The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Is Darren Helm the perfect 4th line center on a Willie Desjardins team? What will he cost?

Darren Helm is his contract year. He's poised to get a decent raise from his current 2.5M/year. At 28, he's very much in his prime.

Detroit will have some cap space because of expiring contracts next season, but they'll have to re-sign or replace: Darren Helm, Brad Richards, Justin Abdelkader, Drew Miller, Riley Sheahan, Kyle Quincey and Petr Mzarek.

Helm is certainly a player they'd like to keep, but maybe there's also a chance he wants to test the market, or maybe Detroit doesn't want to invest the appropriate $$ to keep Helm around.

On a Desjardins team (4 lines rolling), wouldn't Helm be the perfect center? A 30 point guy who plays with high energy in all three zones? Reliable in any role? Important playoff player?

Helm played under Desjardins for 3 years in Medicine Hat, he led the forwards in points 2 of those years, and the team in points in 1 of them. He led his team in points en route to the Memorial Cup. His linemate? Current Canuck Derek Dorsett.

So, what's he worth to Vancouver if the cap goes up to 75M? I would suggest a 5 year 3.75-4M dollar contract. Yes, that's a lot for a 30 point center. But with the cap going up and Helm being a UFA (able to chose to sign anywhere), convincing him to come to Vancouver, who are not quite contenders yet, will take some ca$h.

Or, would it be a better idea to try to acquire Helm now? Detroit needs to make a move to be cap compliant, so why not bring in some decent assets instead of just dumping someone? If the Canucks acquire Helm now, they have a 4th center for the upcoming season and don't have to rely on Linden Vey, and can hopefully negotiate a smaller contract than if Helm was on the open market.

With a cap hit on 2.1M, and the Red Wings needing to dump 600,000 the Canucks would have to send very little cap to Detroit.

To Detroit: Linden Vey + a mid-level prospect (Ben Hutton?) + a 3rd round pick 2016

To Vancouver: Darren Helm

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata

Higgins - Sutter - Hansen

Prust - Helm - Dorsett

The main point is: I would like to see Helm acquired by the Canucks sometime between now and the start of next year. What are your thoughts? Does Helm fit the profile of what the Canucks should invest 3-4M in?

1. Ben Hutton is arguably our best defensive prospect. Make it someone like Sautner and it could happen.

2. Do we have cap space for Helm?

Depends on what the GM thinks the priorities are. But the Canucks have quite a bit of cap to play around with next year with Hamhuis, Vrbata, Prust, Weber, Bartkowski coming off the books, maybe moving Higgins and cap expected to rise 3-5M. I personally think that if Desjardins is the coach, that the Canucks need to be absolutely solid down the center, but someone else might disagree with me. I think a team like this is possible to fit under the cap:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows

Lucic - Sutter - Virtanen

Baertschi - Horvat - Hansen/Jensen

Gaunce - Helm - Dorsett

Cassels

Edler - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado

Bartkowski - Sbisa

Weber, UFA

Miller

Markstrom

and with Miller's contract coming up the year after, the Canucks will have room to play around again. In theory, that team probably still has 2-3M in cap space if a defenseman became available to improve the defense (Shattenkirk? UFA? etc).

Have fun getting him from Detroit for anything less than an overpayement.

Fair enough. Maybe it's best to wait for UFA season for Helm.

Helm isn't leaving Dtown. He wont resign for anymore money due to he has not earned it. He can also play the wing.

How do you know he isn't leaving? Especially if Holland doesn't believe he's earned a raise, which he could clearly get on the open market? Ability to play W only adds to his value.

There's no way Helm doesn't get an AAV of 3M+ on his next contract unless the term is over 7 years or something crazy like that, and even then I doubt it.

I'm a huge fan of Darren Helm, but I doubt Detroit will let him get away. They will find a way to keep him on terms that they like. They always find ways to get this done.

True, Holland has been an astute manager, but you can't keep everyone (think Hudler, Filpulla).

He's basically their Hansen. Think of the return you would want for Hansen; that's the kind of return they would want for Helm.

If the Canucks were over the cap and Hansen's agent told the Canucks he would test the market OR want double the money, then what I would want in return for Jannik Hansen would be different than right now.

Why would Helm leave DET to come play 4th line in Van lol

If he was offered 5M more over 5 years to play in Vancouver than in Detroit or offered better term or a NMC? Ex-linemate and ex-coach where had a ton of success are here? CDN boy wants to play in Canada rather than live in Detroit? If Holland has a replacement in mind? Sees Vancouver being on the upswing?

If he was offered 5M more over 5 years to play in Vancouver than in Detroit or offered better term or a NMC? Ex-linemate and ex-coach where had a ton of success are here? CDN boy wants to play in Canada rather than live in Detroit? If Holland has a replacement in mind? Sees Vancouver being on the upswing?

Why would we pay Helm $5 mill?

Yes to players like Helm. No to overpaying for them.

The way I see it, 4th liners are pretty replaceable, and if the team got someone like Slater on a PTO I would be happy with it, while it would cost a decent amount (both in trading for and signing him after) to get Helm. Not saying he isn't valuable, it's just that the team shouldn't focus so much of its assets on upgrading at 4th line center of all places when he (and that position) won't be the make-or-break factor for the team's success. He'll also eat up so much of the remaining cap space.

What's more, I wouldn't entertain trading Hutton given the team's bare D cupboard. Best case in my eyes would be to PTO Slater and trade Vey for an offensive D prospect (like Rundblad) and keep Kenins as the 13th guy.

Archived