The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Training camp schedule, roster & activities

elvis15

Travis Erdhart, John Negrin, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks and John Kurtz -- what's the point of having these guys attend Canucks camp? Am I missing something here? I'd say get these guys a sheet of ice at the Aud and let them skate there while they wait for the Comets camp to start instead of taking time from the guys who have legit shot of making the Canucks. This whole Negrin nepotism thing is starting to get old.

And wondering where Blomstrand is? If I recall correctly, he missed last year's training camp.

they are in the system, so why not include them in training camp activities especially if they need some more bodies? They get exposure to the NHL team and coaches, and at the very least get a chance to show what they've done over the summer.

Couldn't this have gone in one of the other training camp topics? Shnawwwrfffff

- (insert link) Vancouver Canucks training camp 2003

- (insert link) training camps... Do we really need them?

- (insert link) are the canucks the cream of the crop when it comes to training camps?

- (insert link) training day - denzel Washington to join canucks camp

- (insert link) [official] elvis15 to mini mod canucks 2015 camp

Anyways just having some fun!

I wish I could go to camp this year. Last year was literally the coolest experience I've ever had as a fan. Unfortunately I wasn't able to convince anyone to dish out 500 or so to fly to Prince George with me and I definitely don't wana go alone =(

Makes sense that they spread it out though. People all over BC deserve to get a chance to interact with our team.

GO CANUCKS GO

Travis Erdhart, John Negrin, Wacey Hamilton, Carter Bancks and John Kurtz -- what's the point of having these guys attend Canucks camp? Am I missing something here? I'd say get these guys a sheet of ice at the Aud and let them skate there while they wait for the Comets camp to start instead of taking time from the guys who have legit shot of making the Canucks. This whole Negrin nepotism thing is starting to get old.

And wondering where Blomstrand is? If I recall correctly, he missed last year's training camp.

Yup. It's the continuity between the farm club and the big club. Hamilton and Bancks are leaders in Utica and they want everyone on the same page. Plus, they stand a legit chance of a call-up.

I wouldn't be surprised to see several more names added to the roster as main camp approaches. Not just the kids coming from the YoungStars tourney but some of the other players from the system (especially those who fall somewhere in between the "prospect" and "veteran" labels--ie: guys like Blomstrand).

Also, and this is a bit O/T, I'm wondering if anyone's gonna do a GDT for tonight's tournament opener? Maybe even get a sign-up going for any of the various games that will be streamed or broadcast (YoungStars tourney, main camp intersquads, preseason games, etc.). I have to assume that a good sized group of us are going to be watching these so it might be nice to get some GDTs going during the games.

I got a question.

What determines when a player can come to training camp and compete for a job?

Boeser for example.

It's been covered in a few other threads, but if a player is going the college route they can't participate in anything unless it's at their own expense. More particular to training camp, it also can't conflict with their college season (which is already beginning for Boeser and Demko).

Then you have overseas players like Tryamkin and Jasek, and it's not so much about who's paying whose way, but more about their seasons already beginning as well. Since they're technically under contract with their overseas teams and not with us they have to be there instead of here.

What might confuse some people is how junior players are allowed to be skipping their camps to come to ours, particularly if they haven't signed a contract with us yet. The aim of the junior programs is completely to develop the players into pros with the end goal being the NHL. They give the players the chance at a pro camp (and maybe sticking in the NHL) as a result.

they are in the system, so why not include them in training camp activities especially if they need some more bodies? They get exposure to the NHL team and coaches, and at the very least get a chance to show what they've done over the summer.

How else are they going to have split squad games? B)

It's been covered in a few other threads, but if a player is going the college route they can't participate in anything unless it's at their own expense. More particular to training camp, it also can't conflict with their college season (which is already beginning for Boeser and Demko).

Then you have overseas players like Tryamkin and Jasek, and it's not so much about who's paying whose way, but more about their seasons already beginning as well. Since they're technically under contract with their overseas teams and not with us they have to be there instead of here.

What might confuse some people is how junior players are allowed to be skipping their camps to come to ours, particularly if they haven't signed a contract with us yet. The aim of the junior programs is completely to develop the players into pros with the end goal being the NHL. They give the players the chance at a pro camp (and maybe sticking in the NHL) as a result.

