The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Have been following this for a while.  It will not be a Lehman Bros moment but they will be eaten up by chinese state owned companies at a fraction of the price, just to ensure people stay working.

What some are very interested in is the ghost city builds this company did during the major influx of people to the cities.  Whole citis purpose built in advance still sit empty in China and this company made a fortune building homes nobody might ever live in.

But a mroe serious question is that this company also slyly purchased investment property, condos/residential homes and apartments.  Made large investments in to row home developments in places like Ft Mac.  While its largest sole owned development in Canada is in Quebec, it also has a significant amount of property by reports in Vancouver, Toronto, Sydney and Brisbane as well as other larger centers around the globe.  Homes like the ghost shells in Vancouver that are not lived in but owned by "ghost holdings" and 1% students/99% homemakers

Some concern as to what this might mean if the company does fold and be dissolved in to state owned company hands.  It may by default make the nation of China and Xi Jinping one of the largest ownership groups of Canadian/Australian property in the world outside of the church and nations governments.

I despise the people who have driven property prices to insane levels here in Melbourne.

Unoccupied houses,first home buyers shut out of the market.

And our $hitty government who refuse to roll back negative gearing legislation.

I would also like to see the capital gains tax increased on investment properties.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

I despise the people who have driven property prices to insane levels here in Melbourne.

Unoccupied houses,first home buyers shut out of the market.

And our $hitty government who refuse to roll back negative gearing legislation.

I would also like to see the capital gains tax increased on investment properties.

It will be interesting to see what happens with this one regarding personal/residential properties and what it does for Canada/Aus

9 hours ago, Warhippy said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with this one regarding personal/residential properties and what it does for Canada/Aus

The people who are homeless and becoming homeless don't find it interesting. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/housing-boom-homeless-portland/100255594

This is happening in many parts of my state and others.

1 hour ago, Ilunga said:

The people who are homeless and becoming homeless don't find it interesting. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-29/housing-boom-homeless-portland/100255594

This is happening in many parts of my state and others.

Mate, I have just seen a 1 bedroom apartment for rent for $1800 in a city where the median monthly post tax income is barely $2200 a month.  This will bring the average 1 bedroom rentla prices towards $1500+

I know how bad it is and it's only getting worse.  Collapse is coming.

• Thanks 1

I was trying to buy  that Canadian tech company growth stock Nuveii on the dip .. put the buy order in and realized now a week later It looks like I got the wrong symbol and got some OTC pink shares and it shows up under the US flag even though it shows under Canadian holdings WTF????!!!!

Does anybody know what's going or that uses RBC direct investing? Am I stuck with these shares or can I even sell them off?

Will I get taxed by both Canada and the US now?

Please tell me I didn't just flush all my money and half my remaining TFSA room down the toilet  in 1 week.

Does anyone what OTC and pink shares are... please someone talk me off the ledge....

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

I was trying to buy  that Canadian tech company growth stock Nuveii on the dip .. put the buy order in and realized now a week later It looks like I got the wrong symbol and got some OTC pink shares and it shows up under the US flag even though it shows under Canadian holdings WTF????!!!!

Does anybody know what's going or that uses RBC direct investing? Am I stuck with these shares or can I even sell them off?

Please tell me I didn't just flush all my money and half my remaining TFSA room down the toilet  in 1 week.

Does anyone what OTC and pink shares are... please someone talk me off the ledge....

You won't get taxed if in your TFSA. It is a "Tax Free Savings Account". If you sell at a loss you will lose that TFSA room though. OTC/Pink shares are more risky stocks that don't qualify for the larger and more reputable exchanges.

Those risky plays are best in a non-registered account because you can write off any losses but you will get taxed on gains. Losing TFSA room sucks and is the risk of having risky stocks in your TFSA.

Index funds/balanced ETFs are the way to go for your TFSA.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, Warhippy said:

Mate, I have just seen a 1 bedroom apartment for rent for $1800 in a city where the median monthly post tax income is barely $2200 a month.  This will bring the average 1 bedroom rentla prices towards $1500+

I know how bad it is and it's only getting worse.  Collapse is coming.

