The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

macann should be in the nhl

hockeygod77

Yeah I do. While he may make it next year, he's not strong enough yet to last a whole NHL season. He's like 175 pounds. I'm a huge McCann fan I had him #11 overall in my 2014 mock draft. Give him 9 games but send him down to play in world juniors. Next year give him half a season in the AHL then bring him up. He looks amazing right now but it's pre season. If he makes the team this year and plays great I'll gladly admit I was wrong at how quickly he assimilated to the NHL.

Good post. I love what I'm seeing from McCann as everyone else is, and I wouldn't be opposed to having him do his 9 games. But a 82-game schedule with lots of travel is very likely to wear down that 179-lb body. I'm all for getting kids in the lineup if they're ready, but I'm loathe to put a kid in there who is not physically-ready. I think it's unfair to the kid, and sets a dangerous precedent. It's risky with a kid as promising as McCann. But there's no doubt he's playing well and would otherwise be worthy of an opening-night spot in the lineup.

Yeah I do. While he may make it next year, he's not strong enough yet to last a whole NHL season. He's like 175 pounds. I'm a huge McCann fan I had him #11 overall in my 2014 mock draft. Give him 9 games but send him down to play in world juniors. Next year give him half a season in the AHL then bring him up. He looks amazing right now but it's pre season. If he makes the team this year and plays great I'll gladly admit I was wrong at how quickly he assimilated to the NHL.

The one thing I want to mention is that today's 19 yr olds are not the same as 10 year ago 19 year olds in general.

Todays 19 yr olds have had much better coaching, skill development, & strength development than 10+ years ago.

SOME of these teenagers (Horvat, McKinnon, Eichel, Bennett, McDavid Ekland, etc, etc.) have clearly demonstrated that. You must give a much longer look at these teenagers today. They are groomed better than some vets in the league because some of those vets never had the training & coaching that these teenagers are getting today.

I can see McCann going back to juniors to dominate there & in the WJ's after some NHL games, but as for next season I see him on this team NO DOUBT. Not AHL bound at all in my eyes but time will only tell.

Of course, but implication was if he wasn't any worse than Vey?

Not being worse than Vey doesn't mean he should be in the NHL. The only reason Vey isn't starting in the AHL is because we'd risk losing him to waivers.

At this point Vey can sit in the pressbox and it's not gonna hurt his development. At 19 having McCann sit in the pressbox makes no sense. He'd be better playing big minutes in junior.

Not being worse than Vey doesn't mean he should be in the NHL. The only reason Vey isn't starting in the AHL is because we'd risk losing him to waivers.

At this point Vey can sit in the pressbox and it's not gonna hurt his development. At 19 having McCann sit in the pressbox makes no sense. He'd be better playing big minutes in junior.

Here's the thing though: the only way McCann makes the team is if he continues to out-play Vey for 4C, so if he makes the team, he won't be in the press-box.

I don't like this aspect of the CBA.

It puts teams in an odd position - where they have an incentive to give the young players that might be sent back to the CHL - in this case the OHL - a longer look than their waiver ineligible guys that they can assign to the A.

In this case, they are faced with a tough decision with McCann (and Virtanen) - while a guy in a position like Cassells is at a disadvantage to make the opening night roster - because he'll be available regardless throughout the season, being in Utica.

It also don't like the loophole/discrepancy where 19 year olds out of the European leagues can play in the AHL - and be availalble. I understand the NHL has negotiated a 'special' relationship with the CHL, but it creates a contradiction.

Perhaps NHL teams should simply have an option/exception - where they can designate an exception in the case of an exceptional player like McCann (or Virtanen, or Horvat before them) - where a player can be deemed ready for the AHL and therefore this odd barrier to them (and the players slightly older who are in the AHL who lose a spot for reasons that can be more complicated than the simple merit of their play) is eliminated.

It puts teams in an odd position - where they have an incentive to give the young players that might be sent back to the CHL - in this case the OHL - a longer look than their waiver ineligible guys that they can assign to the A.

In this case, they are faced with a tough decision with McCann (and Virtanen) - while a guy in a position like Cassells is at a disadvantage to make the opening night roster - because he'll be available regardless throughout the season, being in Utica.

