The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I will always be a Canuck Fan! (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Some here may remember the "Dark Ages", when Keenan came and blew up the team at the heels of the Messier "era?"...blahhughghh. When we had guys like Ciccone who couldn't skate or shoot or pass, and Gelinas was our leading scorer surrounded with an endless circulation of fringe players entering and leaving the line-up. And I still paid money to watch our team lose - and cheered very loudly. The fairweather fans left in droves and the sting of the 94 loss was made fresh again (Messier-Keenan) and then Burke was here and a couple twins were drafted and Naslund make everyone forget who Stojanov was and made Messier look like maybe he wasn't such a bad idea (oops brook my leg!) then Burtuzzi and McCabe made us forget Linden and well you know the rest (a decade plus of the very best hockey our fans have every had).

So this core is getting old (or stale as Torts puts it) and we are looking at some sort of transition/re-build with the old guard coming back to keep the ship right while doing it. I am and always will be a Canucks fan too - even if things go black for a few years (which I doubt they will).

To be a true Canuck fan, you must:

1) Question every single move the GM make.

2) Think there's some sort of league conspiracy against our team.

3) Overvalue our players, in trade situations.

4) Think Chris Higgins is worthless and is replaceable, with a young prospect.

There is nothing worst than a team that is too good to be bad and too bad to be good. That is how I feel the Canucks are right now. Middle of the pack, borderline playoff team. Not good enough to be a contender, but not bad enough to get high draft picks.

As long as I live here, I will support the home team.

I will too. A few years ago I made a thread because I was so excited and hopefully for the Canucks to win a third President's Trophy in a row. They would've been the first team for that to happen to. I was so drunk when I posted that, but the moderator liked it. That didn't happen. They didn't win the President's Trophy the third year. I am drunk again though, so maybe they will this year.

Go Canucks Go!

Quote. Of. The. Year.

I've been a fan since the 70's and always been Canucks fan first NHL fan second in everything.

I question when I think management or coaches make goofy decisions and will continue to do so. If anyone here believes when I do that I am not a fan then that is their problem and not mine.

There must have been a lot less fans at the end of the Gillis era, I wasn't seeing the same level of optimism back then. I have been, and will always be a fan of the Canucks not matter the roster, coach or GM. I will still vocalize my my opinion here for good or bad though. I'm fairly certain anyone coming here to argue about transactions and players all summer are indeed fans...except the odd troll who just lurk around because it's an active board. I am very optimistic for the upcoming season, I question how competitive we will be, but I'm excited to to see some prospects slot in when our aging vets need some rest.

I'll always be a Canucks follower, despite all the frustration and disappointment I've been put through. lol. It feels like once you start, you get sucked in, and there's no going back. Many times I've wished I never started being a fan because of how hopeless and futile it feels the chances of winning a cup are. I hate myself for it, but still I return lol. I keep checking this website and the newspaper, see the game results/ highlights, follow the standings and new signings, prospects...etc and stuff like that. I just cant stop. It kind of reminds me of the tv show Gilligan's Island, where you keep wishing they would finally get off the island, and then they get a great chance and you think this is it ! They're finally getting off, but then something ridiculous happens to screw it up and it back to square one again. lol.

Archived