The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

PK Subban making $10m donation to Montreal Children's Hospital

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/p-k-subban-10-million-donation-montreal-childrens-hospital-canadiens-elise-jean-beliveau/

P.K. Subban has made what Montreal Children's Hospital is calling "the biggest philanthropic commitment by a sports figure in Canadian history."

The star defenceman for the Montreal Canadiens will donate $10 million minimum to the hospital, according to a press release.

Subban is also making a commitment to raise funds for the hospital for seven years as a spokesman.

As a thank-you, the hospital named its three-storey atrium in honour of Subban Wednesday morning.

@KellyGreig:

Marie-Josee Gariepy, Montreal Children Hospital Foundation, says @PKSubban1 will be donating $10 mil over 7 years

@KellyGreig:

Describes it as the biggest donation ever given by a sports personality in the hospital's history

"P.K. is a person of character, who strives for success, always working at new ways to stay on top of his game and he understands the value of teamwork," Martine Alfonso, associate executive director of the hospital said in a release. "He is an outstanding role model for our patients."

The 26-year-old Subban will be joined at the event by Élise Béliveau, wife of late Canadiens legend Jean Béliveau.

Subban's generous gift eclipses his NHL salary this upcoming season, which is $7 million. He is entering the second season of an eight-year contract with the Canadiens that will pay him a total of $72 million.

@alvarogomez1978:

@PKSubban1 Thanks PK for bringing joy to Jayden, u dont know how much it meens to him. #pkmysonshero

@HopitalChildren:

Michel Lacroix, announcer for @CanadiensMTL and Élise Béliveau, widow of Jean Béliveau, are here for a special announcement.

@KevMio:

Staff and patients line the corridors overlooking the @PKSubban1 atrium ahead of announcement at @HopitalChildren

Wow, hats off to PK. Don't know how people can hate him. His heart is bigger than his talent and he has a lot of talent. Massive donation which will go a long ways for the Montreal community. Good guy PK.

When my boy was six days old he was rushed to a Childrens Hospital for emergency open-heart surgery and his little life was saved.

There's not much in the world that I respect more than donating to Childrens Hospitals.

Ha this. Had 2 open heats in childrens and one in st pauls.

Childrens is the first place ill be donating to.

When my boy was six days old he was rushed to a Childrens Hospital for emergency open-heart surgery and his little life was saved.

There's not much in the world that I respect more than donating to Childrens Hospitals.

Very fortunate and happy for your family.

I honestly hold surgeons/doctors/physio's/nurses/etc to the highest of standards. Whenever I meet them, I will always give them a 'thank you' and I 100% mean it. They are the modern day Gods and Goddesses. Rewind 100 years ago, them doing what they do then, people would be praying to them. How far Science and Technology has come is just awing. To know the map of the human body, know how to act to help save a life is just amazing.

...I have always had a soft spot for Children's Hospitals myself having had a surgery/treatment when I was smaller.

Ha this. Had 2 open heats in childrens and one in st pauls.

Childrens is the first place ill be donating to.

Very fortunate and happy for your family.

I honestly hold surgeons/doctors/physio's/nurses/etc to the highest of standards. Whenever I meet them, I will always give them a 'thank you' and I 100% mean it. They are the modern day Gods and Goddesses. Rewind 100 years ago, them doing what they do then, people would be praying to them. How far Scientology has come is just awing. To know the map of the human body, know how to act to help save a life is just amazing.

...I have always had a soft spot for Children's Hospitals myself having had a surgery/treatment when I was smaller.

Yup, these people do a lot of good for a lot of us.

I think it's easy to believe we would all be very generous if we had copious amounts of cash, but reality is that life tends to always cost as much money as we have (whether poor or rich)...big respect to PK for being generous with much and to all those who are generous with little.

Archived