The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Horvat as a top 6 winger?

Sedin Brothers

If that's a figure of speech, I'm glad I will NEVER have to work with someone like you.

Hey, are you Tom Cruise? You're right, I'm way under qualified.

Hear, hear!

mvj0y4E.gif

Gentlemen, this is a joke, and when I wrote "I hope you die" to the OP, that was exaggeration.

Quit being so damn PC and accept that Horvat on wing is an extremely stupid idea, so dumb in fact that desiboy probably would go for it.

Should we give the OP a "participation ribbon"? C'mon guys, a spade's a spade.

Gentlemen, this is a joke, and when I wrote "I hope you die" to the OP, that was exaggeration.

why would you even write it? "hey buddy, I hope your wife, siblings, parents and kids die. o sorry I was exaggerating." Say your stupid crap now before the police have authority to follow up on these comments.

if you can't control yourself you probably should stay off the internets ;)

why would you even write it? "hey buddy, I hope your wife, siblings, parents and kids die. o sorry I was exaggerating." Say your stupid crap now before the police have authority to follow up on these comments.if you can't control yourself you probably should stay off the internets ;)

Oh geez, and here I was thinking I was dealing with grown men that have actually played competitive sports and understand trash talk.

Guess I should think about the childrens' feelings on this whole intrawebs thingy.

BTW- our Charter guarantees my right to say such things, if I actually made a threat (which would be totally insane), the Police would actually have the authority to take appropriate action. Just like the mods might warn or even ban me for being a misunderstood a-hole. Also, I see you understand exaggeration, good. Or did you just threaten my wife and kids? I'm calling the cops.

Oh geez, and here I was thinking I was dealing with grown men that have actually played competitive sports and understand trash talk.

Guess I should think about the childrens' feelings on this whole intrawebs thingy.

BTW- our Charter guarantees my right to say such things, if I actually made a threat (which would be totally insane), the Police would actually have the authority to take appropriate action. Just like the mods might warn or even ban me for being a misunderstood a-hole. Also, I see you understand exaggeration, good. Or did you just threaten my wife and kids? I'm calling the cops.

pretty sure the quotation marks absolve me just like your "apology" does. kind of worried that you have a wife and kids though :(

there's trash talk and there's telling somebody to die. I'd hate for your children to the be recipients of something similar.

set an example because Google saves everything.

Mmhm, I'm sure Hank whispers "I hope you die" ever time he lines up for a face off. Fact of the matter is, it was a dumb idea that got overshadowed by a much dumber... Well, you.

Maybe for short periods but I doubt it. You never know, if there's a glut at center WD might have to move people around.

Scotty Bowman put natural center Fedorov on Larionov's wing to (re)create "The Russian 5" and this was when Fedorov was winning Hart and Selke trophies. He also put Fedorov on defence with Chelios.

Sakic and Forsberg would play together from time to time.

Boston used to start the game with Adam Oates between Cam Neely and Ray Bourque.

Along with Bo, might as well put Hank in goal (people worry about him being soft? Well you bump the goalie and you're in the sin bin, plus he can lob 200 ft. passes to Danny), put Vey on the 1st line (he's not fit for the bottom 6 is the common notion) and Miller as the 4th line C (who knows shot-blocking like Ryan Miller?) #ProjectTank

giphy.gif

(Seriously though, no thanks, we aren't stacked up the middle like the Av's were with Duchene, Mackinnon and O'Reilly)

Before I get publicly ridiculed for making two threads in one day, I would like to point out that teams have experimented with putting a highly-valued talent on the wing merely to get them on the ice. Examples would be Jonny Drouin and Elias Lindholm both playing RW, despite both being natural C's.

This would help a lot. It would possibly put too many question marks on the 2nd line, but the third line would be pretty good. The only concern I have for the second line would be Horvat/Baert pairing - does it have enough experience to be effective? Maybe Burrows could fill that line?

Possible lines with this scenario:

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Horvat-Suter-Burr/Baert

Burr/Baert-Vey-Hansen

Prust-McCann-Dorsett

Virtanen, Gaunce, Kenis?

