The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

1 hour ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Basically what Gokou said with regards to ETFs and individual stocks. A lot will depend on time horizons - ie. do you need the money in the next year? Is it for retirement in 20 years?

Both Vanguard and BMO have '1 stop shop' ETFs to suit different timelines/risk tolerances that capture the whole market, with varying equity:fixed income splits. I would park money in one of those funds that suits you, while you read some books, research and practice (with small amounts or play money).

Vanguard: VEQT (100% equities - ie. higher risk, longer time horizon - focused on growth), VGRO (80% equity : 20% fixed income), VBAL (60:40), I don't know the tickers for the other splits (40:60, 20:80, 0:100)

BMO: They have similar funds - I think ZGRO, ZBAL etc. (https://www.bmo.com/gam/ca/advisor/products/etfs#--tabs-1629911910498-) - they are listed under the "Equity" tab.

I like the Vanguard ETF's. I use VBAL. Steady gains in this market which they all should but I like their downside safety. VBAL has not dropped as badly as my other funds and stocks. 

• Upvote 1

@Chip Kelly I'll echo what the rest of the folks on here have said, and add that another great book is "The only guide to a winning investment strategy you'll ever need" by Larry Swedroe. My old man gave me that book and a cheque for my 18th birthday and I couldn't be more grateful - that was the start of my financial education. I'd say pick your first investment (I'd go a diverse ETF like VSP, XEQT, VUN, etc.) and then really monitor how it behaves over time as various pieces of news and world events occur. That will teach you what you need to know to progress into other ETFs that cover companies of different sizes, different growth/value characteristics, and different regions of the world.

I started with an investment into CIBC just to start monitoring and learning like I mentioned above, then built out my portfolio with a few core ETFs to get all the size/region exposure I wanted, and then started trying individual stock picking once I had built a solid base portfolio and a base of knowledge about the market. I'd caution against jumping right into picking individual stocks, I know I would have made many more mistakes along the way.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Thanks for the input everyone. Have been doing some research and reading on the internet.

My biggest concern would be buying up shares on a stock that is capped out already.

Most "expert analysts" seem to think that the majority of stocks especially on the TSX have recovered and will not have the astronomical growth seen from a year ago. 

Also reading about how a pullback or market correction is imminent.

Not gonna lie very tempting to ride the wave on Light speed and jump in with 10k worth of shares and see if gets to $200 plus stock price before the end of 2021.

Does anyone have any good go to websites,apps,forums,etc to get some hints about companies and stocks to look out for?

How does everyone feel about the Motley Fool and Yahoo Finance?

I would be more comfortable investing in Canadian companies for now as opposed to US ones to start.

16 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

Thanks for the input everyone. Have been doing some research and reading on the internet.

My biggest concern would be buying up shares on a stock that is capped out already.

Most "expert analysts" seem to think that the majority of stocks especially on the TSX have recovered and will not have the astronomical growth seen from a year ago. 

Not gonna lie very tempting to ride the wave on Light speed and jump in with 10k worth of shares and see if gets to $200 plus stock price before the end of 2021.

Does anyone have any good go to websites,apps,forums,etc to get some hints about companies and stocks to look out for?

I would be more comfortable investing in Canadian companies for now as opposed to US ones to start.

Don't do that; it's an impossible prediction to make accurately or with any consistency. Most people who do trading, especially those who don't do this full time day in day and out and beyond the regular work day hours, aren't overly successful and don't beat the index so it begs the question of why even bother

On 8/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, Chip Kelly said:

A good rule of thumb is to have 80-90% in total market/index funds (the vanguard funds mentioned above are like 50% US stocks, 30% canada, 20% rest of world). The other 10-20% can be your individual picks. Honestly, at your stage, I would go 95+% index. Tough time to pick individual stocks...especially growth. When do rates increase? Is a market correction imminent? No one knows.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2021 at 12:26 PM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Don't do that; it's an impossible prediction to make accurately or with any consistency. Most people who do trading, especially those who don't do this full time day in day and out and beyond the regular work day hours, aren't overly successful and don't beat the index so it begs the question of why even bother

Just curious when I mentioned the talk of a market correction coming at some point in time next year or the future (who knows right?)... are you saying now is not a good time to invest in volatile stocks or just about not being able to time the market?

On 3/6/2021 at 9:32 AM, AriGold2.0 said:

Yeah that's my mom's neighbor, he's works with the finance minister of Canada. He was a big dog buying for TD before. He only throws us a bone once in a while but when he does I don't question it. My DD is probably 1% of what his is.

He also gave us Trading desk at $220 and it ran to $950 within a year. I didn't buy any because I didn't know any better and $200 a per share for anything was a 2nd language to me back then.

K guys.. I'm back and I'm exiting the market, I don't have long term portfolios like you guys.

My mothers neighbor (special advisor to finance minster of Canada) said that he's exiting a large part of his portfolio expecting a big big drop again. 

His main points were China Steel, Debt Issuance (high yield corporate debt) and inflation (global recession).

Take it for what you want but I'm exiting...

Hope all is well guys...

