The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

4 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

cathie.jpg.186ef7404d0c4c905041301685c86c20.jpg

Never understood the cult of Cathie Woods. Always thought she represented huge market risks. It appears the chickens are coming home to roost.

ARKK currently in a 42% drop from the high. S&P currently about -4.5% off the top.

Sure but as it stands today it has also 2.5x'd the S&P over the last 5 years. That said the current climate is not going to be kind to ARKK and the performance over the last few months confirms that.

SP500 may mimic what happened in late 2018 which would have us dip to close to 4000. Hopefully not but we will see.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:41 AM, Tortorella's Rant said:

Stupid market. A complete freak out over nothing only to bounce back. A waste of time and some people's dollars. 

Volitility often indicates extended markets. A Covid outbreak threatens possible earnings and sinks markets. So what happens if markets pull back by 20% which wouldn't be unexpected in overpriced markets. Markets crash and real estate will likely follow. Then you end up with over extended mortgage holders. Sorry but Trudeau won't be able to bail that market out. 

11 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

I would be glad if Genssler from the SEC and the congress come to a resolution soon just to wipe out the uncertainty. DeFi projects have been underperforming this year, mainly due to the uncertainty when it comes to regulation. Prices of other projects are suppressed as well because they might be declared by the SEC as securties with all the consequences this classfication has. For how long has been the ripple lawsuit going on ? It feels like 2 years and this lawsuit hasn't been settled yet. The whole crypto space needs some clarification. Certainty is something lot of investors in this space would embrace.

5 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

lol

Well, Melania Trump does have beautiful eyes.   And the watercolor is actually quite nice.  But I'm not sure why anyone would buy something for $180 US that they can get for nothing on the internet.

But, then, I've never really understood the attraction or purpose of NFTs.

I am laughing at eastern Canada as the Americans move their car manufacturing south. They are up in arms and squealing. A industry heavily subsidized by tax payers for decades. Immediately the call for tariffs. Oddly when hundreds of thousands of westerners lost their jobs, not a peep. BC has dealt with a lumber tariff that costs our economy $450 million a year. Top that with BC lumber companies that have had to invest their money in the USA and Europe as a result. This has been going on for decades with no suggestion of tariffs by Canada to penalize American protectionism. 

Trudeau is a fool and is recognized as such internationally. Canadian productivity declines annually as capital leaves Canada. If investing in Canada look at the oil companies and Canadian banks with significant USA exposure like TD, RY and BMO. The oils are still cheap CNQ, CVE, FRU and WCP. WTI hits + $100 in 2022. 

You win some, you lose some.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/investing/investment-ideas/article-cathie-woods-flagship-ark-fund-deep-in-the-red-yet-investors-stay/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=Globe Investor&utm_content=2021-12-22_18&utm_term=&utm_campaign=newsletter&cu_id=t7%2BP3rI%2Bt%2FYx5Iui%2B6yRZxVYYZ6TE%2BGK

One year after her Ark Innovation ETF than doubled and made her a household name, star stock picker Cathie Wood is poised to join a small club that no one aspires to be a part of: portfolio managers who have seen their funds go from first to worst in the span of 12 months.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:56 AM, Boudrias said:

I am laughing at eastern Canada as the Americans move their car manufacturing south. They are up in arms and squealing. A industry heavily subsidized by tax payers for decades. Immediately the call for tariffs. Oddly when hundreds of thousands of westerners lost their jobs, not a peep. BC has dealt with a lumber tariff that costs our economy $450 million a year. Top that with BC lumber companies that have had to invest their money in the USA and Europe as a result. This has been going on for decades with no suggestion of tariffs by Canada to penalize American protectionism. 

Trudeau is a fool and is recognized as such internationally. Canadian productivity declines annually as capital leaves Canada. If investing in Canada look at the oil companies and Canadian banks with significant USA exposure like TD, RY and BMO. The oils are still cheap CNQ, CVE, FRU and WCP. WTI hits + $100 in 2022. 

VET. It's not too late. At today's strip price for next year's oil and European gas they could yield $8/share of FCF. It's crazy. If oil was $100 add another $3. An annual dividend of 68%???  lol. Or they could fully pay their debt of about $2B. by year end. imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gatzkek said:

VET. It's not too late. At today's strip price for next year's oil and European gas they could yield $8/share of FCF. It's crazy. If oil was $100 add another $3. An annual dividend of 68%???  lol. Or they could fully pay their debt of about $2B. by year end. imo.

Aaaaaand European gas for next year drops 25% overnight :shock::lol:. Vermillion is still up today but free cash flow forecasts are probably just below 50% now. @Boudrias   That wasn't unexpected btw, but the longer those prices held on the better. A good price for euro gas and VET's baseline forecast price on the way to a billion dollars of free cash flow is $23 CAD per mmbtu. Right now after this pullback, it's at $45 CAD which still would yield over $7/share fcf for 2022, according to my calculations. imo

Edited by Gatzkek

8 hours ago, Gatzkek said:

Two pronged approach:

Pipes: ENB, TRP

Producers: CNQ, CVE, FRU, WCP

No drillers or producers who don’t pay a dividend. When WTI hits $100-120 I will start trimming. Burned in 2015 so I am extra cautious. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Two pronged approach:

Pipes: ENB, TRP

Producers: CNQ, CVE, FRU, WCP

No drillers or producers who don’t pay a dividend. When WTI hits $100-120 I will start trimming. Burned in 2015 so I am extra cautious. 

I'd say you can't go wrong with those either, but we both know that's not true. lol I have CVE as well. ARX is actually my biggest hold and it's the dog of the bunch.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Had a few people telling me to buy this a while ago.

Guess I am glad I didn't.

Is this a good buy now? 

I'm definitely not the right person to answer this, but generally I have a difficult time finding information about the company:

https://simplywall.st/stocks/ca/food-beverage-tobacco/tsxv-very/very-good-food-shares

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Had a few people telling me to buy this a while ago.

Guess I am glad I didn't.

Is this a good buy now? 

The price got way ahead of itself. At one time this company had a billion dollar market cap. That was completely ridiculous.

Their balance sheet shows approx $10 million in cash. For a company Hell bent on expansion that's not going to last all that long. Looks like investors are betting they're going to have to raise capital at some point and are pricing that in.

If you're interested my advice would be to keep an eye on it and watch for catalysts. Something that will stop the bleeding on their finances and drive earnings growth. Until then it's dead money.

• Thanks 1