Bye Higgins

Miller

Markstrom

I agree with your lines other than throwing Higgins under the bus. I think Higgins is a great player who plays with a lot of energy and could bring a lot to our third line. Also I feel Horvat progressed so much over the course of his rookie season I want to see the coaching staff give him the opportunity to centre our second line. Bo Horvat is an exceptional talent at his age. He is very defensively sound and will not hurt us in our own end will actually help us if I recall correctly BoHo was the only Canuck centre to win 50% of his draws. He showed exceptional speed near the end of the season and of course in the playoffs he had several end to end rushes. He is obviously a great two-way player I feel he deserves a chance to centre the second line and show what he can do offensively as well as playing against top end talent on other teams.

Pretty harsh statements luckylager. Just because you don't agree (or you even hate) the idea that was suggested, doesn't mean you have to act like a righteous bully. Horvat as a winger was an idea being tossed around. I don't agree with it, because Horvat is the Canucks best faceoff guy, but if the person said "Horvat should play goal", then okay, that's really dumb and would be deserving of some scolding.

Burrows will play with the Sedins until they all retire, as Canucks. The centres are: Hank, Sutter (not Suter), Horvat, and ? I don't believe Vey is a good fit as a centre on the 4th line, or even for this team. Gaunce should be the 4th line centre, but that's just my opinion.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - Gaunce - Dorsett/Virtanen (this line would crush)

out - Vey

Maybe for short periods but I doubt it. You never know, if there's a glut at center WD might have to move people around.

Scotty Bowman put natural center Fedorov on Larionov's wing to (re)create "The Russian 5" and this was when Fedorov was winning Hart and Selke trophies. He also put Fedorov on defence with Chelios.

Sakic and Forsberg would play together from time to time.

Boston used to start the game with Adam Oates between Cam Neely and Ray Bourque.

I feel like if there was a glut at center, we have Vey and Gaunce who can play wing, while I feel Jared McCann may end up on the left side if we have too many Cs. Zhukenov can be C or R.

I feel like if there was a glut at center, we have Vey and Gaunce who can play wing, while I feel Jared McCann may end up on the left side if we have too many Cs. Zhukenov can be C or R.

It's really good we have so many young guys, who can play centre or wing. This will really help on the PK too, especially for face offs. Bo is going to be centre. He's just too good not to play him there.

It's really good we have so many young guys, who can play centre or wing. This will really help on the PK too, especially for face offs. Bo is going to be centre. He's just too good not to play him there.

I feel like, if our prospect pool doesn't change too much...

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser

McCann-Zhukenov-Jasek

Shinkaruk-Cassels-Virtanen

Gaunce-4th line C-Vey

Would be pretty nasty to roll all 4.

Curious as to what people are expecting out of Horvat this season?

If he falls short of say 20 goals & 40 points would you be disappointed?

Depends how the team does. I'd more expect his +/- to be >0, rather than pts be above 20/20/40. Horvat is a great scorer, but we need his defensive game too.

Pretty harsh statements luckylager. Just because you don't agree (or you even hate) the idea that was suggested, doesn't mean you have to act like a righteous bully. Horvat as a winger was an idea being tossed around. I don't agree with it, because Horvat is the Canucks best faceoff guy, but if the person said "Horvat should play goal", then okay, that's really dumb and would be deserving of some scolding.

Burrows will play with the Sedins until they all retire, as Canucks. The centres are: Hank, Sutter (not Suter), Horvat, and ? I don't believe Vey is a good fit as a centre on the 4th line, or even for this team. Gaunce should be the 4th line centre, but that's just my opinion.

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows

Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata

Higgins - Horvat - Hansen

Prust - Gaunce - Dorsett/Virtanen (this line would crush)

out - Vey

The way Desjardins balances ice time I'm not worried about Horvat as a 2nd or 3rd.

They were moved to the wing because they were lousy in the draw and defensive liabilities. Horvat's biggest strengths are in the faceoff circle and playing a solid 2 way game, so No. Moving him to the wing makes no sense and will never happen!

Further; if Horvat plays wing > then Vey is 3C again? And Cracknell 4C...

No thanks.

Someone also mentioned Elias Lindholm? He is a top 6 scorer though; his greatest strength. But he was not going to push Eric Staal & Jordan Staal out of top jobs. Then he went and knocked Semin off the roster, and it was not hard to outscore Chris Terry & Zach Boychuck who were his next best competition. To grab a wing position. And As above; first we need Horvat at centre. What he offers there is greater than any benefit we would derive from placing him in scoring situations. And is Bo going to knock Vrabata off the wing role to earn it, even if we gave it a crack?

It is a bit of a hodge podge suggestion is my thinking.

Archived