The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who do you choose?

KKnight2014

Okay? so I was implying trade deadline this year sorry if it wasn't obvious.

Sure thing boss! I'll make sure to run thread ideas by you before I post them.

I understand you were implying the trade deadline this year (assuming you mean 2016 since the 2015 deadline is long gone) but how do we know what to do since we wouldn't have won the draft lottery to get the 1st overall 2016 draft pick yet? Is it something where we're so far behind all the 29 other teams that even if we won every single game the rest of the way we'd still be in last? Are we so bad that NHL grants an unprecedented exemption to the draft lottery and just gives us the pick in December as a Christmas present?

I think you have to Matthews. Having Henrik leave that gaping hole down the middle in a couple years is going to hurt. All the best to Bo's development but he's not the #1 centreman we need to win a cup.

It'll hurt to pass on Chychrun, but hey, every good team takes a few bad years to truly rebuild. Maybe we'll be lucky enough to grab our Keith the year after.

So let's just be hypothetical here for discussion sake. After an injury plagued season,We land the #1 overall pick in the 2016 draft. Which direction do you choose for the club? Do you go Matthews,Puljujarvi or Chychrun? And why?

Which route do you choose at the TDL and in the summer?? What's your perspective?

Youngblood!

I've had my sights set on Chychrun for a while now but that's because I don't see us being the holder of the #1 pick, unless we win the lottery (unless absolutely everything goes wrong). However, if we do actually end up first, Matthews is probably the pick. TBH, I don't think you can go wrong here. IMO, Chychrun is a better prospect than Ekblad and I see Norris potential in his game. But we do need a true #1 center.

Matthews/Hovat would be a great 1/2 punch.

I'd rather have a 1C over a 1D any day, if we can only choose one that is. I would think forward picks have a higher likelihood of become NHLers due to the late development of most defensemen. Simply put, D-men are the bigger gamble despite it being our most immediate spot to fill. Only 3 D-men have gone first overall in the last 20 years.

Besides, which team would you rather watch? A team that's greatest strength is scoring, or shutting other teams down?

I'd rather have a 1C over a 1D any day, if we can only choose one that is. I would think forward picks have a higher likelihood of become NHLers due to the late development of most defensemen. Simply put, D-men are the bigger gamble despite it being our most immediate spot to fill. Only 3 D-men have gone first overall in the last 20 years.

Besides, which team would you rather watch? A team that's greatest strength is scoring, or shutting other teams down?

Complete opposite. Defense wins cups.

Chychrun (plus additional assets presuming we traded down) is far, FAR away from being a gamble. He's about as safe of a D pick as you get. And those additional assets would probably be another pretty good prospect or pick.

Plus he's got loads of offensive talent. He'll get you goals too ;)

We're pretty set for C's IMO. We have Hank for another likely 3-5 years, Horvat, Sutter, McCann, Cassels etc. A 1C in the prospect pool would be 'nice' but it's far from a necessity IMO. Particularly given how Benning appears to be building the team (two good second lines and two good third lines). Regardless, even if we're after an elite 1C we've still got a few years to draft, trade or develop one.

Chychrun all day, every day.

I'd trade down (never know if it's down or up) to a team I know will draft Matthews over a d man and take Chychrun with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

Ding ding ding. You are correct.

Plus my gut tells me Matthews is the next Patrick Stefan. Big ol bust. Him and his agent know it and are trying to hide his flaws in a weak euro league.

That and were due for a first OA bust any time now.

I'd trade down (never know if it's down or up) to a team I know will draft Matthews over a d man and take Chychrun with the 2nd or 3rd pick.

This is actually a better idea. Chychrun won't likely go first, so getting a little something by trading down would be great.

Archived