The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen's Direction

Zack's Teeth

I know there has been a ton of talk around our prospects now that we have something to watch/comment on over the last week, but surprisingly not much has been said regarding Virtanen's direction.

A few have said they're worried about injury with him (again) which is valid, I just want to expand on that. No doubt we knew he had a mean streak in him on draft day but it seemed to be a compliment to his main dish (offense), if you will.

But as I see him progress, its more and more about getting a big hit in each shift rather than using his offensive talent. Not to say that he doesn't, just making a point that his focus is changing. I leave this not up to the player to fix, but the coach's, to identify and correct bad habits. Crucial years of development are at this age for a prospect, further it need to come from the top down that "Hey, Do we want this Kid to be a grinder who produces on the 3rd line or an offensive force with an edge?".

Its clearly because I'm too invested in our team but god damn this scares me!!

For reference, watch the mic'd up video on CDC where our assistant his telling Jake to get his feet moving more so he can run at nurse... that's our top prospect your telling to go run another play like WTF!

Let me know what you guys think.

I don't know. What's the full context? Is there more?

maybe this is just my impression, but i get the sense that he may be saying that because nurse is a shifty fella and that if you want to hit him, you gotta move your feet more. Gotta get in there with speed not just with size.

I know Benning had talked about how Virtanen was moving his feet more to drive to the net and such.

But as I see him progress, its more and more about getting a big hit in each shift rather than using his offensive talent. Not to say that he doesn't, just making a point that his focus is changing. I leave this not up to the player to fix, but the coach's, to identify and correct bad habits. Crucial years of development are at this age for a prospect, further it need to come from the top down that "Hey, Do we want this Kid to be a grinder who produces on the 3rd line or an offensive force with an edge?".

Good question. I have been thinking the same thing. It looks like Jake is focusing on trying to make the team this year. If that happens it is likely to be as a bottom 6 grinder who provides toughness and plays a fast north-south game. Maybe he can develop from there into into a top 6 winger down the road with more offensive creativity.

The alternative is to go back to junior and focus more on offensive creativity and try to make the team next year as a top 6 RW (when Vrby will be gone and Burrows might move to the 3rd line). The problem is that Jake might be very successful playing a "junior game" and score a lot but he might pick up bad habits and have to change his game when he gets to the NHL.

It is not obvious which route is best as we have seen successes and failures on both paths. But I think it is clear Benning and Linden favor the first path -- show he can do something at the NHL level (bottom 6 winger) and then work on moving up.

I took the "move your feet" more as "if you coast you'll miss him". For sure I'd rather see him as a top 6 with an edge than a pin cushion grinder, but he likes to hit and he's really good at it.

In his prospects thread you can watch some huge hits the guy delivers on bigger dudes, that's what he's all about, keeps everyone on their toes and can burry the puck, a real beauty Canadian PWF.

I get not wanting him to be injured or be steered the wrong way in his focus, but I doubt TL and JB will want him to stifle his offensive talents for a few hits, if anything they'll be tempering him to be that top 6 PW he should be. I wouldn't worry man.

Edit- but even if he turns out to be a Raffi Torres, he'll be a Canuck.

Archived