The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bennings List of 7

Crabcakes

You`d like to think Vey will get a serious look on the wing before he`s waived, as Jordan Schroeder should have.

I can see him getting a serious look at 2C again with Baertschi and Vrbata on his wings. That would be if he can't cut it at 4C, which seems likely at this stage. I would be as outraged as anyone else if this happened, but I can see it happening.

No way brisebois is on this imaginary list

He's a long term project

Surprised no one mentioned labate

Big kid who played his role

Potential 4th line player or Kenins injury call up

Other than Subban, briesbois was the steadiest dman for the Nucks in that tourney. Hutton looked great offensively, but needs some work on defending.

Because if he's not part of the future he needs to be at least traded for a young D-man. He needs exposure for that to be possible, otherwise we threw away a second for nothing.

There's no rush for Gaunce and Cassels. Both of them can spend a couple years in Utica.

You are 100% correct.

But Benning has a track record of cutting guys loose, for less than a preferred return. If he's planning on going in a different direction;

Garrison

Jordan Schroeder

Lack

Kassian

Bieksa

cough, Seguin, cough

To me Benning is a black & white guy. Whether we agree, or not? He see's it as someone won his spot. Simple as that.

If someone won his spot; Benning would take what he could get on short notice with Vey. He see's that as more important...

But Benning has a track record of cutting guys loose, for less than a preferred return. If he's planning on going in a different direction;

Completely subjective and in opposition to reality.

To me Benning is a black & white guy. Whether we agree, or not? He see's it as someone won his spot. Simple as that.

If someone won his spot; Benning would take what he could get on short notice with Vey. He see's that as more important...

More like it.

If you have a losing stock or one you want to dispose of, do you hang on and try to milk a few more dollars out of it, hoping maybe it'll rebound or have a quick spike up? No -- you make your move, and use that return to get the assets that you want right now. Time is money, especially if you have an unproductive, unwanted, or unneeded asset.

Virt is probbalbly the only one who has a chance to make the team, we'll find out what happens after his 9 games in the NHL. I think it would be best not to rush him. He will most likely end up spending one more year in the juniors. Too bad he can't get sent to Utica this year.

All others need at least one year and likely couple of years more development time before making the jump.

Kenins, Grenier, and Gaunce all have just as good if not a better chance of making it IMO.

I did find it interesting that Virtanen was there for media availability though. That's usually just reserved for the vets.

Bo wasn't part of it last year, and in fact I can't ever recall a rookie who hasn't even made the roster yet taking part in it. Perhaps it's already a foregone conclusion that he'll be on the team.

More like it.

If you have a losing stock or one you want to dispose of, do you hang on and try to milk a few more dollars out of it, hoping maybe it'll rebound or have a quick spike up? No -- you make your move, and use that return to get the assets that you want right now. Time is money, especially if you have an unproductive, unwanted, or unneeded asset.

Of course its subjective. But still widely agreed, subjective as each of those opinions are, that the return was disappointing on those deals above? Read through the Lack, Kassian, Bieksa threads etc. Lots of people grumbled about the returns.

The reverse is also probably true though. I don't have a large sample, so its speculation. But I also doubt we see Benning make any sudden unexpected move; just because some GM calls up and offers some lure? Or jumps into a market for free agents outside plan. Linden was quoted as saying they did not have the intent of bringing in any of the PTO's. Even though suddenly there is a list of good free agents at lowball prices. He already has a plan to leave a certain amount of space on the team, so young guys can compete for jobs. Linden said as much. These guys have their plan and don't let the market sway them from it.

Black & White. Let the guys compete for a job. Its not a bad thing either.

I bet Vey gets waived/ traded by the end of camp.

But who is going to beat him out?

I bet Vey gets an honest chance. We are strong up the middle with Hank, Bo, Sutter. However, not deep. No one else on our roster is an established NHL centre. We might even be vulnerable if one of the top 3 gets injured?

Who are the choices? I was never happy when we dabbled using Higgins or Burrows in the past. Gaunce has been converted to wing. Blair Jones will be in camp. He's probably quite capable of playing 4th line pivot. Might even be more suited to it than Vey? Would we be better off if suddenly we needed someone to play between Baertschi & Vrbata? I don't think so. We simply need Vey, who is the most talented guy, to take on the game and gets stronger as was asked!

In that context, another point comes to mind. Maybe McCann or Cassels will also be given a very honest crack at making the roster?

Of course its subjective. But still widely agreed, subjective as each of those opinions are, that the return was disappointing on those deals above? Read through the Lack, Kassian, Bieksa threads etc. Lots of people grumbled about the returns.

