The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] 2015 Canucks Training Camp Thread

-Vintage Canuck-

For now. What happens when Higgins comes back? Does Cracker come out, and Sutter go back to centre?

Depends on how everyone plays. The good thing about keeping Cracknell is that you don't mind having a veteran low cost journeyman as a 13th man who has to sit out a lot of games. If things go according to plan, probably Cracknell does come out when Higgins comes back. The centers would then be Henrik, Horvat, Sutter and McCann.

But if Cracknell does a great job at 4C and McCann cannot yet handle the NHL game then McCann goes back to Junior, and Cracknell stays in the line-up.

And there are lots of other possibilities as well. I could see Prust getting pushed the press box when Higgins comes back if Cracknell plays really well, for example. That is an easy swap as both Higgins and Prust play LW and Higgins is a better player both offensively and defensively (although he is not as tough).

I disagree. Weber is extremely underrated and undervalued here. I would play him before Bartkowski and he has played well on a pairing with Hamhuis. Also let's not forget top blue line scorer last season.

Ansd if that actually ends up being our 4th, it will be the most expensive 4th line in NHL history.

I still think Prust and Dorsy will be split. Though I love Burr and Hansen, neither of those guys have ever protected anyone.

Maybe Jake will be able to stick up for himself, but I'd still like one of them (Prust, Dors) out there in case Jake does get run. Pay the Piper, and now.

I guess IMO, Prust goes with Jake, Dorsett did a great job helping Horvat work his game in and I expect he'd have a similar effect on McCann

Let's hope so.

I just skip ahead when I see a lineup, but here's mine. It's like thinking out loud. Plus I'm drinkin.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (sad but true)

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Prust-Sutter-Vrtanen

Dorsett-McCann-Hansen

Cracker, HigPig

Edler - Tanev

Bartkowski-Hamhuis

Sbisa-Hutton

Weber

Tasty.

Did anybody hear McCann talking about working on his transition game (as a winger)? He's going to have to be versatile to stay in the league. Once HigPig comes back, Burrows goes back with the Sedins, Sutter to 3C and McCann is a spare playing wherever he can unless they decide to send him back to junior.

Short term, Sutter playing with the Sedins is all about making room for McCann at 3C. They don't want him on the 4th line and when he played there in the pre-season, he was all but invisible imo.

Did anybody hear McCann talking about working on his transition game (as a winger)? He's going to have to be versatile to stay in the league. Once HigPig comes back, Burrows goes back with the Sedins, Sutter to 3C and McCann is a spare playing wherever he can unless they decide to send him back to junior.

Short term, Sutter playing with the Sedins is all about making room for McCann at 3C. They don't want him on the 4th line and when he played there in the pre-season, he was all but invisible imo.

I would say the odds are strongly against McCann going beyond 9 games, and I think that's management's outlook too, hence why they're OK with Sutter playing short-term with the Sedins.

Sure hope he can surpass those odds, but IMO chances are slim. Hope I eat my words.

I would say the odds are strongly against McCann going beyond 9 games, and I think that's management's outlook too, hence why they're OK with Sutter playing short-term with the Sedins.

Sure hope he can surpass those odds, but IMO chances are slim. Hope I eat my words.

I think Sutter with the Sedins is more about getting Sutter going than it is about McCann.

He's had lots of chances, not alot of finish.

McCann will stay at center if he can outplay Cracknell. He's the most likely to be a spare when Higgins comes back IMO.

I'll probably have to temper my excitement about these moves at some point, but right now I'm jacked.

As a fan you always wait for management to make balls-y moves that move things in the right direction. They often do almost nothing, and when they do it's usually a very measured and thoughtful move. This is good obviously, because nobody wants a loose-cannon who is always going crazy.

This move, though, seems almost like the Luongo deal or similar GREAT move the Canucks have made over the years...I realize I'm being over-hyperbolic, but this commitment to the future is exciting.

Let's hope so.

I just skip ahead when I see a lineup, but here's mine. It's like thinking out loud. Plus I'm drinkin.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows (sad but true)

Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata

Prust-Sutter-Vrtanen

Dorsett-McCann-Hansen

Cracker, HigPig

Edler - Tanev

Bartkowski-Hamhuis

Sbisa-Hutton

Weber

Tasty.

Forward lines look too logical for CDC... you must be drinking.

I'd rather see Hutton with Hamhuis (maybe Bart). Sbisa gets caught kinda floating at times, Hutton tends to jump up in the play. It would seem having a D man that can actually see the ice well and respond accordingly would protect us from not just odd man rushes, but 2 on 0 rushes.

Forward lines look too logical for CDC... you must be drinking.

I'd rather see Hutton with Hamhuis (maybe Bart). Sbisa gets caught kinda floating at times, Hutton tends to jump up in the play. It would seem having a D man that can actually see the ice well and respond accordingly would protect us from not just odd man rushes, but 2 on 0 rushes.

Like Edler with Ehrhoff, I think Sbisa playing with Hutton the coaches will have Sbisa simplify. Let Hutton be the dynamic guy making pinches and roving and Sbisa can sit back, play a smart and simple game and occasionally drifting in to soft spots for offensive chances but largely backing up Hutton.

From the today's Province:

Henrik Sedin, Daniel Sedin and Radim Vrbata have played a combined 41 years in the NHL.

Bo Horvat, Jared McCann, Ben Hutton and Jake Virtanen have played a combined 1 year in the NHL.

That, folks, is your new Vancouver Canucks team. And isn’t it tantalizing?

Archived