The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

macann should be in the nhl

hockeygod77

OP started this & I give him all the credit. Big thumbs up as I instantly was interested & followed this forum as I never am really on the prospect one.

People called U out for starting this thread & some even wanted it blocked, (lol) but I always enjoyed it for the same reason as U.

I love the way McCann plays. Way tougher & stronger than his weight suggests (as quite a few young kids are now a days with the training, coaching, dieting, etc.) as well as his will to competes.

U can never measure weight against HEART.

Just ask the likes of a few of the top of my head:

St.louis

Gudreau

Marchand

Gallagher

Krug

T.Johnson

T.Ennis

Gionta

Hudler

Dionne

Sakic

Hull

Crosby

Gretzky

Bure etc. etc. etc.

Oh yah Sedins. they were only 180 when they started in the NHL.

OP started this & I give him all the credit. Big thumbs up as I instantly was interested & followed this forum as I never am really on the prospect one.

People called U out for starting this thread & some even wanted it blocked, (lol) but I always enjoyed it for the same reason as U.

I love the way McCann plays. Way tougher & stronger than his weight suggests (as quite a few young kids are now a days with the training, coaching, dieting, etc.) as well as his will to competes.

U can never measure weight against HEART.

Just ask the likes of a few of the top of my head:

St.louis

Gudreau

Marchand

Gallagher

Krug

T.Johnson

T.Ennis

Gionta

Hudler

Dionne

Crosby

Gretzky

Bure etc. etc. etc.

Oh yah Sedins. they were only 180 when they started in the NHL.

Sure you can. Perhaps you should include the hundreds of nameless prospects every year who get passed over because they are too small. That logic is just circular because you are defining "heart" to fit with those who succeeded. That being said, I think skill (as many would argue your list reflects) often can compensate for a lack of size to a certain extent. Let's not through out ill-defined terms like "heart" and claim that only winners (or those who succeed in the NHL) have it.

Skill + Heart = NHL

Skill - Heart = AHL

Heart - Skill = AHL

Which player above has no heart to go along with skill that I mentioned??? lol. None.

They all have a bigger hearts than frame, every one of the above... St. Louis, Gretzky, Gallagher, Dionne, Bure, T.Johnson, REPEAT REPEAT....

U don't make it thru peewee, bantam, midget, juniors, playing for their respected countries & make it the SHOW without a HUGE HEART & SKILL.

All of the above have those 2 attributes.....

I only speak facts not fiction...

The ones getting past over with skill obviously were lacking (Guess What) HEART....

PS

when will u give it up with your arguing pure facts.

Skill + Heart = NHL

Skill - Heart = AHL

Heart - Skill = AHL

Which player above has no heart to go along with skill that I mentioned??? lol. None.

They all have a bigger hearts than frame, every one of the above... St. Louis, Gretzky, Gallagher, Dionne, Bure, T.Johnson, REPEAT REPEAT....

U don't make it thru peewee, bantam, midget, juniors, playing for their respected countries & make it the SHOW without a HUGE HEART & SKILL.

The ones getting past over with skill obviously were lacking (Guess What) HEART....

PS

Define "heart" with some objective criteria.

The one thing I want to mention is that today's 19 yr olds are not the same as 10 year ago 19 year olds in general.

Todays 19 yr olds have had much better coaching, skill development, & strength development than 10+ years ago.

SOME of these teenagers (Horvat, McKinnon, Eichel, Bennett, McDavid Ekland, etc, etc.) have clearly demonstrated that. You must give a much longer look at these teenagers today. They are groomed better than some vets in the league because some of those vets never had the training & coaching that these teenagers are getting today.

I can see McCann going back to juniors to dominate there & in the WJ's after some NHL games, but as for next season I see him on this team NO DOUBT. Not AHL bound at all in my eyes but time will only tell.

the AHL is good for young players. Especially with green running the operation. All our guys from Utica look like they are developing well and they aren't rushing guys. Giroux took a similar route as I suggested. He played in the AHL and dominated. Hes a guy who's slight and skilled like McCann. Kind of a similar trajectory in my eyes.

the AHL is good for young players. Especially with green running the operation. All our guys from Utica look like they are developing well and they aren't rushing guys. Giroux took a similar route as I suggested. He played in the AHL and dominated. Hes a guy who's slight and skilled like McCann. Kind of a similar trajectory in my eyes.