It also don't like the loophole/discrepancy where 19 year olds out of the European leagues can play in the AHL - and be availalble. I understand the NHL has negotiated a 'special' relationship with the CHL, but it creates a contradiction.

Perhaps NHL teams should simply have an option/exception - where they can designate an exception in the case of an exceptional player like McCann (or Virtanen, or Horvat before them) - where a player can be deemed ready for the AHL and therefore this odd barrier to them (and the players slightly older who are in the AHL who lose a spot for reasons that can be more complicated than the simple merit of their play) is eliminated.

I wouldn't waive vey

I'd send down Kenins if possible and trade Higgins that opens up 2 spots

Sedin Sedin virtanen

Beartschi Horvat Vrbata

Guance Sutter Burrows

Prust McCann Dorsette

To ANA

Higgins

Hansen

Subban

Jensen

To VAN

Shea theadore

Julius Nattinen

Yeah, Macann has looked good. I was quite impressed with his speed last game, he looks like he can accerlerate pretty fast. That quick one touch pass to BoHo shows some very good skillz too. I'm not sure he's 100% ready for the NHL, but he's looking like a very good prospect for sure.

I was quite impressed with Jake the Snake as well. He displayed his good shot when he snapped it top shelf walking in from the faceoff circle.

The fact that he's still here and they are trying him on the wing means they like him, and lbh, he's better than most of our fringe forwards anyway.

He should replace Vey, but if we are only keen on adding in a winger for the 3rd line, I would say keep Gaunce and send down McCann. I would bench Vey in a heartbeat for him, but not sure the Canucks will. After all, we coughed up a 2nd round pick for this guy...

Could have had McCann on the team, plus McKeown

The problem is that the NHL-CHL transfer agreement is in place largely to financially safeguard CHL teams and Canada's junior hockey system. Without it, most of their top players would be assigned to the AHL. Take for example the London Knights of over the last few years; presumably Horvat, Domi, and now Marner (among others) would have been assigned to the AHL.

If a clause was to be added that allowed each NHL team to assign one under 20 player to the AHL, the NHL teams would have to provide the CHL team financial compensation. For example, look at the Erie Otters. They have filed for bankruptcy after having McDavid for 3 years; being a CHL team can be really difficult. If such an exceptional clause was implemented, Arizona would likely use it for Strome (or keep him in the NHL). This would further cripple the organization.

In all, the reason why there is an AHL-CHL age requirement is to keep the CHL system viable. In order to manipulate the arrangement there would have to be financial compensation. It is interesting to note that a lot of people would prefer a European system, which has junior, minor (pro) and major (pro) vertically integrated. Thus, circumventing the aforementioned problem of separate and competing financial interests along with player development concerns. However, this in itself has problems; namely there would likely have to be a contraction in the league. Take for example Arizona, it can't even make its NHL team financial viable forget trying to support a junior and minor league team. In some ways I believe it would be very exciting to have a junior, minor, and NHL players all playing underneath a single banner. However, I seriously doubt such a major structural change to the hockey system in north america would ever happen.

How is that an endorsement? Since Vey is waiver eligible he should get his shot this season. Imo you need to be head and shoulders better to steal a roster spot. That said, with Higgins out for the beginning of the season there's a spot to give a junior eligible player a few game look see without sending anybody to Utica.

Okay back up a minute. We're talking about if McCann is clearly better than Vey overall, and you brought up the ole "what about Kopitar, Getzlaf etc." when you know the reality that there aren't many seasoned NHL veterans who can hold their own against them. It's a fallacious argument, to which I suggested that McCann likely does no worse than Vey has shown he can do already, and most likely better.

Having to argue the exceptions in order to sustain one's position smacks of trying to hold on to a weaker case. It's like the worrying over Subban -- "What about when he has to defend Hanzal in front of the net?", as if the vast majority of NHL defencemen are able to do so very well in the first place.

RE McCann... if he can "look good on the wing tonight" you gotta think he is forcing some hard decisions

The fact that they're even trying him on the wing says a lot.

Benning has said that he feels comfortable down the middle. Does this mean that they don't think he'll make a serious challenge at the centre position but he has had too good of a camp to send back to junior so they'll try to force him in at 3LW?

McCann Horvat Hansen (opening night)

McCann already showed chemistry with Horvat. How about tonight with the other possible 3C.

McCann Sutter Burrows (Sept 28)

Archived