The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

12 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The last 4 months have been me preparing to buy a house and so I've focused mostly on SPY and MSFT. Took a position in BLNK when it dropped around February but too conservative for the % increase to result in meaningful gains. Cathie Wood's ARKK seems to be crawling back to life.  

I am normally quite risk averse when it comes to speculative names. I've been blown up a few times when I was much younger so I have an aversion to speculative names even though they've had tremendous runs (think Marijuana stocks, crypto etc). Thought I would jump in this year just because I could afford to but it immediately bit me in the butt (back in January-Feburary). If it were not for those speculative losses I'd probably be just under 20% returns across my entire portfolio since February. Instead I'll have to settle for beating the market by a few % lol.

On 6/25/2021 at 10:54 PM, TGokou said:

I think this thread has died because of all the crazy speculative plays that have blown up over the course of the last few months. Time to talk bout normal names that I think have great potential. I really like BABA and it's my number one holding right now, I believe we are looking at a double in the next couple years if not more. It's going to always have political overhang on the stock but it's just too damn cheap to ignore from a valuation stand point considering it's growth.

STEM has been a beast, the $20 adds were so clutch. Same with NIO at 33. WISH is crushing it as well from $10 adds. PLTR coming back to life as well. Took UPST the other day at $120. And of course my babe CCIV.

March and April sucked and that's when I think a lot of the regulars in this thread disappeared, but other than those 2 months I have secured several multi baggers. The one bag I'm still holding and waiting for it to recover however is ARVL ($18 average) 

I'm still riding a lot of my positions with between 20%-150% gains. I haven't done a single trade in two months, so not much to add to the thread. Seems like things are starting to liven up a bit though. I'm thinking of liquidating and doing a bit of a reset very soon.  I'm not very confident in this market to be honest.

2 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Started listening to that Death in Cryptoland CBC podcast advertised last night. It's about 2 hours, I think. It's all about Quadriga and Gerald &^@#ing over their customers out of a cumulative 300 million. 

It's about 3 to 4 hours long  (six episodes) and can be found here:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/cbc-podcasts/904-a-death-in-cryptoland

Your synopsis is pretty much bang on.

I'm fnding it very interesting and somewhat incredible.

image.jpeg.b95605445fc79a2631d708a96b0621a8.jpeg

7 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

STEM has been a beast, the $20 adds were so clutch. Same with NIO at 33. WISH is crushing it as well from $10 adds. PLTR coming back to life as well. Took UPST the other day at $120. And of course my babe CCIV.

March and April sucked and that's when I think a lot of the regulars in this thread disappeared, but other than those 2 months I have secured several multi baggers. The one bag I'm still holding and waiting for it to recover however is ARVL ($18 average) 

Congrats and great pick with NIO. I remember you putting it out there that you bought it. Do/did you have stop losses on any of those? Did you ride CCIV on the way down?

18 hours ago, TGokou said:

Congrats and great pick with NIO. I remember you putting it out there that you bought it. Do/did you have stop losses on any of those? Did you ride CCIV on the way down?

I had intraday stop losses at about 7% that didn't trigger. I expect volatility in WISH so I didn't use any as I'm happy with my position size. I have a core CCIV position with an average in the $11's in my long term retirement account with my portfolio manager, and then have traded it frequently in my Questrade. I rode a large chunk for $11 to $61, but didn't sell it all and had to sell the rest at $42 the following morning. Re-bought at $17 and sold at $28. rebought at $21 that I'm still holding but I've brought my average down to about $16 by selling weekly and monthly covered calls against the position. 

• Hydration 1

Branson aims to make space trip on July 11, ahead of Bezos

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Billionaire entrepreneur Richard Branson will travel to the edge of space on Virgin Galactic Holdings Inc's test flight on July 11, Branson's space tourism firm said on Thursday, beating out fellow aspiring billionaire astronaut Jeff Bezos.

A successful flight by Branson aboard Virgin's VSS Unity spaceplane would mark a key milestone in a race to usher in a new era of private commercial space travel.

It would also mean that Branson would travel beyond Earth's atmosphere ahead of Bezos, the founder of rival space tourism venture Blue Origin.

