The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2016 World Cup of Hockey

The reason why sports is so fun to watch is because the players are willing to sacrifice themselves for the team. In hockey, this means blocking a 100 MPH slap shot or taking a hit to make a play.

What does team North America or euro stars have to play for? Are they going to try and block shots at all, just before the season starts and risk injury? Are they going to take devastating hits to make the plays or chicken out and give the puck away? Are there going to be a devastating hits at all in this tournament?

They should've kept it as a country vs country competition with a long term vision of eventually making it as reputable as World Cup of soccer. Start with top 8 ranked countries in the world, then try to grow the game by going to the Olympics in Asia (Korea in 18 and China in 22) and hopefully the number of teams can be expanded to 12, 16, then 24 in 20 or 30 years.

Yeah agreed with the bold part, and this tournament is similar to the international leagues I would've thought up when I used to play NHL console games as a kid.

Thing is, I see it almost as another all-star tourney. It'll probably be more loosey-goosey to start but once it gets to eliminations I think most teams will still give it close to their all. The competitive spirit that the participating athletes have should hopefully bring out close to their best even in a gimmick tournament like this. What's more, maybe the "Euro Stars" (the Slovaks, Swiss and Danes in particular) would find their incentive in the opportunity to show the other teams that they can in fact run with the major national powers.

I'm still looking forward to this tourney when it happens!

• 1 month later...

so can someone tell me what have Babcock done since 2008 that makes him deserving of being the head coach of team Canada over guys say like Quineville or even AV?  2010 and 2014 gold medal tbh i think have very little to do with coaching.. and putting in any one of the more experienced coach would have yield the same result.

Archived