The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Prospect Placement Prediction 2015-16 [Discussion]

Okay. We're all fired up about our unbelievably sweet prospects. I want to guess where they end up this year. (Sorry in advance Elvis).

I haven't looked anything up, I'm counting on you guys to do all that. This is off the top of my head, based on almost no information (I've never followed junior in depth). So please, flame away. Bring some rage, I won't counter-post you.

Virtanen - Big team - starts in pressbox, plays a 62 game season

Subban / Hutton - top pairing Utica

McEneny - Utica

Shinkaruk - top line Utica - great year -no call-up

Brisebois - Junior

Cederholm - Kalamazoo

Neill - Kalamazoo/Utica - Comes up after injuries

Sautner - Kalamazoo/Utica - makes the team by spring

Abols - I am curious here. He looks okay. Do we need two of these guys?

Cassels - Utica 3rd C

Fox - Utica top 6 - way better looking than I thought. 2 pts Desi.

Gardiner - Utica - 2 game call-up

Gaunce -Utica top line - 2 6-10 game call-ups in new year

Labate - Utica terrier

McCann - Junior / Utica playoffs

Stewart - Kalamazoo

Zalewski - Utica

Zhuke - Junior obviously

Not exactly controversial. I am curious what people think.

IMO overvaluing some guys just a bit.

Subban/Hutton won't play first pairing in their first pro year and I'm confident in that. Don't think they'll be anywhere close to first pairing in fact. Rarely see that happen, especially with a good team down in Utica.

Fox I'm not sure will play top 6 in Utica. Bottom 6 and even Kalamazoo sounds a bit more realistic to me.

Gaunce as much as I like him, don't think will play first line. If he doesn't make the team, 2nd/3rd line is likely. Just isn't first line material IMO, wouldn't wanna have him as a first line winger if I were Travis Green, not very intimidating.

Shink top 6. Not a first line lock though. Would hope and think that he's 1LW

Cassels 3C I could see, but I think Jones, Frieson, and Hamiton will be ahead of him in his first year.

Good list though!

I think Virtanen might get the 9 games and then be sent down, not sure if Benning wants to burn a year. He does look physically ready however.

Also you should give Desiboy 2 points for hyping up Dane Fox, he has been on the Fox bandwagon for a while now lol

I think he should be sent down, but Benning being the egotistical guy he is will probs keep him for the season because he's his first draft pick as GM.

IMO overvaluing some guys just a bit.

Subban/Hutton won't play first pairing in their first pro year and I'm confident in that. Don't think they'll be anywhere close to first pairing in fact. Rarely see that happen, especially with a good team down in Utica.

Fox I'm not sure will play top 6 in Utica. Bottom 6 and even Kalamazoo sounds a bit more realistic to me.

Gaunce as much as I like him, don't think will play first line. If he doesn't make the team, 2nd/3rd line is likely. Just isn't first line material IMO, wouldn't wanna have him as a first line winger if I were Travis Green, not very intimidating.

Shink top 6. Not a first line lock though. Would hope and think that he's 1LW

Cassels 3C I could see, but I think Jones, Frieson, and Hamiton will be ahead of him in his first year.

Good list though!

Hmm. You bring up good points. I'd probably agree with all you said.

I'm not sure if Kalamazoo is affilated with the Canucks anymore. I read somewhere that the affiliation has been cut off because ECHL rules state an ECHL team may only have one NHL affilation and right now the Wings are associated with the Columbus Blue Jackets. If that's true (and it is), that means the Canucks don't have an ECHL affiliation which means any players sent to the ECHL will likely be scattered between the Alaska Aces and Colorado Eagles which, I believe, don't have NHL affilations nailed down yet. (An affilation with Alaska would make sense with Vancouver due to approximity compared to other NHL teams, although the distance between Anchorage and Utica is outrageous).

Reid Gardiner needs to be signed to a contract. He's currently playing with the Canucks via a tryout. Based on what I've seen, I'm not sure he'll get a contract. Maybe an AHL deal but no NHL deal. If anybody is getting an NHL deal out of this tourney, it'll be Jackson Whistle, who deserves an entry level deal. Abols would've been a smarter pick in the 7th round over Tate Olson, truth be told.

By the way, my prediction is that Jackson Whistle gets an entry level deal and challenges Joe Cannata for the role of backup in Utica. If Whistle fails to get the job, he's sent back to the Rockets for his overage season. If he gets it, he's assigned to Utica.

Dane Fox will be in Utica this year, I feel like. He's really improved and his time in Kalamazoo has really done him wonders. He's actually got a shot at climbing the depth chart this year.

Hunter Shinkaruk, I suspect, may get a few games in the big club this season. How many? I'm thinking maybe 5 tops but he may not get any at all. I think he's been making some great strides and I'm excited for his future as part of the Canucks.

Evan McEney will start down in the ECHL most likely.

Mackenze Stewart will be shoehorned onto the 4th line in Utica. Benning is high on the kid and will give him a chance to succeed at the AHL level before demoting (or potentially promoting him).

Ashton Sautner starts in the AHL but may find himself down in the ECHL at some point in the season.

Brendan Gaunce is called up after Grenier but before Friesen and Shinkaruk.

Anton Cederholm starts in the ECHL before moving up to AHL by end of the season.

Ben Hutton starts in AHL, gets an NHL callup before the end of the season. Same goes for Jordan Subban.

Jared McCann gets a 9 game tryout alongside Virtanen after an injury at camp. McCann gets demoted to junior after the nine games, Virtanen sticks with the big club.

Cam Neill is sent back to junior.

