The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] 2016 FA shopping + continued culture change

1.) Hamhuis/Vrbata/Prust all traded for picks/prospects at the trade deadline = $11.1m additional cap space on top of current $1.3m available

2.) Grind out remainder of season and whatever happens, happens

3.) Offseason trade away Higgins/Hansen for picks/prospect = additional $5m in cap space

3.) sign Milan Lucic 6 x $6m per

4.) sign Kyle Okposo 5 x $5m per

5.) sign Brent Seabrook 6 x $5.5m per

2016 lineup:

Daniel - Henrik - Lucic

Baerstchi - Horvat - Okposo

Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen

Dorsett - Gaunce - Grenier

Vey/Kenins (...Shinkaruk/McCann close to making it following year)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Seabrook

Bartkowski - Corrado

Pedan/Fedun/Biega

Miller - Markstrom

...younger (for the most part), bigger, faster. A little bit of everything, can't conplain and more change with roster moves.

Those salaries are unfortunately low, Okposo will get 6+, Lucic Isn't worth the 6+ he'll get, and Seabrook even on a hometown discount will be 6.5-7M.

I agree that Okposo and Seabrook would be great adds (wouldn't be a huge fan of Lucic here, nothing to do with the bruins just think he's inconsistent and looks lost without a top tier center to feed him)

The contract the canucks really need to escape from is Burrows unfortunately... and if higgins/hansen could be traded they would have been gone this offseason.

Also, even if he is dealt at the deadline, I'd hope to bring hamhuis back.

Seabrook and Lucic are both getting older and while Lucic may be good for a 3-5 year deal still, Seabrook is not. He plays a hard, physical game and will not be a top tier defenceman after say 2 seasons time.

This coming season will determine how much of a decline they'll be heading towards. I expect Lucic to still be good for 20 goals (no more) for a while, but Seabrook will only be a 20+ minute defenceman for another 3 seasons.

With that in mind I think we should go hard for a young left handed defenceman, and with so many good trading pieces like Hansen, Higgins, Vbrata and Hamhuis at the deadline, we should be able to get one. I'd be looking at someone like Haydn Fleury in Carolina (they're stacked with Faulk and Hanifin on the blueline), or say Hamhuis + Vbrata for Pouliot + cap space from Pittsburgh. That being said Vbrata would be a fantastic mentor for Baertschi in particular. Likewise, Burrows would be the perfect mentor for Shinkaruk.

Sedin - Sedin - Lucic

Baertschi - Horvat - Vbrata

Shinkaruk - Sutter - Burrows

Dorsett - Gaunce - Vey

Prust

Cassels

Virtanen

Edler - Seabrook

Fleury/Pouliot/whoever - Tanev

Sbisa - Barktowski

Corrado

1.) Hamhuis/Vrbata/Prust all traded for picks/prospects at the trade deadline = $11.1m additional cap space on top of current $1.3m available

2.) Grind out remainder of season and whatever happens, happens

3.) Offseason trade away Higgins/Hansen for picks/prospect = additional $5m in cap space

3.) sign Milan Lucic 6 x $6m per

4.) sign Kyle Okposo 5 x $5m per

5.) sign Brent Seabrook 6 x $5.5m per

2016 lineup:

Daniel - Henrik - Lucic

Baerstchi - Horvat - Okposo

Burrows - Sutter - Virtanen

Dorsett - Gaunce - Grenier

Vey/Kenins (...Shinkaruk/McCann close to making it following year)

Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Seabrook

Bartkowski - Corrado

Pedan/Fedun/Biega

Miller - Markstrom

...younger (for the most part), bigger, faster. A little bit of everything, can't conplain and more change with roster moves.

To understate things, we have different ideas about how to build, rebuild or re-tool a franchise.

A. Regarding the second of the two items listed in the original post as #3, I don't think Lucic is going to be worth $6 million in 3 years, let alone 6 years. (I don't think he'll be worth it in 2016-17, but that might be close. I don't think it will be close in a few years, expecting he will regress considerably.)

B. Similar to A and regarding Seabrook, remember last year all the complaints on CDC about the contracts given a few years ago to our old guys, like Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhuis? Last season Hamhuis and Higgins were 31, Bieksa and Burrows 33.

Now the suggestion is to sign a 30 year old Seabrook to more money and term than any of them? Six years, at the end of which he'll be older than any of the aforementioned Higgins, Burrows, Bieksa and Hamhuis will be when their current contracts expire?

I can just imagine the screaming on CDC 4, 5 and 6 years from now.

To state it in a nutshell, imo giving long-term, big-money contracts to formerly great players who have no upside (they aren't going to improve) and who could easily regress over the term of their contracts is no way to build a strong franchise.

Archived