The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

14 hours ago, Boudrias said:

My shot at an explanation is that SPY index represents the S&P 500 index of companies. Markets were in turmoil today for as many reasons as you want to read. Primarily the threat of increased interest rates on earnings of public companies. If borrowing costs go up their earnings will go down and their stock price will go down. Many tech company stocks are dropping because their earnings are suspect. At one point today my portfolio was down 3% and yet closed the day at -0.4%. Full blown recession could drop markets 20% or more. 

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Technically speaking we bounced pretty much where we should have (off prior support). Hindsight is always 20/20 B)

snp.jpg.dee65d71cdb2ff72348e0aad0cecf421.jpg

In non technical terms, we exhausted the sellers and buyers came in. An extreme move down was met with an extreme move up. I would think SPY could find resistance around 450-470.

We are now in a rising rate environment. Speculative garbage with iffy earnings is not the place to be. Things like ROKU, RIVN, PTON, AFRM should be avoided. Less sexy stuff like financials, oil services and dividend paying stocks should provide a nice place to ride out any storm.

Unless you get a full scale war in Ukraine or Powell gets unexpectedly hawkish we probably chop around in a range for some time.

Never seen anything like it, was watching SPY live all day. My thoughts were it may be setting up for a bull trap, retailers buy up today and then we dump Wednesday before Jerome Powell speaks. 

22 minutes ago, HI5 said:

Never seen anything like it, was watching SPY live all day. My thoughts were it may be setting up for a bull trap, retailers buy up today and then we dump Wednesday before Jerome Powell speaks. 

Years ago I owned SPY because I wanted USA exposure. Sold it to buy individual stocks. Being a market timer is hard so I tend to hold my stocks unless their particular story changes. Always like value stocks in the CDN market. In the USA I pick up stocks in industries that are not well represented in Canada. Tech, healthcare and defense. Some industrials as I recently added GM. No dividend tax credit on USA stocks so buying USA dividend stocks is not a key criteria. 

On the Canadian side I do buy dividend payers as a primary criteria but also has to have value. My portfolio has a PE of 15.2 which is good for me. I have bulked up on energy over the past year as the dividends were very good and I suspect we see WTI at + $100 in 2022. The big challenge is liquidating these holdings and transitioning to other sectors as the transition to EV continues. Still lots of time.  

• Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Trump stocks have been killing it for me. Hopefully they continue this strong ride as we’re close to the release of his new social media app.

Not sure what stocks would benefit from a Trump re-elect? He won't be any friend to the Fang's. I'll stay the course as their growth is still there and they are all cash rich. Also own MSFT which is doing some M&A these days. Games and security are growth areas. 

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Not sure what stocks would benefit from a Trump re-elect? He won't be any friend to the Fang's. I'll stay the course as their growth is still there and they are all cash rich. Also own MSFT which is doing some M&A these days. Games and security are growth areas. 

Nothing to do with re-elect. His social media app Truth Social was set to release February 21st but has now been delayed to late March.

All the stocks linked to him and these new conservative social media platforms such as DWAC, PHUN, MARK, AIAD and CFVI. A lot of these guys move together. 

Not saying these are going to go ballistic like they did in October where DWAC hit 400 but I’m hopeful for a decent rally up until the new social media app releases. 

A lot of good news around these things recently as well. Rumble offered Joe Rogan a 100 million dollar contract just recently. Trump’s 2016 Digital Director and 2020 Campaign Manager has recently been pumping PHUN and AIAD.

• Upvote 1

for those who believe in the continuing growth of the chip business. Intel is currently making every possible effort to close the gap to the chip manufacturers in Asia. CEO is currently negotiating with the european union and selected european countries to build up a chip manufacturing site in Europe. This project will be generously supported by the European union wit billions of US-$ in subsidies:

https://cryptopotato.com/intels-bitcoin-mining-chip-to-be-1000-times-faster-than-closest-rivals-claims-vp/

Intel’s Bitcoin Mining Chip to Be 1000 Times Faster than Closest Rivals, Claims VP

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

unreal - 20M hits shortly after the ad - :shock:

Did you see the ad? They literally only posted a QR code on the screen for 30 seconds. No sound or other visual effects. Just a bouncing QR code like an old DVD player logo. Not surprising it garnered quite a few ppl scanning it.

Any one have a good book recommendation on options trading? I'm more interested in setting up some passive income strategies with options on companies that I follow and stay up to date on. I am in a large cap covered call etf but I would like the flexibility to start to do this on my own (covered calls, selling puts, straddles etc).

• 2 weeks later...