cashflow with debt being the only thing holding it back. Bought some at $6 range and holding till Friday.

Bunch of REITs joining the squeeze party today. IVR, CXW, AHT, WPG, MDRR

Corsair Gaming (CRSR) joined teh squeeze party today. It's actually a decent company with decent fundamentals. I bought some at 30 months ago. I sold half at 40 today just to lock in some profits that I plan to put back into it in the low 30s. I feel that 'meme stocks' is a derogatory term now, especially for decent companies that get pasted with that label. Unlike AMC, GME, and Clov (which I owned a week ago lol), Corsair is profitable and growing.

8 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gold in the $&!#ter again. $75.00 drop in about a week. 

Probz a great time to buy if people do start worrying more about inflation.

Also if you're into goofy chart patterns, gold has formed a pretty textbook cup and handle pattern with a price target of approximately 2600

On 6/16/2021 at 9:56 PM, themcdeal said:

Probz a great time to buy if people do start worrying more about inflation.

Also if you're into goofy chart patterns, gold has formed a pretty textbook cup and handle pattern with a price target of approximately 2600

Ok gotta find somewhere to store all those gold bars now!

On 6/16/2021 at 8:49 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

^^No surprise.

I like dividend plays and am not participating in the meme mania but found this pretty funny:

image.png.c30c9a06465170d8f61deef75dc47b3a.png

I find that funny but then cry a little in the corner to myself. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

The Fed's overnight repos are totally out of control. The column on the right hand side is in Billions. $755 Billion dollars in overnight repos because that's totally normal. :lol:

Anglais por favor?

Also: Anyone have any good rare earth / industrial metals ETFs?

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

On 6/18/2021 at 6:58 AM, I.Am.Ironman said:

Anglais por favor?

Also: Anyone have any good rare earth / industrial metals ETFs?

The overnight repo is where prime dealers lend to the NY Fed.

Too much excess reserves for banks, means no ones wants to borrow in overnight repo. This drives rates down, potentially negative. This is removing excess reserves to keep Overnight rates from going negative.

The recent jump in overnight repos from $500 billion to over $800 billion came when the NY Fed raised their overnight rate from 0 to .05%.

Basically it is a sign of how much money is sloshing around out there looking for a temporary home. Translation - there is way too much liquidity out there but the Federal Reserve does not care and is going pedal to the metal.

Bubblicious Bubble Gum 5-Piece Pack

Edited by nuckin_futz
  • Cheers 2

I think this thread has died because of all the crazy speculative plays that have blown up over the course of the last few months. Time to talk bout normal names that I think have great potential. I really like BABA and it's my number one holding right now, I believe we are looking at a double in the next couple years if not more. It's going to always have political overhang on the stock but it's just too damn cheap to ignore from a valuation stand point considering it's growth.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, TGokou said:

I think this thread has died because of all the crazy speculative plays that have blown up over the course of the last few months. Time to talk bout normal names that I think have great potential. I really like BABA and it's my number one holding right now, I believe we are looking at a double in the next couple years if not more. It's going to always have political overhang on the stock but it's just too damn cheap to ignore from a valuation stand point considering it's growth.

Baba and JD - both great plays. If Baba was american it would be 2x the price.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:54 PM, TGokou said:

The last 4 months have been me preparing to buy a house and so I've focused mostly on SPY and MSFT. Took a position in BLNK when it dropped around February but too conservative for the % increase to result in meaningful gains. Cathie Wood's ARKK seems to be crawling back to life.