My brother in law just got a house for his family here in the Fraser Valley, had a basement suite, they had a girl come look at it and talked to her about renting and she burst into tears and told her friend with her to pinch her when they offered her the place because it was $1400 when older places (this was a new build for him, nothing amazing but decent house) were going for $1800 for one bedrooms with much less quality.

Wife and I are looking for a home now, neither of us want renters really but if we found a place we could get a decent renter even at a below market value it would take a huge burden financially off us.  So many decisions to make.

16 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

You tried to buy NVEI and bought NUVCF instead?  Same company just looks like its not listed on the nasdaq or anything down there. You just bought in USD instead of CAD so you'll probably be paying the 1.5%-2% foreign exchange (can't remember what I pay with RBC when I do it).

If you sell keep the money in there, don't remove it from the TFSA, you can still buy and build it back up with something else if you wanted.  

Or simply just hold and see if she keeps going back up.  Just found an article on MontleyFool (some people like them, I find them ok) and they seem to like it.  I have had numerous stocks dip 20%+ under my buy, if you believe in them just hold them.  Not everything is going to be a winner from day 1, I have learned that the hard way with panic selling.  Just make sure you have things in your mind, are they day, week, month, year or lifetime buys?  That'll change your outlook on positions even if they dip.  TFSA is probably better to buy some safer stocks overall though.    

https://www.fool.ca/2021/09/24/could-nuvei-corp-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

Looks decent by that brief article, might be something you could hold for a few years if you can stomach ups and downs.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

ng.jpg

This is going to be a big problem this winter if it gets as cold as they are predicting. Natural Gas is at a 7 year high.

Yeah it will be interesting in the short and long term. With the clean energy transition one would think the cost of carbon is going to continue to increase, for both the consumer and the company.

On 9/5/2021 at 8:43 AM, AriGold said:

K guys.. I'm back and I'm exiting the market, I don't have long term portfolios like you guys.

My mothers neighbor (special advisor to finance minster of Canada) said that he's exiting a large part of his portfolio expecting a big big drop again. 

His main points were China Steel, Debt Issuance (high yield corporate debt) and inflation (global recession).

Take it for what you want but I'm exiting...

Hope all is well guys...

Alright, I gotta give this guy some credit.. Hell of a call so far...

image.png.9a8aa1f26c7b8a64fbba7875ca457c57.png

On 9/27/2021 at 6:15 AM, Russ said:

You tried to buy NVEI and bought NUVCF instead?  Same company just looks like its not listed on the nasdaq or anything down there. You just bought in USD instead of CAD so you'll probably be paying the 1.5%-2% foreign exchange (can't remember what I pay with RBC when I do it).

If you sell keep the money in there, don't remove it from the TFSA, you can still buy and build it back up with something else if you wanted.  

Or simply just hold and see if she keeps going back up.  Just found an article on MontleyFool (some people like them, I find them ok) and they seem to like it.  I have had numerous stocks dip 20%+ under my buy, if you believe in them just hold them.  Not everything is going to be a winner from day 1, I have learned that the hard way with panic selling.  Just make sure you have things in your mind, are they day, week, month, year or lifetime buys?  That'll change your outlook on positions even if they dip.  TFSA is probably better to buy some safer stocks overall though.    

https://www.fool.ca/2021/09/24/could-nuvei-corp-be-a-millionaire-maker-stock/

Looks decent by that brief article, might be something you could hold for a few years if you can stomach ups and downs.

I bought LSPD a similar volatile tech stock at $150 and now it's dropped down to $120 today. There is a Yankee hedge fund shorting the crap out of it!!!

It should be illegal to short companies we need the Reddit crowd to get in on this and squeeze these shorting bastards.

This whole game is rigged.

I am keeping my money in cash or maybe put a little bit in some good dividend companies once there is a bit of a pullback if anything at all.

Not missing out this time like I did last year by waiting too long to get in before the full recovery.

The market is too volatile right now for me.

It was easy making money back in 2020 when the entire stock market was on clearance sale prices.

Now is when we find out who truly is smart and understands what they are doing to make money long term.

It is really hard to pick individual stocks if the entire market might flop even more as many experts are projecting. Don't think an ETF is necessarily going to minimize risk.

Unfortunately the double whammy of having your savings sitting in cash while inflation balloons is only losing money as well albeit perhaps more slowly then a bad stock market swing...