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, AriGold said:

K guys.. I'm back and I'm exiting the market, I don't have long term portfolios like you guys.

My mothers neighbor (special advisor to finance minster of Canada) said that he's exiting a large part of his portfolio expecting a big big drop again. 

His main points were China Steel, Debt Issuance (high yield corporate debt) and inflation (global recession).

Hope all is well guys...

Well....glad i'm not the only one.

I'm keeping a small hold, $8400 in crypto nonsense but otherwise i am also out

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been following the Evergrande saga? FYI Evergrande is the 2nd largest property developer in China. They have a lot of debt and debt payments due and do not seem able to make them. The risk for contagion inside China and globally is serious.

China has told banks that Evergrande will not pay interest due on 20 September

Wed 15 Sep 2021 05:19:24 GMT

The latest on the Evergrande situation in China

This has turned into a real calamity and if anything else, the contagion risks are growing bigger by the day. Things are moving quite quickly and fears of any default will heighten risks towards smaller banks and also the property market in general.

Keep an eye on the developments here as they have broader implications for China's financial sector and in turn, risk sentiment globally as a whole.

It now boils down to a question of whether local authorities are bold enough to stick with making Evergrande an example of its latest shift in mentality or if they are going to bail them out and prevent a chain reaction of unwanted events.

Evergrande bond trading halted again after fall of more than 20%

Wed 15 Sep 2021 06:20:42 GMT

The unease continues to grow with Evergrande

A statement released by local market authorities says that Evergrande's May 2023 Shenzhen-exchange-traded bond has seen trading paused after falling more than 20%. This comes after the earlier news here.

Just how much can something keep plummeting before it reaches zero?

Oh wow never really followed them but thats unfortunate.  Google says they have 123,000 employees, thats quite the work force and being the 122nd largest company in the world at one point.  Quite the fall the company seems to be spiraling down into.

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Random question. If you won, let’s say, 10M in the lottery how would you invest it?  

I have always wondered how you could make more money if you were fortunate enough to win a considerable amount. 

Where do you live & where do you keep the 10 million hidden?  Asking for a friend.:ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Random question. If you won, let’s say, 10M in the lottery how would you invest it?  

I have always wondered how you could make more money if you were fortunate enough to win a considerable amount. 

Narcotics seem to always be profitable 

On 9/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, AriGold said:

Hope all is well guys...

How will you determine when to go back in? Arbitrary % decline or technical signal? While I expect there to be somewhat of a decline I'm not convinced it will be a major crash. Maybe 5-10% similar to last year. I do have some cash sitting on the sidelines but still remain nearly fully invested. If it gets down 10% I will likely invest my remaining cash. I am out of most speculative stocks with most of my holdings in blue chip stocks that should be able to at least hold their own or provide me with decent divy to hold and wait. I also have a large part of my portfolio in chinese tech stocks for better or for worse and am willing to hold and potentially buy more with even more of a pullback. 

On 9/14/2021 at 11:46 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Anyone been following the Evergrande saga? FYI Evergrande is the 2nd largest property developer in China. They have a lot of debt and debt payments due and do not seem able to make them. The risk for contagion inside China and globally is serious.

This has turned into a real calamity and if anything else, the contagion risks are growing bigger by the day. Things are moving quite quickly and fears of any default will heighten risks towards smaller banks and also the property market in general.

Keep an eye on the developments here as they have broader implications for China's financial sector and in turn, risk sentiment globally as a whole.

It now boils down to a question of whether local authorities are bold enough to stick with making Evergrande an example of its latest shift in mentality or if they are going to bail them out and prevent a chain reaction of unwanted events.

A statement released by local market authorities says that Evergrande's May 2023 Shenzhen-exchange-traded bond has seen trading paused after falling more than 20%. This comes after the earlier news here.

I've been loosely following the situation and even though I am invested in Chinese tech I don't see how it would affect them long term even with a default. China may allow them to default but they are not in a situation where they want to allow systemic contagion to spread so I expect China to step up to the plate somehow. In the meantime I expect some massive volatility in my holdings but that is also why I continue to average down as necessary.

On 9/14/2021 at 11:46 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Have been following this for a while.  It will not be a Lehman Bros moment but they will be eaten up by chinese state owned companies at a fraction of the price, just to ensure people stay working.

What some are very interested in is the ghost city builds this company did during the major influx of people to the cities.  Whole citis purpose built in advance still sit empty in China and this company made a fortune building homes nobody might ever live in.

But a mroe serious question is that this company also slyly purchased investment property, condos/residential homes and apartments.  Made large investments in to row home developments in places like Ft Mac.  While its largest sole owned development in Canada is in Quebec, it also has a significant amount of property by reports in Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney and Brisbane as well as other larger centers around the globe.  Homes like the ghost shells in Vancouver that are not lived in but owned by "ghost holdings" and 1% students/99% homemakers

Some concern as to what this might mean if the company does fold and be dissolved in to state owned company hands.  It may by default make the nation of China and Xi Jinping one of the largest ownership groups of Canadian/Australian property in the world outside of the church and nations governments.

Edited by Warhippy