The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ryan Miller finally 100%, ready for season (NHL.com article)

Sedin Brothers

It's hard to quantify a goalie's value but one (very simplistic) way to see it is to take a step back as a home team supporter and see it from an outside POV. When fans from other teams watch a game against us and start saying things like, "damn I wish we had ______ on our team", that's a sign that you have a solid netminder IMO.

Schneider was like that at the time he was traded. Luongo was like that (but his contract sucked). Lack wasn't quite at that level yet but could still become like that.

I hope Miller can play at that level this season.

It's hard to quantify a goalie's value but one (very simplistic) way to see it is to take a step back as a home team supporter and see it from an outside POV. When fans from other teams watch a game against us and start saying things like, "damn I wish we had ______ on our team", that's a sign that you have a solid netminder IMO.

Schneider was like that at the time he was traded. Luongo was like that (but his contract sucked). Lack wasn't quite at that level yet but could still become like that.

I hope Miller can play at that level this season.

As much as I liked Eddie, I dont recall tgat ever happening. Maybe as "i wish we had a backup like Lack".

More on Miller's preparations and readiness, from today's Province newspaper:

Ryan Miller should be more comfortable with his technique

The idea last season was that Miller would incorporate some changes to modernize his technique early in the season and by the time the playoffs rolled around he would be hitting a sweet spot.

Of course, that never happened because of the injury.

In theory, it should mean this year he reaps some of the rewards from all the between-game work he put in last year.

"I felt like last year I put Reverse-VH into a few situations where it didn't work and I got burned, Miller said.

"My traditional reads probably would have been better.

"There are situations where (Reverse-VH) is great. I just have to be better in selection.

"It's really about experimenting with selection and timing. That's how you stay current.

"But you also have to be true to yourself. If you change too much of your depth or the way you set up certain plays, your read of where the puck comes off sticks has changed.

"You're in a different place in the net. You have to select different saves.

"You have to find what works for you while still playing to your strengths."

One of those strengths is his aggressiveness, something he's not eager to sacrifice to get deeper into his net.

"In certain situations, I shouldn't be backing off and making saves. I need to hold to my strengths.

"For me, I need to be in the play, make guys change their mind and make guys miss.

"That's where Im a better goaltender.

"If I'm waiting on the play a lot and I'm not dictating where it's going, I get in situations where they get what they want."

http://blogs.theprovince.com/2015/09/18/canucks-training-camp-what-we-learned-about-willies-lines-millers-technique-and-henriks-apparent-forgiveness/

EDIT: For anyone unfamiliar with the Reverse-VH technique, here's an article that explains it pretty well: http://ingoalmag.com/news/stars-goalie-coach-mike-valley-teaches-ingoal-the-reverse-vh/

I think that Benning has a plan and he sometimes overpays to make it happen (in terms of salary or assets given up in a trade).

I don't think that Benning has an agenda that he's not telling us about. He's a very smart man, he's just not complicated. If there is a fault with him it's that he will respond to a direct question with the truth too readily and say too much.

I agree. Benning has been quite open with his agenda, I just don't agree with it. He could have potentially traded Miller and didn't, despite the fact that he had 2 other goalies who had good seasons respectively. The Canucks could have done more to improve the team with the room created by moving Miller's salary.

If he want's Miller as his number one, it's for the reason he said. He likes to have a veteran who the team can rely on so that a young defense can develop. He prefers this type of a veteran paired with a younger developing back up who will one day take over starting duties.

By the time a new crop of defensemen are ready, Miller will be long gone. Most of the Canucks D are between the ages of 25-29. So unless there's a huge blockbuster trade, you will have veteran defensemen for the foreseeable future.

See for yourself.

Regular Season GP:

Hamhuis 814 (and still just turning 33!)

The rest are all under the age of 30.

Edler 568

Sbisa 342

Weber 229

Tanev 226

Bartkowski 131

It would make more sense to me to have a goaltender around the same age to play with them.

Also , I don't buy this 'mentoring' crap. You know how an NHL goaltender gets better? By playing him. 20 games a year isn't going to do anything for Markstrom's development.

Lack was on his way, he had 41 games of experience each of the last two seasons. The only way Markstrom gets anywhere near that is if Miller blows out his knee again.

Benning likes Markstrom over Lack because he's younger (and fit's his model better) and because he thinks he is mentally stronger (based on last years Utica play off run).

That's what Benning thinks. I reserve judgement myself. Lack has a great work ethic (he was working on his puck tracking 4 days after the Canucks were eliminated last season) and he bounces back with good games after poor games so he's mentally tough too. It remains to be seen whether Benning made the best decision by trading Lack. But to suggest that he's making decisions for reasons other than the best interest of the Canucks is dead wrong.

The decision had little to do with Markstrom. Benning has made it clear that it's Miller's team. The major reason, and I will stress it one more time, is that trading Lack eliminates any 'controversy' should Miller falter.

The stupid part about all of this is that with LA, Calgary, Anaheim and yes even Edmonton in the mix, Vancouver's chances of repeating their previous point total has decreased. Even if you argue that Miller is the better goaltender (which might be true) the difference between Lack and Miller's salary doesn't reflect the difference in quality.

Not to mention, Miller's 35. There aren't many older starters left in the NHL, all the other teams are relying on younger talent. Exceptions are Luongo (who the Canucks chose to trade) and Lundqvist, who is also great in his own right, but sits behind a superior defense.

I have seen enough hockey to know that goalies tend to trend downwards quickly after 35, especially after a major injury. Grant Fuhr and Mike Richter both had knee injuries in their 30's that slowed them immensely. It would have been healthier and more cap friendly to have Lack/Markstrom fight for the top job, but here in Vancouver, the young goalies have a habit of getting traded first.

I got over losing Schneider as Horvat is a great player, but I will say it again: The Lack deal was terrible and it stunk to high heaven. The Canucks got hosed.

If Tuesday was Miller at 100% then let's prepare for a high end draft pick. But really, I'm not prepared to drop a fortune to buy a ticket and watch a mediocre team squeak into the playoffs and then lose. Starting with guys like Miller, NHLers, like most pro sports athletes, are terribly overpaid.

The guy NEEDS to play at a very high level. His personality is white bread-boring. He has the misfortune of following three very colourful, & likeable(to varying degrees) personalities. All pretty good 'tenders too.

Really curious how the gt situation will be handled. Should Markstrom outplay Miller, will it be the same as last season?

If Tuesday was Miller at 100% then let's prepare for a high end draft pick. But really, I'm not prepared to drop a fortune to buy a ticket and watch a mediocre team squeak into the playoffs and then lose. Starting with guys like Miller, NHLers, like most pro sports athletes, are terribly overpaid.

I remember luongo in his 1st few pre season games he was not very good.mand this was a regular occurrence.

Archived