The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

iPhone 6s & iPhone 6s Plus

TheRussianRocket.

Capitalism....sell products to people that they do not really need. Getting a new phone every few years at that price, and using it for things like snapchat and instagram. I can see how these "smart" devices actually make people dumber. Yet another distraction for the masses.

The beauty about capitalism is the people buying stuff like this have decided for themselves they want it, instead of someone else telling them what they need/want.

Capitalism also shows that people are very dumb. However, a good portion of us profit from dumb people, so.. hooray for them!

Capitalism....sell products to people that they do not really need. Getting a new phone every few years at that price, and using it for things like snapchat and instagram. I can see how these "smart" devices actually make people dumber. Yet another distraction for the masses.

dude typing into his computer on a hockey forum to criticize people who socialize on snapchat. stupid technology-using stupid people!

give me a break. boredom and the quest for distraction and the appeal of "the new" predates capitalism by a long, long shot

dude typing into his computer on a hockey forum to criticize people who socialize on snapchat. stupid technology-using stupid people!

give me a break. boredom and the quest for distraction and the appeal of "the new" predates capitalism by a long, long shot

Well if by "stupid technology-using people" you mean people whose lives are ruled by notifications provided on their cell phone then yes. Tell me exactly what educational or intelligence-related purpose such "apps" as snapchat or whatever the flavor of the month is provides?

You comparing my comment on a public forum for these IQ draining technology services where you actually have to be able to write and defend an argument on these types of forums, and I am using a 5 year old desktop computer, not a phone.

In case you are not familiar with a new body of research opening up on "smart" phones, type in cell phones lower IQ or even the health effects of the radiation emitted from these devices.

I guess when people were bored before this technology, they would read a book or play outside instead of playing video games and checking for notifications on their phone endlessly?

You comparing my comment on a public forum for these IQ draining technology services where you actually have to be able to write and defend an argument on these types of forums, and I am using a 5 year old desktop computer, not a phone.

do you think a smart phone is anything more than a computer? doesn't matter if you're using a brand new macbook or a 10 year old Dell -- the so called 'decline' of intelligence in users of technology is not related to the purchasing of that cutting edge in technology, so much as it is the use of technology to replace thinking or conventional learning (i.e. using Google rather than doing whatever the real life equivalent of Googling is)

snapchat is an app use by people to communicate indirectly. a forum is a website for people to communicate indirectly. if one is likely to encourage antisocial behaviour or tendencies or a social laziness, then surely the other is as well. just because a forum CAN be used to "write and defend arguments" does not mean that's what it's used for -- and just because you associate snapchat with frivolousness doesn't mean its users do. the point of both this forum and snapchat are the same: communication, dialogue, etc.

research on the influence of smart phones on intelligence is not limited specifically to the smart phone - it's "device culture" -- what are devices? computers. what is your 5 year old computer? a computer. doesn't matter how often you upgrade it, you're still utilizing it the same way someone utilizes snapchat: as a form of indirect socialization

but don't worry...

In case you are not familiar with a new body of research opening up on "smart" phones, type in cell phones lower IQ or even the health effects of the radiation emitted from these devices.

According to the University of Waterloo: "Social Media use does not correlate with intelligence. The results also indicate that use of social media and entertainment applications generally did not correlate to higher or lower cognitive abilities. Professors Jennifer Stolz and Jonathan Fugelsang, also from Waterloo's Department of Psychology, are co-authors of the study. Funding from the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada supported the research."

https://uwaterloo.ca/stories/heavy-smartphone-use-linked-lower-intelligence

If you are unaware, the two examples you gave (snapchat and instagram) are social media.

However: "In three studies involving 660 participants, the researchers examined various measures including cognitive style ranging from intuitive to analytical, plus verbal and numeracy skills. Then they looked at the participants’ smartphone habits. Participants in the study who demonstrated stronger cognitive skills and a greater willingness to think in an analytical way spent less time using their smartphones' search-engine function."

Please note the bolded. This isn't a problem inherent in HOLDING A SMART PHONE (the website says "smart phones and other devices"). it's a problem with using a search engine as a shortcut through life. having access to a computer is literally no different.

