The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

North Korean hackers Lazarus Group believed behind $100M heist on blockchain Harmony

Info via Bloomberg (gated)

• Suspected North Korean hackers known as the Lazarus Group are believed to be behind the recent $100 million heist on California blockchain Harmony, a firm that tracks stolen cryptocurrency said Wednesday.
  • Harmony confirmed that its Horizon Bridge, a seamless layer which allows cryptocurrency to move across different blockchains, had been hacked last week.

These stories never seem to go away.

Stick with Canadian oil stocks and add if you are not fully weighted. Their priced at $60 WTI equivalent right now when WTI is at $108.83. OPEC has no significant reserves to bring onto world markets. In fact Africa is having trouble at maintaining volumes. 

FTX closing in on deal buy BlockFi for $25 million. Was last valued at $4.8 billion

• FTX gets the crypto lender for just $25

CNBC citing three sources said FTX is closing in a deal for BlockFi. They warned the price could shift before tomorrow, when it's expected to close.

BlockFi's last private valuation was $4.8 billion and had raised almost $1 billion in venture capital funding. The company received an emergency $250m line of credit from FTX.

This basically wipes out all of BlockFi's investors but at least it will save the clients. Meanwhile, earlier today it was reported that FTX walked away from Celsius after finding a huge hole in its balance sheet.

:lol:  Ouch.

• Haha 1

First half performance in 2022:

Apple: -23%

Microsoft: -24%

Alphabet: -25%

Amazon: -35%

Tesla: -35%

Zoom: -40%

Airbnb: -45%

Pinterest: -49%

Nvidia: -50%

Uber: -50%

Meta: -53%

Bitcoin: -60%

PayPal: -62%

Etsy: -64%

Netflix: -70%

Snap: -72%

Ether: -73%

Shopify: -74%

Coinbase: -80%

:sadno:

• Huggy Bear 1

23 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Good time to buy?

1 minute ago, UnkNuk said:

Good time to buy?

Depends on many factors. What are you thinking of buying? What is your appetite for risk? What is your time frame? etc.

In this type of environment I like things that pay a dividend. It's always nice getting paid to wait.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Yikes. I still have my GOOL and MSFT but sold AMZN. I have been thinking about buying INTL, down about 42% YTD. I took Buffet and Gates advice on Bitcoin. 

2 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Depends on many factors. What are you thinking of buying? What is your appetite for risk? What is your time frame? etc.

In this type of environment I like things that pay a dividend. It's always nice getting paid to wait.

That is my mantra. I am not buying unless there is a +3% dividend yield that is growing. I do have a 20% portfolio allocation to USA growth stocks which I cannot get in Canada like MSFT & GOOGL. Lots of quality stocks on sale right now. 

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

That is my mantra. I am not buying unless there is a +3% dividend yield that is growing. I do have a 20% portfolio allocation to USA growth stocks which I cannot get in Canada like MSFT & GOOGL. Lots of quality stocks on sale right now. 

You can now get those in CAD via CDRs (Canadian Depository Receipts). Kind of like what BABA is on NYSE. The CDRs are backed by CIBC.

6 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

You can now get those in CAD via CDRs (Canadian Depository Receipts). Kind of like what BABA is on NYSE. The CDRs are backed by CIBC.

Are they carrying those in Canadian $'s? I have held MSFT & GOOGL for many years. I like the USD as a diversifier but also for USA travel. 

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Are they carrying those in Canadian $'s? I have held MSFT & GOOGL for many years. I like the USD as a diversifier but also for USA travel. 

They are hedged to CAD I believe. I think they are a new offering in the last 1-2 years.

https://www.investorsedge.cibc.com/en/learn/what-is-canadian-depositary-receipt.html

Edited by I.Am.Ironman

23 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

They are hedged to CAD I believe. I think they are a new offering in the last 1-2 years.

https://www.investorsedge.cibc.com/en/learn/what-is-canadian-depositary-receipt.html

Yikes! My oils are being decimated. I hold the course as FCF is still significant and dividends are up. Should recover. The wise politicians who rule us still have not brought forward a formula which will allow investment in this industry that won't be thrown under the bus when convenient. Refining capacity in N. America is pretty much at max.  

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Yikes! My oils are being decimated. I hold the course as FCF is still significant and dividends are up. Should recover. The wise politicians who rule us still have not brought forward a formula which will allow investment in this industry that won't be thrown under the bus when convenient. Refining capacity in N. America is pretty much at max.  

Capacity yes, but theres now 14 total refineries in the Texas area not even online that can handle and refine heavy crude and dilbit.  They're absolutely gaming us still and the dropping prices show that.

Prices in vancouver are now cheaper than the Okanagan even with their additional municipal taxes 

Production is at record levels, development skyrocketing.

ya....we're being hosed.

useful thread, I'm thinking about investing in crypto, it seems to be still profitable. Also I wanna try mining. I found free bitcoin games where I can practice my mining skills, build virtual mining center and even earn few coins while playing. Hope I'll earn some extra coins in the near future.

Edited by WilliG

On 7/4/2022 at 1:07 PM, nuckin_futz said:

Profitable dividend paying stocks are worth holding onto so long as they stay that way. The irrational market and the price at any one time is largely irrelevant if your time horizon is correct (the correct one being forever).

If you got money to spare, for sure, buy more.

But it's pay down debt and don't even look at the portfolio time lol.

On 7/6/2022 at 10:13 AM, Warhippy said:

Capacity yes, but theres now 14 total refineries in the Texas area not even online that can handle and refine heavy crude and dilbit.  They're absolutely gaming us still and the dropping prices show that.

Prices in vancouver are now cheaper than the Okanagan even with their additional municipal taxes 

Production is at record levels, development skyrocketing.

ya....we're being hosed.

Refining capacity and the price at the pump? I get you there. Local gas prices only stickness is that if oil prices go up, they go up. After that it's random.

Record crude oil production? Maybe, but it's not a giant new record, it's kind of flat, and has been for a few years, and it's not keeping up with demand. Supplies, like the US strategic reserve are dwindling. Biden is heading to Saudi asking OPEC to up their quota. OPEC responds "we can't make our existing quota".

On 7/4/2022 at 10:58 PM, I.Am.Ironman said:

But why would you want to? Just hold US companies in US dollars and Canadian companies in Canadian. It's not like it's hard to switch when you want to.

I doubt they provide that service for free.....