I think this is one of those situations where the Canucks would love to be able to send McCann to the AHL early. Unfortunately the only option is the NHL or the OHL.

Regardless of what happens with McCann he looks like a future top 6 centre man thank god. The best course is to give him the 9 game taste. He's earned it. He keeps playing like this keep him. If not Then let him play on the Canada junior team and all of a sudden he has a lot of high end experience. He practiced with a high end AHL playoff team last year as well. A half a season being the go to guy in junior isnt that terrible.

Skill + Heart = NHL

Skill - Heart = AHL

Heart - Skill = AHL

PS

this is taking a very reductionist approach to assessing nhl worthiness. if these were the only measurements of success, anyone could be an nhl scout...sign me up!

as the other poster mentioned, its very easy to say after the fact that someone has more heart than someone else simply based on the fact that he was successful when the other was not. its like saying that white people are better off financially than other minorities because they have more skills and more heart. see how ridiculous that type of reasoning is?

the human condition is far more complex and harder to measure and involves the confluence of factors such as genetics, environmental influences, opportunities given, psychological maturity, physical wear and tear on the body and on and on it goes.... if it was just all about skills and heart, then drafting would be easy.

Not saying it ain't good for players? OBVIOUSLY IT IS for 90%+ of them but McCann ain't 90% of them. Kinda like Horvat, Eklad, Sedins, McKinnon, etc. & someone who he really resembles McCann to me, M.Richards...

Born Winners who don't need pro conditionng like most.

M.Richards:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=59738

this is taking a very reductionist approach to assessing nhl worthiness. if these were the only measurements of success, anyone could be an nhl scout...sign me up!

as the other poster mentioned, its very easy to say after the fact that someone has more heart than someone else simply based on the fact that he was successful when the other was not. its like saying that white people are better off financially than other minorities because they have more skills and more heart. see how ridiculous that type of reasoning is?

the human condition is far more complex and harder to measure and involves the confluence of factors such as genetics, environmental influences, opportunities given, psychological maturity, physical wear and tear on the body and on and on it goes.... if it was just all about skills and heart, then drafting would be easy.

Sorry making hockey isn't the sme as making your own export company up...

Not saying it ain't good for players? OBVIOUSLY IT IS for 90%+ of them but McCann ain't 90% of them. Kinda like Horvat, Eklad, Sedins, McKinnon, etc. & someone who he really resembles McCann to me, M.Richards...

Born Winners who don't need pro conditionng like most.

M.Richards:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=59738

The Richards comparison is looking kind of "unfortunate" (as they say) these days. McCann looks to have more offensive upside and better character than that.

In Willie's post-game comments last night, he said point-blank that some vets are in danger of losing their jobs to prospects who are out-playing them. This was after discussing McCann and Hutton, who I take to be the prospects in question. Clearly a shot across Vey's bow, but I'm not sure who they would cut loose for Hutton. Maybe we're closer than we know to seeing McCann make the team. No question he's earning it up to now.

They really need to look at this rule that forces guys that are ready for the next level yet are forced to return to jr hockey. McCann virtanen as well a quite a few others are beyond jr but maybe not full time nhl ready. ahl is the natural next step.

Maybe The rule should be guys drafted in the first round are excempt from this development freezing rule but if the nhl club chooses they can return to jr.

They really need to look at this rule that forces guys that are ready for the next level yet are forced to return to jr hockey. McCann virtanen as well a quite a few others are beyond jr but maybe not full time nhl ready. ahl is the natural next step.

Maybe The rule should be guys drafted in the first round are excempt from this development freezing rule but if the nhl club chooses they can return to jr.

its been discussed here many times. Some believe it will cripple the chl if thats done. What dhould happen is every team gets 1 exception.

Archived