The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

Linden was on TSN 1040 and they pressed him a bit as to why they didn't take advantage of Higgins LTIR and keep Corrado, but he wouldn't really explain the rationale other than that they just chose that path, which was to waive him instead of keeping him. As we all know, the annual blue line injury bug hits, and hits hard. You would think Frankie would be solid insurance in case that happens.

if he passes through waivers, they can call him up easily if injuries hit.

I must say, after the pitiful efforts our team gave last season, i was actually dreading this season. Wasn't even planning to watch many games.

But with the injection of youth (and I'm hoping they all stay up here past the 9 games), i actually can't wait for the season to begin. I know it'll be growing pains. I'm not expecting miracles. But I just can't wait to see us get speedy and creative and tough to play against

Linden was on TSN 1040 and they pressed him a bit as to why they didn't take advantage of Higgins LTIR and keep Corrado, but he wouldn't really explain the rationale other than that they just chose that path, which was to waive him instead of keeping him. As we all know, the annual blue line injury bug hits, and hits hard. You would think Frankie would be solid insurance in case that happens.

Frankie just didn't develop. That's not on him, that's on the organization. Anyone else from the 2011 draft would have another year to develop but he just wasn't able to. Last season for him began with an injury and a poor start of 3 points in 11 games. He was called up multiple times but the Canucks flat out refused to play him. He easily missed 10-15 games because of travel and sitting in the press box. When he was sent down, he was solid defensively and produced 13 points in 25 games, which showed he was ready but unfortunately he got injured again when he got called up and wasn't able to prove anything.

What you see is a player who wasn't able to prove himself in the AHL nor was he allowed to acclimate to the NHL due to injuries and reluctance to play him at this level. This is why the Canucks ultimately sent him down. He needs to show he is ready and finish his development at the AHL level.

2015 NHL Final Standings:

(8th overall) Vancouver - 101 points

(28th overall) Edmonton - 62 points

2013 Draft:

(#7) Nurse sent down to AHL

(#9) Horvat to 2nd NHL season

2014 Draft:

(#3) Draisaitl sent down to AHL

(#6) Virtanen to 1st NHL season

(#24) McCann to 1st NHL season

Again.

Different team, different needs.

Kinda sad about Corrado. Dropped off quite a bit since the SJ series.

He is a 5th round pick with 2 years of pro. I suspect he clears waivers and continues his development

in Utica. I thought his camp was a bit tentative. He will be back.

so i guess if both McCann and Virtanen stick after the 9 game tryout, who gets traded?? probably a right winger, my bet is Hansen

So if my guess is correct, we look like this when healthy.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Virtanen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Cracknell Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Hutton Sbisa

Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

I chose 14 forwards and 7 Defencemen because I think its best for Corrado to play top minutes in Utica as opposed to sitting in the press box as he would be next in line for D. I chose Ronny Kenins for 14th forward because he has shown success at the NHL regular season level last year and he can crash and bang and can take Virtanens or Prusts place or even Dorsetts on any given night.

ok, so to add to my post..

generalfanager says that Hansen has a modified ntc and higgins has a limited ntc, no other details posted.

If anyone here knows the scoop on both players contract info, can they elaborate for me please?

:)

I believe Higgins has a list of 5 teams tgat he cant be traded too. Hansen probably has something similar.

I'm curious why many people slot in bartkowski as the extra defencman. I think he has far more tools and upside to his game than weber does.

Both are good serviceable d-man.

But Weber earns the spot. I'm thinking Hamhuis definitely gets traded before the deadline if Hutton contineus to amaze.

so i guess if both McCann and Virtanen stick after the 9 game tryout, who gets traded?? probably a right winger, my bet is Hansen

So if my guess is correct, we look like this when healthy.

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baertschi Horvat Vrbata

Higgins Sutter Virtanen

Prust McCann Dorsett

Cracknell Kenins

Edler Tanev

Hamhuis Weber

Hutton Sbisa

Bartkowski

Miller

Markstrom

I chose 14 forwards and 7 Defencemen because I think its best for Corrado to play top minutes in Utica as opposed to sitting in the press box as he would be next in line for D. I chose Ronny Kenins for 14th forward because he has shown success at the NHL regular season level last year and he can crash and bang and can take Virtanens or Prusts place or even Dorsetts on any given night.

There is no guarantee that Hutton starts over Bartkowski. Once he starts playing with the big boys and the mistakes start happening, which they will, he can easily find himself watching.

What happens when Higgy comes back?

Linden confirmed today on TSN1040 that they weren't going to put him on LTIR so he should be back before the 10 game/24 days mark. As it stands there are 23 players on the roster including Higgins for a total cap hit of roughly 71.2M. So they don't necessarily need to do anything once he is back healthy. It simply means that there is one more player to rotate into the lineup (conversely one more player in the press-box).

The only issue is that 200K in cap space is very little. If I am not mistaken that is the amount that the Penguins started with last season and they ended having to play a few games one man short because of multiple injuries and lack of cap space.

Linden confirmed today on TSN1040 that they weren't going to put him on LTIR so he should be back before the 10 game/24 days mark. As it stands there are 23 players on the roster including Higgins for a total cap hit of roughly 71.2M. So they don't necessarily need to do anything once he is back healthy. It simply means that there is one more player to rotate into the lineup (conversely one more player in the press-box).

The only issue is that 200K in cap space is very little. If I am not mistaken that is the amount that the Penguins started with last season and they ended having to play a few games one man short because of multiple injuries and lack of cap space.

Either a trade will be made or one of Virt or McCann returns to Jr. They won't play long with a 23 man roster, imo......Cracknell could be put on waivers too

Archived