The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

macann should be in the nhl

hockeygod77

McCann>Virtanen every other night so far.

Anyways, seems as though McCann was put into a position to fail tonight. Vey was put with legitimate NHLers, while McCann was put with AHLers and had reduced ice time. That bothers the hell out of me.

McCann still came closer to scoring than Vey.

These f-ing pet projects that have plagued this team for the past 15 years is getting ridiculous. Vey hasn't done jack to earn a roster spot. This is Aaron f-ing Rome all over again, sick of this crap.

These f-ing pet projects that have plagued this team for the past 15 years is getting ridiculous. Vey hasn't done jack to earn a roster spot. This is Aaron f-ing Rome all over again, sick of this crap.

Yeah i just heard the WD interview... im f-ing pissed. Whatever happened to playing good and earning a spot? JB said he will make room for players if they've shown they are ready. McCann has done preety much every friggin thing they asked of him and he will most likely be sent back to junior to protect WD pet. :picard: I hope im wrong and JB sticks to his word.

If they send McCann down, Im not surprised, Benning wants to save face - hes not going to punt Vey and concede he coughed up a 2nd for nothing.

In the grand scheme of things will McCann benefit more being a key player in Junior, probably being a key player on the team Canada roster, or will he gain more confidence playing with Prust and Dorsett in a muzzled role. Only time will tell.

Yeah i just heard the WD interview... im f-ing pissed. Whatever happened to playing good and earning a spot? JB said he will make room for players if they've shown they are ready. McCann has done preety much every friggin thing they asked of him and he will most likely be sent back to junior to protect WD pet. :picard: I hope im wrong and JB sticks to his word.

Desjardins interview is one thing but roster cuts are made by Benning. Lets see if Benning is true to his word.

To be honest, the deck was stacked against McCann to make the team all along. The only spot available is 4C, and it's accurate to say that isn't the ideal role for him at this point. I'd still have him stick around and get a taste of the NHL for a few games before going back to the OHL. It would provide him a reference for when he comes back ready to crack the lineup next year. But of course, the centre situation won't be changed by then either.

Should I say any more?

Minimum 9 games this year. Next year Full Time Guaranteed if not sooner... : :D McCann's gonna be a game changer, step up to the plate player.

Also Hutton is a NHL'r now. Sure all young guys will go thru some learning curves but he's gonna be a stud.

::D

Most people disappeared from this chat....

Most were not giving McCann a shot I guess....

Well, id did take a very unexpected lineup juggle (Sutter) to allow it to happen. But Canner has certainly earned his chance. Whatever happens in the next while, we know we've got a really good player for a lot of years in him.

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking more about this. Nucks Mgmt is probably marginally playing McCann so he has little chance to shine so they can justify his return to Junior.  I mean we had Vey on the PP last year as a stark contrast. Cmon WD, give the guy a chance to snipe...he either hits the steel or scores.

He has shown speed and an NHL shot ... but ... gets knocked off the puck too easily, turnover prone, looks lost defensively. Needs a season of body-building and defensive zone work, killing penalties etc, in Junior.  But I agree he hasn't been given a fair chance with wingers who can complement him.

Give him to Vrbata and Burrows for 4 games and see what he has to offer before making a decision.  (or even Baertchi and Hansen, then see what speed and major league passing to him as a sniper can achieve)

Archived