The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

macann should be in the nhl

hockeygod77

i know way more hockey than most of you on here including the fans of the game that go to rogers arena..some smart fans but many just don't get it..i know it and followed it played lots of sports and yes i think thats why the canucks never get going unless they fluke it off with some surprsie player..i just think if you go with the young guys in they will be better off in the long run win or lose...players that do well start in the hl at 18 or 20....you can't just send guys down and hope they get bigger and faster...you need to plat them now

i know way more hockey than most of you on here including the fans of the game that go to rogers arena..some smart fans but many just don't get it..i know it and followed it played lots of sports and yes i think thats why the canucks never get going unless they fluke it off with some surprsie player..i just think if you go with the young guys in they will be better off in the long run win or lose...players that do well start in the hl at 18 or 20....you can't just send guys down and hope they get bigger and faster...you need to plat them now

oilers

That's because most of them are in the top 10 of their drafts. Have you seen where the Canucks usually pick?

Alright ignoring all of the terrible spelling..

With Sedin, Sutter and Horvat looking poised to be on our team for many years to come, McCaan will only get a real opportunity on the wing.

It won't be this year. Next year he might be in the AHL. But a couple of years from now, look for him to get a chance as a LW. A couple of years later (when Sutter's contract is ending), I expect him to make the shift to the middle.

It all depends on when the Sedins want to retire. Henrik will never be below a 3C. Horvat will occupy a top 6C. Sutter will be a top 9 until his contract ends. Guys like Cassels, Gaunce and Vey will be running between the bottom 6 wing and center spots until then.

However an incredibly plausible scenario is that Sutter plays well for a couple of years. McCaan comes in, pays his dues and looks set to take over.

McCaan

Horvat

Henrik

Sutter gets a trade (when he is more valuable than his contract) and we skip merrily down the road.

^^ Yeah, as if giving those 9 games wouldn't force us to send other players down, exposing them to waivers in most cases. But this is a dumb idea that just refuses to die.

Yes I was going to make the same point (or ask the same question). If the Canucks keep three rookie forwards in the 23 man roster rookies, which veterans would we like to lose to waivers? Right now the top 12 forwards look like the Sedins, Burr, Baertschi, Vrby, Sutter, Higgins, Hansen, Horvat, Prust, Dorsett and Vey. All would require waivers except Horvat, and he is not going to be sent down to make room for a rookie. That leaves two spots for forwards. Two rookies could be kept but not three. Virtanen will likely get a shot but there are lots of guys fighting for the other spot - Kenins, Gaunce, Grenier, etc. Why not give the spot to whichever guy earns it?

A good GM will know if the player has a future with team from the get go..none games will show what the kid can do and thats the difference in getting a championship team together...you don't baby them along until they get to the hl level..you teach them the hl game young and early is my way...you don't pick guys for their scoring skills only...its about having the chatacter skill and toughness...

McCann and Virtanen won't be 20 until next season. What does that have to do with them being in the NHL now?

Perry and Getzlaf both went back to junior as 19 year olds, and I would say they turned out pretty well.

i know way more hockey than most of you....

...players that do well start in the hl at 18 or 20....you can't just send guys down and hope they get bigger and faster...you need to plat them now

Did you know....

Alex Burrows and Martin St Louis were both 25 their first full NHL season. Maybe you've heard of Brett Hull. He was 23 his first full season. He happens to be in that small 50 goals in 50 games club. Detroit's Franzen was 24 when he was drafted. Mark Streit was drafted when he was 26 and entered his first full season at 27. So much for what you know.

Did you know....

Alex Burrows and Martin St Louis were both 25 their first full NHL season. Maybe you've heard of Brett Hull. He was 23 his first full season. He happens to be in that small 50 goals in 50 games club. Detroit's Franzen was 24 when he was drafted. Mark Streit was drafted when he was 26 and entered his first full season at 27. So much for what you know.

had no idea about franzen and streit lol. How can you be drafted so late?

Archived