The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Virtanen's Direction

Zack's Teeth

Are you guys talking about Jake?

Jake is way bigger, has a way better shot and plays a way heavier game then Burrows; they are both fiesty but that's about it for similarities for me.

I'm hoping for more of an Owen Nolan type guy.

Jasek may be more like a Burrows type player, undersized but tenacious...neither are fighters like Jake either.

Right, I was thinking more that he's fiesty and seems to have a great work ethic and desire. I see what you're saying though.

I'm a bit worried his physical play might produce a significant injury before he fills out at about 24.Players like Schenn and Brule got done right in trying to transfer their physical game early.Maybe Lucic on the other wing from him for a few years isn't such a bad idea.

exactly

Benning is on point.

He will build us a beauty.

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen will have me ponying up for full seasons for the next 5 years.

exactly

Benning is on point.

He will build us a beauty.

Lucic-Horvat-Virtanen will have me ponying up for full seasons for the next 5 years.

Wow! That would be a great line! I really want us to get Milan, so when Jake is ready for bigger minutes in the top six, he has Milan with him. Do you guys think Prust and Dorset will be able to play the minutes with Jake this season? I really don't want to see Jake out their with out serious backup.

Without the puck, his direction will be homed in on the opposition player who has it.

With the puck he'll take it hard to the net. I like how in both regards he goes all out, and I had the same worry as OP but at least from his showing during the tourney he's shown that he can hurt you a bunch of ways (aside from hits, he can also use power moves like his dekes and wrap-around's, as well as score on breakaways like he did against Calgary).

Of course his physical style will catch up to him down the road, but for now I'm glad that we have him as a player.

Does he have Perry's ability to drive the puck / handle the puck? (Honest Question!)

One thing I have always admired about Perry is he takes the game on. He does turn it over sometimes, driving the net and other efforts to make plays. But he is always trying to make plays. Including where he handles the puck driving through guys. Wills his way to the net! It works because he has puck skills, but also because he dominate physically many of the guys he challenges.

I'll take a wait and see if Jake can do that at the pro level? Notably handling the puck under pressure. But he appears both more powerful and faster. It not out of the realm of possibility...

Playing an NHL 4th line role and developing his skills with NHL caliber goalies and players in practice will be better for him than anything in Junior. Just because his hitting and tempo are what get him into the NHL first doesn't mean that's the only thing he'll ever be good at.

Archived