The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Our D wasn't anything to write home about last year. We should be a bit faster back there and move the puck better but we're also down some grit and still haven't addressed any of the major short comings (dearth of actual top 4/top 2 talent, size particualrly on the right side etc).

Never said anything about 'Millsy'.

True the D was not spectacular, speed and zone break outs are definitely an issue. Defensive depth is not great no argument there, but we really lack any sort of bonafied goal scoring except for Vrbata.

I was asking about Millsy out of curiosity assuming you might of thought he was not up to the task :)

Wasn't very impressed with Witt. Thought Whistle was the better goalie. Not sure if we can invite him because he may still be draft eligible. Anyone know?

He's no longer draft eligible. We would have to sign him to a PTO if we wanted to invite him to camp.

I don't see that happening with Bachman signed and Cannata being ahead of him.

True the D was not spectacular, speed and zone break outs are definitely an issue. Defensive depth is not great no argument there, but we really lack any sort of bonafied goal scoring except for Vrbata.

I was asking about Millsy out of curiosity assuming you might of thought he was not up to the task :)

Both Sedins can score, Burr can score and to a lesser extend I'd imagine Horvat, Baer, Sutter, Hansen, Vey etc can/will score. I'm not terribly worried.

We actually have great 5-10 D depth...it's the top 4 that's the problem.

Millsy should be a perfectly competent, veteran #1. Probably will have stats putting him anywhere from low teens to low 20's for goalies. Why would I think him not up to task?

Both Sedins can score, Burr can score and to a lesser extend I'd imagine Horvat, Baer, Sutter, Hansen, Vey etc can/will score. I'm not terribly worried.

Millsy should be a perfectly competent, veteran #1. Probably will have stats putting him anywhere from low teens to low 20's for goalies. Why would I think him not up to task?

I responded to Ashbury in my reply to you actually lol my bad

Of course those other guys can score but more than 30 ? nope WE need at least 3 30+ goal scores to go deep. One 30 and one 20 goal scorer is peanuts. Yes Burr and Hank could break 20 again but that is one line, we need team scoring to go up huge.

Anyone watching the live feed?

Henrik mentioned how they couldn't score on their chances against the Flames...

My question is:

Yes, you couldn't score on the chances you had - we've been hearing that since 2011 - so what are you going to do to change that?

What stood out to me was how much bigger Chris Tanev looks! :frantic:

Also how big Jake is... And how ONLY Brandon Prust was mentioning that he was here to help win a cup. I LOL'd how he also probably would have done like Jake; take a free shot at McDavid! :P

I like Prust better already! :towel:

I have a feeling this is going to be Markstrom's make or break year, same for Jensen and Vey. Those three are really going to be feeling the heat this year. I've confidence in Markstrom, but the other two are really big question marks right now. Let's see what they have this season.

I really hope Hammer has a better year. He really needs to step it up this year and take the reigns. Maybe KB3's departure can be softened by him stepping up and truly leading that D core. I'd look for a big campaign from him to earn an extension.

Ideally, someone between the sulking Hamhuis and the cockiness of KB3 would be an ideal D.

Lord help our blueline.

I'm with you JR. There's still no #4D and nobody to replace Hamhuis in the works. He may still have game but we'll have to wait and see on that.

In the MacKenzie interview, Benning agreed that he may have to take a D high in the draft.

I have a feeling this is going to be Markstrom's make or break year, same for Jensen and Vey. Those three are really going to be feeling the heat this year. I've confidence in Markstrom, but the other two are really big question marks right now. Let's see what they have this season.

Absolutely right, Markstrom and Vey I'm not worried about. Benning says that goaltending is the most important position. I would think then that they've studied the goaltending situation pretty closely and are confident that Markstrom will do well.

Vey knew exactly what he needed to do over the summer and this season. I think he'll have it together (as much as he can) and have a better year.

Jensen, I have my doubts about. I think it was Linden who said that they discussed his future with him and said that he needs to know what sort of a player he will be at the next level and work towards becoming that player. Obviously, a lot of guys who were snipers in junior take on other roles in the NHL. If he can't invent a job for himself, this may be his last season with the organization. This is his 3rd season as a pro. Next year, he'll have to clear waivers.

Some telling groups/pairs in those lineups IMO (you can pretty much see what they have penciled* in for lines) and JEBUS that Burrows/Cassels/Virtanen line. I pity the fools playing against that line :lol:

*Sedin, Sedin, Burr

Baer, Sutter, Vrbata

Higgins, Horvat, Hansen

Prust, Vey, Dorsett

Archived