How else are they going to have split squad games? B)

Thanks alot for the response

So with a jack eichel scenario it's just a forgone conclusion that he will make the team then? Therefore he pays his own way and makes the jump. What about borderline players that will probably make it but it's not a sure thing? Not disagreeing with you it just doesn't se to make sense.

Thanks alot for the response

So with a jack eichel scenario it's just a forgone conclusion that he will make the team then? Therefore he pays his own way and makes the jump. What about borderline players that will probably make it but it's not a sure thing? Not disagreeing with you it just doesn't se to make sense.

I'm not sure what you mean, Eichel decided to go pro and signed with the Sabres earlier this summer. His other option was to go back to BU, which would have prevented him from attending camp much the same as Boeser or Demko, but he decided against that obviously.

http://news.wbfo.org/post/eichel-goes-pro-signs-contract-sabres#stream/0

If for some reason he doesn't make the team, he can go to the AHL and play a bit before coming up later (or next season) because he wasn't drafted out of junior.

As far as borderline players, I assume you mean players who are eligible for camp who would otherwise go to the AHL or junior if they don't make the team (rather than those that can't attend, again like Boeser or Demko). If you do mean the college or overseas players, they aren't attending whether they're borderline or not.

I'm not sure what you mean, Eichel decided to go pro and signed with the Sabres earlier this summer. His other option was to go back to BU, which would have prevented him from attending camp much the same as Boeser or Demko, but he decided against that obviously.

http://news.wbfo.org/post/eichel-goes-pro-signs-contract-sabres#stream/0

If for some reason he doesn't make the team, he can go to the AHL and play a bit before coming up later (or next season) because he wasn't drafted out of junior.

As far as borderline players, I assume you mean players who are eligible for camp who would otherwise go to the AHL or junior if they don't make the team (rather than those that can't attend, again like Boeser or Demko). If you do mean the college or overseas players, they aren't attending whether they're borderline or not.

Thanks again. Not trying to be difficult.

So if I understand you correctly then it's really up to the player then. So boeser could attend camp if he wanted to but knowing he isn't ready he would decide not to so as not tissue out on his college camp. That's all I was after. I would have thought it was up to the Canucks whether a guy like boeser attended camp or not.but your explanation a Kes sense. Thanks

Thanks again. Not trying to be difficult.

So if I understand you correctly then it's really up to the player then. So boeser could attend camp if he wanted to but knowing he isn't ready he would decide not to so as not tissue out on his college camp. That's all I was after. I would have thought it was up to the Canucks whether a guy like boeser attended camp or not.but your explanation a Kes sense. Thanks

Not really. I mean, I guess he could, but that decision would be to drop from college altogether since he can't do both. It's not just a decision about camp that has no effect on college.

It's rules in place by the various organizing bodies rather than the Canucks, similar to how the CHL has the agreement to govern what happens with junior eligible players who are cut from NHL camps. I'm sure the Canucks would like to keep Virtanen in the AHL if they had the choice, but it's the agreement between the CHL and NHL that says they can't. Same thing with Boeser, I'm sure they'd like him here but the college eligibility rules say he can't since their season is beginning.

Yup. It's the continuity between the farm club and the big club. Hamilton and Bancks are leaders in Utica and they want everyone on the same page. Plus, they stand a legit chance of a call-up.

Hamilton and Bancks are on AHL contracts. I doubt the Canucks brass will sign them to NHL contracts unless they burn up the A. They're good depth and glue guys for the Comets, but they are NOT legit chances for call up, especially when they are not signed to a Canucks contract.

I agree with your post there are at least 6 names on main camp that will always be 3rd line players for AHL farm teams??

Very confused why you would bring these guys to main camp.....Ernhart. Negrin, Hamilton, Bancks, Kutz will always be AHL players...

I agree with your post there are at least 6 names on main camp that will always be 3rd line players for AHL farm teams??

Very confused why you would bring these guys to main camp.....Ernhart. Negrin, Hamilton, Bancks, Kutz will always be AHL players...

Because as an organization you have to show free agents that they will at least be given a chance to make the NHL, even if they're career AHLers at best. Otherwise we'll have a hard time signing quality depth for the farm team.

^^^This too. Benning wants everybody from the top of the Canucks to the bottom of the Comets roster to be on the same page; playing the same style of game and to have the same internal competition structure (earning your ice time etc)......same team culture.

Training camp is the ideal place to set this in motion. New additions need to be indoctrinated to the Canuck way of doing things.

Archived