I guess when people were bored before this technology, they would read a book or play outside instead of playing video games and checking for notifications on their phone endlessly?

yes, back in the day people read more. they read long books like the ones by Jane Austen, where the author very explicitly deals with what she herself described as "ennui" (read Emma). if you read these books and see these characters as engaged, excited, lively figures, then you are kinda crazy imo. people are ALWAYS bored. and back then, reading Emma was considered a waste of time and for the passive minded--sound familiar? and now you seem to be suggesting it's the better way to live?

or maybe you reach deeper into history and romanticize a time when the wealthy would go for long strolls through the trees to examine birds, before extended periods of bathing. meanwhile, the poor were just getting drunk, acting violent, vandalizing, or searching for scraps and 'low' forms of entertainment.

gossip and small talk are not new. trivial people are not new. boredom is not new. escapism is not new. nothing you are describing is remotely new, you just seem to prioritize the old simply to emphasize your distaste for the present (the smarmy guy in Midnight in Paris referred to this as "the golden age fallacy")

having access to a computer is literally no different.

Excellent post, and points well taken +1. I beg to differ on this point however. You cannot take a desktop to work, the bar, visiting your friends or family etc. The phone is a portable device which offers the user the ability to access these mind-numbing apps wherever, whenever. Therefore, the premise is that the smart phone, by the premise that it is portable and can be taken anywhere with you, offers a non-stop distraction to the user, whereby just by answering it they are distracting from the real place of where they are, be it work, family or school. Lets not get these devices mixed up now, a desktop stays at home in one area of the house, whereas the main point of a smart phone is access to anywhere anytime.

The next question is that do most users of a smart phone really use it as a "smart" phone? Beware of euphemisms. I am guessing most people use it to play video games, engage in mindless snapchap etc (omg look at this funny video! omg look where I am right now! omg I just uploaded my cat on his back!), these are hardly activities prescient to the progression of society. Fact is we are so addicted to these phones that it is draining the social connectedness that is necessary for healthy human behavior.

I appreciate your example of historical context; however, the poor have always been marginalized and have had less access to "educational" tools. Today is no different, have you seen homeless people with cell phones snapchatting? No they are probably either mentally ill or searching for food/shelter.

Also, one of my main points was do we need a new phone every few years or so? Besides the corporations putting out these phones, who benefits? The college schmuck who is willing to drop 1000 bucks on the new Iphone? Come on now be realistic. Also, you have not addressed the health effects of the detrimental radiation gleaned from these devices (although research on that is fairly new and no long term studies to date).

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

Excellent post, and points well taken +1. I beg to differ on this point however. You cannot take a desktop to work, the bar, visiting your friends or family etc. The phone is a portable device which offers the user the ability to access these mind-numbing apps wherever, whenever. Therefore, the premise is that the smart phone, by the premise that it is portable and can be taken anywhere with you, offers a non-stop distraction to the user, whereby just by answering it they are distracting from the real place of where they are, be it work, family or school. Lets not get these devices mixed up now, a desktop stays at home in one area of the house, whereas the main point of a smart phone is access to anywhere anytime.

The next question is that do most users of a smart phone really use it as a "smart" phone? Beware of euphemisms. I am guessing most people use it to play video games, engage in mindless snapchap etc (omg look at this funny video! omg look where I am right now! omg I just uploaded my cat on his back!), these are hardly activities prescient to the progression of society. Fact is we are so addicted to these phones that it is draining the social connectedness that is necessary for healthy human behavior.

I appreciate your example of historical context; however, the poor have always been marginalized and have had less access to "educational" tools. Today is no different, have you seen homeless people with cell phones snapchatting? No they are probably either mentally ill or searching for food/shelter.

Also, one of my main points was do we need a new phone every few years or so? Besides the corporations putting out these phones, who benefits? The college schmuck who is willing to drop 1000 bucks on the new Iphone? Come on now be realistic. Also, you have not addressed the health effects of the detrimental radiation gleaned from these devices (although research on that is fairly new and no long term studies to date).

Thank you and look forward to your reply.

In regards to phones, I think the term you're looking for is "planned obsolescence". They are intended to not last long. And as far as Apple iPhones are concerned, the planned obsolescence is likewise part of a product strategy to upsell their "Applecare" plans so people fork over money to replace a battery they should be able to replace as easily as as standard light bulb. (and not only replace from inevitable wear, but replace to be able to fit custom batteries -- i.e. consumer options)

This is likewise the reason I won't be buying the Note 5, and the Note series is easily my favourite since I used the iPhone nearly a decade ago. I don't care for a Samsung/Android equivalent of an iPhone.

