The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Benning believes culture change will improve Canucks" Bob Mackenzie Interview

Gstank29

I think most people understand that is his point. It is just a subpar, dare I say poor, form of communication. It is just a turn of phrase that has spread throughout the hockey world. The "correct" way to communicated this thought would be to first describie the general traits of these players and then citing specific examples. For example, one would say "we need tough and fast players who can match up against the big, strong, dominate centers such as Getzlaf and Kopitar." It is just lazy, imprecise, communication to throw out examples and let the audience discern the generalities, the onus is on the communicator to do this.

I guess that depends on how ballsy you are feeling today.

Hey, more Detroit model rhetoric.

Looks at our lineup... Hmmm... Not resembling Detroit's ability with prospects. At all.

But I guess we can use the rhetoric. Yay rhetoric.

We had Bo playing last year and making a big impact, brought in Kennins from Europe, who made a impact and are growing our prospect pool with solid late round 1st choices and diamonds in the rough later round picks (Subban). Not even mentioning the fact there's a VERY good chance there will be AT LEAST one good young player fighting for a full time position in virt, Gaunce, or Hunter.

You either have no idea how Detriot has been running this ship or you are simply just in a bad mood today. This is exactly how Detriot has been building their team, and has been for so many years. They have had LITTERALLY the best scounting in the NHL for 20 years of course their pool is going to look better then ours. We have had some of the worst scouting in the last half dozen before Benning.

if benning truly believes this current club is a "100 point" "playoff contender"

he is delusional.( the new mac-t)

i get that he has to say the right things to sell tickets but come on at least be realistic. this club is at best with its current roster a 9th place wild card bubble team and they will be very lucky to be that.

"prust is more consistent than kassian" he sure is, he consistently doesn't score and he will be a consistent 4th liner with no skills or upside to move up in the line up.

"sutter will bridge the gap from the older to the younger", at 3 times what bonino cost with less offense and a whole year younger (than bones) which doesn't include the young d man included in the deal.

he's got hotdogs and he's trying to sell it as steak.

he should have just focused on the future and i think alot more fans would be able to accept the short term pains for the long term gains but when the guy just striaght up lies its hard to trust anything he says.

if benning truly believes this current club is a "100 point" "playoff contender"

he is delusional.( the new mac-t)

i get that he has to say the right things to sell tickets but come on at least be realistic. this club is at best with its current roster a 9th place wild card bubble team and they will be very lucky to be that.

"prust is more consistent than kassian" he sure is, he consistently doesn't score and he will be a consistent 4th liner with no skills or upside to move up in the line up.

"sutter will bridge the gap from the older to the younger", at 3 times what bonino cost with less offense and a whole year younger (than bones) which doesn't include the young d man included in the deal.

he's got hotdogs and he's trying to sell it as steak.

he should have just focused on the future and i think alot more fans would be able to accept the short term pains for the long term gains but when the guy just striaght up lies its hard to trust anything he says.

The only way Benning could satisfy you is by trading the whole team for the 1976 Montreal Canadians... but gee-whiz Mate... perhaps hotdogs is all we'll ever have, Cause...

BEEF IS MORE EXPENSIVE THESE DAYS!!

We had Bo playing last year and making a big impact, brought in Kennins from Europe, who made a impact and are growing our prospect pool with solid late round 1st choices and diamonds in the rough later round picks (Subban). Not even mentioning the fact there's a VERY good chance there will be AT LEAST one good young player fighting for a full time position in virt, Gaunce, or Hunter.

You either have no idea how Detriot has been running this ship or you are simply just in a bad mood today. This is exactly how Detriot has been building their team, and has been for so many years. They have had LITTERALLY the best scounting in the NHL for 20 years of course their pool is going to look better then ours. We have had some of the worst scouting in the last half dozen before Benning.

Yeah, at what point do we actually look at Detroit's current lineup before making comparisons? It's literally filled with impact prospects in all positions. We have Bo, Virtanen, and rhetoric.

I think the best way to improve the Canucks would be to slash ticket prices.

Interesting suggestion. The we have 30,000 people wanting 20,000 tickets. So the Canucks do a draw? Many of the winners then resell their tickets for the market price which is pretty much what it is now.

Yeah, at what point do we actually look at Detroit's current lineup before making comparisons? It's literally filled with impact prospects in all positions. We have Bo, Virtanen, and rhetoric.

For the life of me I can't tell if you're attempting wit, or truly have no idea how to use that word in context. How's that word-a-day planner working out for you? It's a new system, by using a 'Detriot model' we don't compare ourselfs to Detriot, we compare to the team we were 2-3 years ago and see things are looking up. Rhetoric.

For the life of me I can't tell if you're attempting wit, or truly have no idea how to use that word in context. How's that word-a-day planner working out for you? It's a new system, by using a 'Detriot model' we don't compare ourselfs to Detriot, we compare to the team we were 2-3 years ago and see things are looking up. Rhetoric.