Completely subjective and in opposition to reality. Also, the fallacy of appeal to popular belief, and on CDC that is not a particularly good thing, especially when those same people are the ones who openly admit to being baffled and having no understanding of what's going on.

And yes, this very thing has been gone over many times, but the narrative won't go away because some people actually continue to believe it to be true.

Completely subjective and in opposition to reality. Also, the fallacy of appeal to popular belief, and on CDC that is not a particularly good thing, especially when those same people are the ones who openly admit to being baffled and having no understanding of what's going on.

And yes, this very thing has been gone over many times, but the narrative won't go away because some people actually continue to believe it to be true.

Who's reality? :wacko: I don't think you should be painting everyone as wrong. Yours an absolute truth and not subjective.

And what reality?

I am proposing Benning looked past getting the best return because he had particular objectives. Consensus was we needed max rebuilding assets. But Kassian was traded for 30 plus Prust with a year on his contract. It was reported he stood ground when hung out to dry by San Jose on Bieksa. Then ended with a lower pick, albeit a year earlier with Anaheim. Time will tell if Bennings objectives will be beneficial. They are and were controversial to a point. We'll see how he does.

It certainly remain debateable, whether he is obtaining the best possible return.

Or what are u suggesting?

Who's reality? :wacko: I don't think you should be painting everyone as wrong. Yours an absolute truth and not subjective.

And what reality?

I am proposing Benning looked past getting the best return because he had particular objectives. Consensus was we needed max rebuilding assets. But Kassian was traded for 30 plus Prust with a year on his contract. It was reported he stood ground when hung out to dry by San Jose on Bieksa. Then ended with a lower pick, albeit a year earlier with Anaheim. Time will tell if Bennings objectives will be beneficial. They are and were controversial to a point. We'll see how he does.

It certainly remain debateable, whether he is obtaining the best possible return.

Or what are u suggesting?

Here's an easy example:

Benning had ONE offer for Eddie Lack, and made the deal. Are you suggesting he didn't get enough back? And if so, what should he have gotten and how exactly do you maintain that he could have got that value, when there was but ONE offer on the table? In whatever YOUR estimation of Lack was, how do you explain that such value was obviously not there in the market, yet yours is still the correct valuation?

The fact of the matter is, Benning got market value for his assets, but it seems that some do not understand how markets work. If you disagree, then please explain how Benning did not get market value on his trades, and how you know this. Please explain how YOUR perception of value of assets differs from the 30 GMs of the NHL. It may be just your opinion, but if you do not have anything of substance to support it, then you need to be prepared to concede that is is wrong, according to the reality of the market. I thought Kassian was worth more... but I was obviously wrong.

Anyone have an advanced stats link I can look at for brendan gaunce, i googled hard and came up short. Lol

I think he is the most nhl ready of our prospects based off of the hockey iv seen but I'd love to have a closer look.

chlstats.pythonanywhere.com

His possession stats are pretty underwhelming (though best on the Bulls by a mile). His story is more compelling when you look at how hard his deployment was. He handled difficult minutes very well, while producing. Primarily he was brought in by the Otters to be their version of Jared McCann. Then Fox-McDavid-Brown had space rip up the easier lines, which they did.

He didn't put him McCann's offensive numbers in his draft +1 though, mostly because his skating wasn't great until last year. But I would bet Gaunce sees a lesser drop-off in effectiveness between leagues than McCann does. Just a wicked smart kid, hard worker and he's got that same quality of playing a pro game that allowed Horvat to make the Canucks last year.

chlstats.pythonanywhere.com

His possession stats are pretty underwhelming (though best on the Bulls by a mile). His story is more compelling when you look at how hard his deployment was. He handled difficult minutes very well, while producing. Primarily he was brought in by the Otters to be their version of Jared McCann. Then Fox-McDavid-Brown had space rip up the easier lines, which they did.

He didn't put him McCann's offensive numbers in his draft +1 though, mostly because his skating wasn't great until last year. But I would bet Gaunce sees a lesser drop-off in effectiveness between leagues than McCann does. Just a wicked smart kid, hard worker and he's got that same quality of playing a pro game that allowed Horvat to make the Canucks last year.

Thinking more about his ahl stats from last year.

I love his game and can't wait to see him fight for a spot

More like it.

Agreed, you do that you end up like Lombardi with Mike Richards :s

On Gaunce, IMO he was the best player for the Canucks. I think his AHL stats was subpar until the latter part of the season / playoffs where he picked it up and showed up.

Pumped to see how him and Grenier do this camp, actual development progression is exciting!

Archived