8 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I bought LSPD a similar stock in the volatile tech sector at $150 and now it's dropped down to $120 today. There is a Yankee hedge fund shorting the crap out of it!!!

It should be illegal to short companies we need the Reddit crowd to get in on this and squeeze these shorting bastards!

This whole 

It was easy making money back in 2020 when the entire stock market was on clearance sale prices.

Now is when we find out who truly is smart and understands what they are doing to make money long term in this decade of volatile growth expected ahead.

It is really hard to pick individual stocks regardless of sector if the entire market might flop even more as many experts are projecting. Don't think an ETF is necessarily going to minimize risk adequately enough with diversification.

Unfortunately the double whammy of having your savings just sitting in cash while inflation balloons and eats away is only losing money as well, albeit perhaps doesn't feel as bad as a hard swift kick in the nuts on a bad stock market swing...

Edited by Chip Kelly
Double post

23 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

I bought LSPD a similar volatile tech stock at $150 and now it's dropped down to $120 today. There is a Yankee hedge fund shorting the crap out of it!!!

It should be illegal to short companies we need the Reddit crowd to get in on this and squeeze these shorting bastards.

I am keeping my money in cash or maybe put a little bit in some good dividend companies once there is a bit of a pullback if anything at all.

Not missing out this time like I did last year by waiting too long to get in before the full recovery.

Now is when we find out who truly is smart and understands what they are doing to make money long term.

It is really hard to pick individual stocks if the entire market might flop even more as many experts are projecting. Don't think an ETF is necessarily going to minimize risk.

Unfortunately the double whammy of having your savings sitting in cash while inflation balloons is only losing money as well albeit perhaps more slowly then a bad stock market swing...

Geez, where to start with this? It should be illegal to short sell? Why? What's wrong with having a 2 way market and proper price discovery? Short sellers provide balance to a market and have succeeded in bringing down many fraudulent companies like Worldcom, Enron, Refco, Luckin Coffee etc.

You claim the whole game is rigged but you fail to acknowledge the "rigging" of the last 18 months where the Federal Reserve (along with every other major Central Bank, including the BOC) has spent $180 billion dollars a month buying bonds and mortgage backed securities thus forcing equity prices higher. I guess it's totally normal for the S&P to double in 18 months during a global pandemic.

The Reddit crowd does not squeeze stocks with floats north of 125 million shares and just 2% short interest. There's literally no one to squeeze in LSPD.

Additionally the statement issued by Lightspeed Commerce in response to the report was generic and weak. Adding that they will have no further comment doesn't exactly thrill investors. It's not really a full throated defence of the allegations.

I hope LSPD recovers for you but have a game plan in place for if it doesn't.

• Thanks 1

3rd day in a row of getting stopped out of positions. Oh well.

That's a change.... 

Didn't see that happening, another 3 hit stops today. Oh well looks like I'm cash heavy now. 

Edited by Russ

18 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

It sounds like you still have a lot of learning to do but that's not a slight as we all had to learn from somewhere. Buying individual stocks will tell you a lot about your personality and whether you can change to become a better investor.  It sounds like you bought lspd because it is the hot tsx stock. Yes it has a lot going for it but it's also heavily overvalued which means the volatility comes with the territory. If you cannot handle volatility then you shouldn't be in individual stocks let alone ones that have greatest capability of going down the most potentially. Btw I have nothing but good things to say about LSPD and I am invested in it and just bought More at the $120 level on the dip.  However for one you have to learn how to avoid chasing hot stocks and then blame everything else if it doesn't go your way.  Second of all is you need to learn to tune out most of the noise and there will be plenty and it happens to all stocks. If you keep tuning in to all the noise you will end up selling either far to early or even worse at a loss because you believed certain reports. Granted there are times when the news will affect when you should sell but relatively rare assuming you have a solid business. Also timing the market is a fools game especially for a green investor. Always stay in the market and if you believe a crash is coming it's acceptable to hold 10-20% in cash but never go fully out because 95% of the time you will be wrong or or you are right but too slow or unable to react when a crash happens (hence your comment about not going back into market even though we had a huge crash in 2020)

• Cheers 1