But as for bringing your phone with eleventy billion apps around, that actually benefits me in a number of ways, I'll give a couple examples (some longer than others):

- Some people have terrible attention spans because they have ADD or ADHD. I would be included in that. Being able to play videos, music, games, or fiddle with apps (like skype, trillian, or browse the internet) would alleviate a number of problems that every day ADHD people like me (who has severe ADHD) have

- Lately I went in to get my car serviced for general maintenance at a Ford dealer, a tuneup and a number of other things that needed to be changed just because it's a good idea when you've started putting mileage on a car, as well as free replacement of a recalled part. I was there for some 3-4 hours. Given my wife works too, I had our daughter with me. They didn't have anything for kids at that dealer, so I let my daughter watch episodes from Treehouse on my phone, with it plugged in. It was a way of killing time and keeping my daughter out of trouble because she would undoubtedly get bored there in a few minutes.

- In the event you forgot to make an appointment and are waiting at your doctor's office for a visit (sometimes it can be a longer wait if they're popular), it's a good way to kill time.

- When we go about our daily routines, my wife and I sometimes update our Out of Milk shopping app which is sync'd over their servers. So when we go shopping, we have that app to remind us of things we want/need.

- We also use the Flipp app rather than carrying around a bunch of paper flyers. Since some places like Walmart and No Frills price match, we save hundreds of dollars a month because of this.

- We get numerous free drinks using the Starbucks app preloading funds onto it. (especially now that Pumpkin Spice is in season, it's going to be utilized more)

- Nextly, and this is why I chose an Android phone over Apple iOS device. You can take smartphone or a smart device, like an Android tablet (with phone functionality), you can force an app to take over the device's call or text functionality (or allow it to make you choose which to use for whichever call/text), which can be used over the data network and save lots of money on international calls and texts (in my case, I have a lot of family in the US and Germany, not many are in Canada). A prime example that I used for years until they killed off their XMPP protocol was Google Voice.

- I use Google Calendar and Gtasks to manage appointments, both at work and otherwise.

- We use the Cineplex app to avoid waiting in ridiculous lines for films when they come out. Then we use the Timeplay app in the theatres to play pointless games a few minutes before the previews start and get free Scene points.

- We have a home surveillance system and an Android app that allows us to remotely check on the house -- great for vacation trips without having to tell people, as most people who steal from you are known. (there's a reason I'm not saying which :lol:)

- We use apps like Redflagdeals when we go shopping to see if there's any deals at retail or online places we shop.

- We use the Gasbuddy app to see which gas stations nearby (since we're not always next to our Costco gas station close by) have the best gas prices.

- We use our Scotiabank and TD apps to regularly transfer funds between accounts and to rack up "points" on our various credit cards.

- Using navigation apps like Google Maps (with data) or Sygic (no data, has offline maps) for our regular trips to the US, without being overcharged for international roaming data.

- Using apps like Teamviewer or another home VPN app to remotely access anything on our home server.

- Tubemate to download videos from Youtube, like kid shows, so our kids can watch stuff when we have to wait around for things, rather than them tearing up a place.

- Use the AEA (Alberta Emergency App) which alerts us when emergencies occur, such as tornado warnings, and the Alberta Rivers app that notifies us of water levels.. very useful given the floods of 2013.

- Use Twitter for News updates, deals on products, and for other updates, for example, when there are power outages, ENMAX will update on their Twitter feed. I've bumped into Mayor Nenshi a number of times just having him on Twitter and seeing he was nearby (during Stampede for example).

- Silence Premium, so it silences my phone during certain hours, or during appointments.

- And of course games, like Angry Birds, or DateAriane (a game of trying to get into the pants of some pixel chick named Ariane), or Arkaball (i.e. Pong or Breakout for Android), Super Stick Golf, etc., for the times I'm waiting in the car for the wife, or at the doctor's office, or wherever.

So.. that's just a few examples, minus stigma.

There are plenty of apps that help enhance social skills, such as Tinder.

If people are becoming less social, I wouldn't blame these devices, blame the media.. and the populace who can't filter information, so they think the rapist kidnapper boogeyman is around every corner and they need to protect their kids at every moment of the day, or else they'll get kidnapped and die, like everywhere in Canada is as dangerous as Compton. This changes every day behaviour like people preferring to keep their kids inside and away from the boogeyman, rather than outside and socializing. As as result of their paranoia, and the need to keep kids entertained, these devices can come in handy for that, but that's not the device's fault.

Since usually the only things that Apple does well are ripping off other brands technology and making them simple enough for monkeys to use, I won't be surprised if something they finally developed themselves is a total flop. Could 3D touch be the worst new technology of the decade?

Apple gave birth to the smart phone, iPod, tablet, desktop computer, and god knows what else.

Archived