The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

25 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Gold is frustrating. Volatile like BTC without the huge growth spurts. It's dropped almost $100 since this time last week.

I listened to an interesting podcast in which the guest essentially detailed why gold is quite a poor investment if you are looking for an inflation hedge. It will preserve value over a time frame of centuries, but over decades it typically under performs other assets. The example he used was that a Roman soldier's salary 2000 years ago matches what a captain in the US Army makes today (inflation matched of course).

It was the Rational Reminder podcast - I think the guest was named Harvey Campbell?

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I listened to an interesting podcast in which the guest essentially detailed why gold is quite a poor investment if you are looking for an inflation hedge. It will preserve value over a time frame of centuries, but over decades it typically under performs other assets. The example he used was that a Roman soldier's salary 2000 years ago matches what a captain in the US Army makes today (inflation matched of course).

It was the Rational Reminder podcast - I think the guest was named Harvey Campbell?

It doesn't seem like that good an investment. I keep hearing it is a hedge among other assets. This is a hedge against inflation. That is a hedge against inflation. Well, inflation itself has been a thing, particularly recently, and these assets haven't responded as we've been told

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Now, that is where I have made a lot of money.

Dad was an agent and convinced me to get in at a young age, a couple apts in Van in the 90's plus a small home on the Island ( still have it as a rental) and a few group investments. 

Flipped slowly over the years and now sit on 2 acres of waterfront as my primary.

I only play in stocks but love real estate.

You warnings are good though. Don't overextend folks.

I have made more money in real estate than anything else over the years. My father did as well. Getting started when young like you did was excellent advise from your father. My son could have bought a condo when he was going to the U of A and I advised him not to. "your there for an education not real estate speculation". I can kinda understand why he doesn't listen to me much anymore. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think crypto has taken the froth out of the gold market. I sold everything in that sector except for AEM and FNV. I think the oils will double before gold. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I think crypto has taken the froth out of the gold market. I sold everything in that sector except for AEM and FNV. I think the oils will double before gold. 

Gold v Crypto = Old Money v New Money

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

The oils have doubled from their lows. I doubled RDS-B, XOM, 50% on Suncor. Sold them a couple of weeks ago, which may have been early but I wanted to lock in profits to free up some cash and take some risk off the table.

7 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

The oils have doubled from their lows. I doubled RDS-B, XOM, 50% on Suncor. Sold them a couple of weeks ago, which may have been early but I wanted to lock in profits to free up some cash and take some risk off the table.

I am holding CNQ, FRU, CVE and WCP. I'll hold at least until I see $100 WTI. Should hit there by Q2 in 2022. If everything blows up this winter I am hooped but I doubt it. I like that you had your oils in USD, nice. I try to keep my USD in stuff I can't get in Canada. So heavy in Fangs and healthcare. 

6 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

german stock markets just opened with a jaw dropping plunge of more than 500 points (2,5%) of the most important stock index (DAX). Main reason is the emergence of a very concerning south african Corona variant. Excellent opportunity to buy the dip.

Which is what I did this morning. :) 

Didi bows to China regulatory pressure, will delist from NYSE

HONG KONG, Dec 3 (Reuters) - Just five months after its debut, ride-hailing giant Didi Global (DIDI.N) said it plans to withdraw from the New York Stock Exchange and pursue a Hong Kong listing, a stunning reversal as it bends to Chinese regulators angered by its U.S. IPO.

The company's shares were down around 15% after swinging between gains and losses in premarket trading as investors initially bet the move would appease Beijing and serve as a catalyst for a revival of its business prospects at home.

"Following careful research, the company will immediately start delisting on the New York stock exchange and start preparations for listing in Hong Kong," Didi said on its Twitter-like Weibo account on Friday.

Didi did not explain its reasons for the plan but said in a separate statement it would organise a shareholder vote at an appropriate time and ensure its New York-listed stock would be convertible into "freely tradable shares" on another internationally recognised stock exchange.

Sources told Reuters last month that Chinese regulators had pressed Didi's top executives to devise a plan to delist from the New York Stock Exchange due to concerns about data security.

Didi’s board convened on Thursday and approved the U.S. delisting and HK listing plans, said two sources with knowledge of the matter.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/didi-global-start-work-delisting-new-york-pursue-ipo-hong-kong-2021-12-03/

The CCP has been cracking down on everything and re-asserting their strength at every turn. This action in DIDI amounts to a financial heist. This is the first of many. All Chinese listed stocks are getting clobbered. If you own any of this stuff be careful. If you don't own any of it this is not a time to be bargain hunting.

Edited by nuckin_futz