Joseph Labate stays in AHL all season. Has unremarkable but solid season.

Rodrigo Abols has a good season in Portland. Canucks take chance on drafting him in the 6th or 7th round of next year's draft to ensure they get his rights. (Sort of like what the Washington Capitals did to make sure they got Nathan Walker a few years back).

And yeah, those are my predictions based on your predictions.

Virtanen - Big team - starts in pressbox, plays a 62 game season ​Stays till Christmas at least

Subban / Hutton - top pairing Utica Call-up if injuries

McEneny - Utica

Shinkaruk - top line Utica - great year -no call-up Call up but gets the Jensen treatment unless there's injuries

Brisebois - Junior

Cederholm - Kalamazoo Utica call-up

Neill - Kalamazoo/Utica - Comes up after injuries Junior, Utica playoffs

Sautner - Kalamazoo/Utica - makes the team by spring Utica

Cassels - Utica 3rd C

Fox - Utica top 6 - way better looking than I thought. 2 pts Desi. Top 9 Utica

Gardiner - Utica - 2 game call-up Utica contract. Curtis Valk treatment

Gaunce -Utica top line - 2 6-10 game call-ups in new year Makes NHL

Labate - Utica terrier

Pedan - Makes NHL off the hop

Stewart - Kalamazoo Utica call-up

Zalewski - Utica Doesn't even play for us anymore (Utica contract)

Zhuke - Junior obviously Utica playoffs

I'm not sure if Kalamazoo is affilated with the Canucks anymore. I read somewhere that the affiliation has been cut off because ECHL rules state an ECHL team may only have one NHL affilation and right now the Wings are associated with the Columbus Blue Jackets. If that's true (and it is), that means the Canucks don't have an ECHL affiliation which means any players sent to the ECHL will likely be scattered between the Alaska Aces and Colorado Eagles which, I believe, don't have NHL affilations nailed down yet. (An affilation with Alaska would make sense with Vancouver due to approximity compared to other NHL teams, although the distance between Anchorage and Utica is outrageous).

[...]

No longer affiliated because Vancouver had a one year deal while CBJ had a two year deal. Instead of affiliating themselves with the Alaska Aces or Colorado Eagles, they might prefer to conclude an unofficial affiliation like the Devils who will be sending players to the Flames ECHL team in Adirondack. Florida also went down the unofficial affiliation path and will be sending players to the Kings ECHL affiliate in Manchester.

Arrangements haven't been announced yet and it may well be that they will just continue with Kalamazoo or they could also try and find an arrangement with a team closer to Utica.

Won't Virt burn a year anyways? Because he was signed last year won't he will be an RFA 3 years from now whether he plays 9 games or 82.

He signed as an 18 year old so his contract can slide twice (for year 18 and year 19) if he doesn't play 9 NHL games.

Shinkaruk for example hasn't played in the NHL last year so his contract was able to slide again and he will only be RFA in 3 years despite already having one year in the AHL.

Okay. We're all fired up about our unbelievably sweet prospects. I want to guess where they end up this year. (Sorry in advance Elvis).

I haven't looked anything up, I'm counting on you guys to do all that. This is off the top of my head, based on almost no information (I've never followed junior in depth). So please, flame away. Bring some rage, I won't counter-post you.

Virtanen - Big team - starts in pressbox, plays a 62 game season

McEneny - Utica

Shinkaruk - top line Utica - great year -no call-up

Brisebois - Junior

Cederholm - Kalamazoo

Neill - Kalamazoo/Utica - Comes up after injuries

Sautner - Kalamazoo/Utica - makes the team by spring

Cassels - Utica 3rd C

Fox - Utica top 6 - way better looking than I thought. 2 pts Desi.

Gardiner - Utica - 2 game call-up

Gaunce -Utica top line - 2 6-10 game call-ups in new year

Labate - Utica terrier

Stewart - Kalamazoo

Zalewski - Utica

Zhuke - Junior obviously

I agree except for Virtanen who will make the team and only have a few games in the press box and none to start the season.

Gardiner isn't signed and won't make it to Utica.

Abols will get signed as soon as we can, which I think is next spring.

Cassels will be on the top line in Utica by mid season.

I think Virtanen might get the 9 games and then be sent down, not sure if Benning wants to burn a year. He does look physically ready however.

Also you should give Desiboy 2 points for hyping up Dane Fox, he has been on the Fox bandwagon for a while now lol

Physically ready is all you need IMO. Every guy who makes it has the skill level to succeed as long as they played in a role that suits their game. You can adjust your play at the NHL level with effective coaching too. Horvat was physically ready to play last year but it took some time for his game to follow.

Virtanen - 9 game audition plays on team canada st xmas

McEneny - Utica

Shinkaruk - call up if canucks injured will rip it up on comets

Brisebois - Junior

Cederholm - Utica

Sautner utica

Abols - zoo

Cassels - Utica 2line c

Fox - Utica top 9

Gaunce - beats vey ot of job 4th liner in canucks

Labate - Utica

Stewart - Utica

Zhuke - Junior obviously

grenier call up canucks

jensen traded a month into season

Virtanen - 9 game audition plays on team canada st xmas

McEneny - Utica

Shinkaruk - call up if canucks injured will rip it up on comets

Brisebois - Junior

Cederholm - Utica

Sautner utica

Abols - zoo

Cassels - Utica 2line c

Fox - Utica top 9

Gaunce - beats vey ot of job 4th liner in canucks

Labate - Utica

Stewart - Utica

Zhuke - Junior obviously

grenier call up canucks

jensen traded a month into season

Archived