Bezos, who founded retail giant Amazon.com Inc, is slated to fly to space on July 20 along with his brother, Mark, trailblazing female pilot Wally Funk and a so-far unidentified person who plunked down $28 million to join the suborbital joyride.

Reuters reported last month that Branson was considering a show-stealing mission just days ahead of Bezos' planned trip.

(more in the link) https://finance.yahoo.com/news/branson-aims-space-trip-july-010911100.html

These guys are mental cases and have way too much money.

SPCE +20% in after hours.

13,700 calls @$50

7,000 calls @$55

14,300 calls @$60

All for tomorrow's options expiry. Watch them hold it up all day long and then tank it into the close to make all those options (and what gets bought tomorrow) expire worthless.

On 6/29/2021 at 9:35 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

I got in UPST the other day at $122-123 area.  I had been waiting for a while for it to drop back down.

Almost got in on wish, didn't want to somehow get bag holding the WSB pump though.

IM still sitting happy.  Just wanted to check in.  Got excited a few times and gambled and lost but still up on the year.

Hard to not be excited about making money, so easy to get over leveraged or wait to long

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting moves today.

Oil -7%

XLE (energy ETF) has gone from $55 to $46 in no time.

SMH the semiconductor ETF made a new all time high at $264 then dumped to $242 in 4 days.

Not sure I believe the market is really freaking out about Delta variant. Markets have already established they don't give a crap about Covid. As long as Jerome Powell is still printing like a drunken sailor I don't see what there is to freak out about.

Only thing of concern is the S&P has fallen back into it's old range (for now).

Have to think this is a BTFD opportunity.

Oh yeah Bitcoin looks like it's about to walk the plank into oblivion if it can't stick the $30K level.

Edited by nuckin_futz

58 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Some interesting moves today.

Oil -7%

XLE (energy ETF) has gone from $55 to $46 in no time.

SMH the semiconductor ETF made a new all time high at $264 then dumped to $242 in 4 days.

Not sure I believe the market is really freaking out about Delta variant. Markets have already established they don't give a crap about Covid. As long as Jerome Powell is still printing like a drunken sailor I don't see what there is to freak out about.

Only thing of concern is the S&P has fallen back into it's old range (for now).

Have to think this is a BTFD opportunity.

Oh yeah Bitcoin looks like it's about to walk the plank into oblivion if it can't stick the $30K level.

So many leveraged plays on the market that when a heavy sell goes on it feeds on itself. Down 2.2% so far today. Ever the optimist so buy. 

The business/investing news cycle may actually flip flop more than politicians. Last week and Monday it was doom and gloom, the crash was coming, the bull run was over. But today on BNN "the market continues the rebound". Personally, the market still seems nervous and on edge.

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The business/investing news cycle may actually flip flop more than politicians. Last week and Monday it was doom and gloom, the crash was coming, the bull run was over. But today on BNN "the market continues the rebound". Personally, the market still seems nervous and on edge.

Never listen to any main stream business news for macro-market sentiment 

It's all bull$&!# 

4 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

These clowns have no clue and just make up whatever to sound smart. This market was never concerned about a Delta variant. The markets do not give a rat's arse about Covid. That much has been clear for 15 months. Not like they are going to start caring now that so many are vaccinated.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

At what point does Musk get called out for intentionally manipulating an entire market?

For the record, last week one of Musk's she'll companies invested a TON in crypto stocks and today at the B conference he said Tesla and no less than 6 other major corporations would be accepting Bitcoin should companies move towards renewable mining practices.

So....for those paying attention

CSTR

GBLC

CCTL

SANP

https://futurism.com/elon-musk-tesla-bitcoin-again

On 7/10/2021 at 3:22 PM, Warhippy said:

IM still sitting happy.  Just wanted to check in.  Got excited a few times and gambled and lost but still up on the year.

Hard to not be excited about making money, so easy to get over leveraged or wait to long

I think I started getting to over trading trying to catch fire and sell in the green.  I have transitioned to the more blue chip stocks recently as opposed to the hopeful bigger run small cap stocks.  Looking to free up money and invest in a Russell or Nasdaq ETF