Son, I'm referring to the 'Detroit model' rhetoric this team has been using since the pre-start of the Gillis era. Almost 10 years ago. Since then we've seen plenty of, well, mediocrity when it comes to drafting and player development. That's a freakin' long time to be saying the same crap as a positive when the results have been dick.

Son, I'm referring to the 'Detroit model' rhetoric this team has been using since the pre-start of the Gillis era. Almost 10 years ago. Since then we've seen plenty of, well, mediocrity when it comes to drafting and player development. That's a freakin' long time to be saying the same crap as a positive when the results have been dick.

1311763499070.jpg

The Red Wings have owned and managed their own farm team for over 40 years.

To say that we're following the Red Wings model means nothing without our own farm team. We're only in the third year of that process now.

I think most people understand that is his point. It is just a subpar, dare I say poor, form of communication. It is just a turn of phrase that has spread throughout the hockey world. The "correct" way to communicated this thought would be to first describie the general traits of these players and then citing specific examples. For example, one would say "we need tough and fast players who can match up against the big, strong, dominate centers such as Getzlaf and Kopitar." It is just lazy, imprecise, communication to throw out examples and let the audience discern the generalities, the onus is on the communicator to do this.

How about when it's listed in an article as "...the Kopitar's and Getzlaf's..."???

That drives me insane.

As for the OP, I am extremely excited to see a team that plays hard every shift and puts in effort. It will lead to more exciting hockey (more hits??) in my opinion.

I was at the youngstars game today vs. Winnipeg, Virtanen was quite dominant. I can see him making the big squad this year.

Obviously I've only seen the live stream of the game and not actually been there. But from what I saw I think Virtanen and Gaunce are the two who have really stood out from the others and both look pretty ready to make the next step.

Benning knows that there's wishful thinking, fantasy, dreams and the (Demons) Logic, Reality, Patience and Hard Work... OH NO!!!

If you compare the salaries of our Twins and say, the salaries of Getzlaf and Perry, you'll notice that next season they'll be paided $19.25 M... a savings of $5.25 M next to Hank's and Dan's $14 M... WOW!!

We get the boys for far less than the Ducks get their Heroes for, Smart Eh!?!?!?

But wait, how come we never got a Right Winger for them who not only could play with them, but was also better than them, because he could do what the pair on the Duck Pond can do, play with anyone.

Now this never happened because of the Faith they had in Roberto Luongo. They believed that the now panther was what would put them over the top, but damn, even he needed the help of a star player who could... "SCORE"

The Sedins are class acts all the way, they never demanded more money while proving on and off the ice what Great Canucks they have and forever will be. They'll always know who they are and what they're capable of doing and don't kid yourself, so does Management.

But I bet you anything that in 2011... they honestly wished for a "Clutch Right-Winger" to pass to in the Final.

Look closely.

I questioned the Detroit model a couple of years ago. But it takes years, and years, and years to establish. To a degree I still have questions. But was more or less proven an idiot for blanket doubting the process. The ''young'' players on last years Detroit roster;

Joakim Andersson drafted 2007 round 3

Tomas Jurco drafted 2011 round 2

Gustav Nyquist drafted 2008 round 4

Riley Sheahan drafted 2010 round 1

Thomas Tatar drafted 2009 round 2

Brendan Smith 2007 round 1

Petr Mrazek drafted 2010 round 5

All of these guys only became NHL regulars in the last 2 years. Xavier Ouellet & Alexei Marchenko, both still drafted 2011 BTW, appeared ready last year. But still played fundamentally the whole year in Grand Rapids. And may again? There is currently zero regulars on their team drafted 2012 or later. You tell me whether its Detroit's system of development?

Or Babcock just refused to play rookies? 2 years ago, because nobody drafted before 2009 had made the squad I questioned if Detroit actually ''developed'' players. Then when they needed them, guys like Nyquist, Sheahan & tatar, this year Mrazek became impact players. I was proven wrong. They simply waited until guys were ready to knock a veteran off the roster before they actually gave them a spot.

Detroit then did not have to go out and buy a new team UFA when attrition appeared finally to be dismantling. Or suffer years of middling below the play off threshold. I would not be surprised in the slightest, even post Babcock, if we still don't see even uber talents like Mantha or Larkin for a year or three?

In any case;

On this timeline its only now or next year we can, or should start to see an emergence from prospects like Brendan Gaunce. And we should not be alarmed that Jensen has yet to surface. Next year Shinkaruk. Some of Detroits draftee's were similar skinny kids with gobs of talent. It just took them that 4 to 6 years. Either to learn defence, or put on weight. Improve their sense of how to move the puck or when to shoot. How to exist if you could not beat a guy wide? There is no reason to panic. Something I am just learning. Just because there are issues, which a prospect CAN resolve, does not mean we wont see them in Canucks jersey in 2016. Or 2017...

To get continuity through that type of patience takes generations to put in place.

DeNiro's point is salient. We have only had our own farm team for 3 years with which to start working on a Detroit system!

Archived