The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat as a top 6 winger?

Sedin Brothers

Before I get publicly ridiculed for making two threads in one day, I would like to point out that teams have experimented with putting a highly-valued talent on the wing merely to get them on the ice. Examples would be Jonny Drouin and Elias Lindholm both playing RW, despite both being natural C's.

This would help a lot. It would possibly put too many question marks on the 2nd line, but the third line would be pretty good. The only concern I have for the second line would be Horvat/Baert pairing - does it have enough experience to be effective? Maybe Burrows could fill that line?

Possible lines with this scenario:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Horvat-Suter-Burr/Baert

Burr/Baert-Vey-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen, Gaunce, Kenis?

Bye Higgins

Miller

Markstrom

Before I get publicly ridiculed for making two threads in one day

Please, no one would ever do that. VC would be the laughing stock of CDC by now if that were true.

I'd say no to Horvat being a Top 6 W, as no one else but Henrik can beat Crosby and Toews, and even then, it's iffy. Horvat's a stud centerman. I'd expect him to stay that way wherever he goes.

Please, no one would ever do that. VC would be the laughing stock of CDC by now if that were true.

I'd say no to Horvat being a Top 6 W, as no one else but Henrik can beat Crosby and Toews, and even then, it's iffy. Horvat's a stud centerman. I'd expect him to stay that way wherever he goes.

Not a half bad idea, but no, just because the kid is a wizard on the faceoff dot.

We suck at the Faceoff dot except for Horvat. You don't create offense by doubling down on your faults.

and...... Curtain thread

Before I get publicly ridiculed for making two threads in one day, I would like to point out that teams have experimented with putting a highly-valued talent on the wing merely to get them on the ice. Examples would be Jonny Drouin and Elias Lindholm both playing RW, despite both being natural C's.

This would help a lot. It would possibly put too many question marks on the 2nd line, but the third line would be pretty good. The only concern I have for the second line would be Horvat/Baert pairing - does it have enough experience to be effective? Maybe Burrows could fill that line?

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Horvat-Suter-Burr/Baert

Burr/Baert-Vey-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen, Gaunce, Kenis?

Bye Higgins

Miller

Markstrom

Oh! Oh! I know! Let's turn our prized future defensive star center into another forgotten winger.

Thank goodness Benning is in charge.

There are two players already repositioned: Gaunce and Stewart.

That is good enough.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Horvat-Suter-Burr/Baert

Burr/Baert-Vey-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen, Gaunce, Kenis?

Bye Higgins

Miller

Markstrom

I don't usually get angry at troll threads, but buddy- I hope you die. And if you're actually serious, please don't breed.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Horvat-Suter-Burr/Baert

Burr/Baert-Vey-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen, Gaunce, Kenis?

Bye Higgins

Miller

Markstrom

1. Presumably Horvat could play wing, but at this time the Canucks appear to be thinner at center than at LW. Vey and McCann COULD succeed this season at 3rd and 4th line centers (as they're set out in your lineup) but it would be a stretch to expect it. One is in his 2nd season and coming off a season where his pressbox time increased as the season progressed. It will be an advance for Vey to play 4th line center. McCann is still junior eligible and, while he's promising, it would be a big leap to expect him to play in the NHL this season.

Otoh, the Canucks have Virtanen, Gaunce and Grenier ready to fight Kenins for jobs on the wing-and that ignores both the fact that Vey also plays wing (some on CDC have suggested that's his better spot) and that Shinkaruk or Jenson could surprise and make the leap.

Based on the strengths and weaknesses of the organization, it seems silly to me to consider moving Horvat to wing at this time.

2. I haven't seen anything in Horvat's skillset to make me think he's more valuable to the team as a winger. Is there something I"m missing there?

3. "... teams have experimented with putting a highly-valued talent on the wing merely to get them on the ice."

It isn't necessary to shift Horvat to wing "merely to get <him> on the ice." He's already got a spot in the lineup at center.

Horvat doesn't need sheltering. He'll start at 3C and finish the season at 2C.....how's that for going out on a limb?

If Baertschi isn't ready for 2LW, then Higgins will play there until he is. Baer said today that he is fine with playing where ever Willie wants him to play. So much for the prima donna theory.

Higgins, Hansen and Burrows are useful players for the transition period because they can play up and down the line up and are happy to. They need guys who can do that.

In case of injury at centre, there is Jones, Cassels, Friesen available for call up

At least he didn't suggest trading the Sedins. Chill out bruv, it could be worse

It could be worse, you're right: Move Horvat to LD, his first pass is so clean.

And the post you quoted seems to have vanished? My tablet sucks, yes, but it doesn't have the ability to affect space time, or does it?

It could be worse, you're right: Move Horvat to LD, his first pass is so clean.

And the post you quoted seems to have vanished? My tablet sucks, yes, but it doesn't have the ability to affect space time, or does it?

No, but the mods do. lol

They could also suggest sending the Sedins down to the minors, too. :P

Archived