The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Volkswagen facing billions in EPA fines plus recalls over software that evades EPA emissions standards

Mr. Ambien

You never hear of the multiple class action lawsuits but trust me they are out there. Ford and GM have the most vehicle recalls historically. Over the last few years all companies have been hit by major class action suits. VW included. There are some pretty angry car owners in North America right now.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2014/volkswagen-settles-lawsuit-leaking-sunroofs.shtml

http://www.pswlaw.com/Notable-Cases/Audi-and-Volkswagen-Timing-Belt-Class-Action.aspx

Being a person not afraid to work on my own cars i have the luxury of choosing what I want to drive. i drive older cars simply for simplicity lol. So easy to fix much cheaper parts and really much better to look at imho :)

I know they all seem to have quality control problems that result in lawsuits. The worst qc i have ever seen is in new class 8 highway rigs, mind boggling that guys pay 150 grand and can't make a single trip without being broke down. Bad thing is nobody pays you downtime for sitting at a dealership for a week to get parts.

http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/general-motors-agreement-federal-prosecutors.shtml

No company is really better than the rest they all pretty much design for some kind of failure and we foot the bill most of the time. Be it shoddy materials or brutal assembly cars are not anywhere near what they could be.

I say stop making 500 to sit on a lot for 2 years and build to order.

I know they all seem to have quality control problems that result in lawsuits. The worst qc i have ever seen is in new class 8 highway rigs, mind boggling that guys pay 150 grand and can't make a single trip without being broke down. Bad thing is nobody pays you downtime for sitting at a dealership for a week to get parts.

See this is messing with our livelihoods not to mention our safety. It truly is disgusting how the mega corps just toss what ever at us and we really have no choice because they are all doing it :(

I'm interested to see what further info comes out of this. From what I've been able to gather, the 'test mode' likely runs more EGR flow (possibly use more exhaust treatment as well) which will create lower cyilnder temps and hence NOx but at the expense of power, fuel efficiency, increased soot and hence lower life for soot fouling components.

I'm interested to see what further info comes out of this. From what I've been able to gather, the 'test mode' likely runs more EGR flow (possibly use more exhaust treatment as well) which will create lower cyilnder temps and hence NOx but at the expense of power, fuel efficiency, increased soot and hence lower life for soot fouling components.

Depends what models, my golf only regens but newer models use DEF and thats a whole different can of worms.

I used to really like VW's and they were one of the only import brands I enjoyed driving but the past 7 or 8 years they have been pumping out sloppy product with half assed engineering. I think it's mostly due to them trying to lower their prices to be more competitive with other import brands like Kia, Hyundai etc.

Of course there will always bee the loyal VW crowd because of their awesome vehicles from the past but these days I could never agree the cars they build now are as durable or as well built.

I see some complaints about VW's engineering and it makes me wonder.. how many of you guys have ever owned a Saturn?

Saturns were god awful. There is a lot of very good reasons why GM killed them off. They haven't even been out of production THAT long and you already almost never see them on the road anymore. Cheaply built, poor performance and unsafe. But then again it is GM so can you really be surprised...

Saturns were god awful. There is a lot of very good reasons why GM killed them off. They haven't even been out of production THAT long and you already almost never see them on the road anymore. Cheaply built, poor performance and unsafe. But then again it is GM so can you really be surprised...

Exactly. It was my first car in the mid-late 90s, the interior was a cheap pos, plus, if you have to ever replace the window, god forbid, you're gonna have a great time getting to the panel to knock the window down. Gotta strip down the entire door (plastic and metal encasing et al), versus just peeling one layer off and done. I was so pissed when I was finally finished. I had helped a friend with his car window, and it was nothing like this.

Exactly. It was my first car in the mid-late 90s, the interior was a cheap pos, plus, if you have to ever replace the window, god forbid, you're gonna have a great time getting to the panel to knock the window down. Gotta strip down the entire door (plastic and metal encasing et al), versus just peeling one layer off and done. I was so pissed when I was finally finished. I had helped a friend with his car window, and it was nothing like this.

Yeah, I used to charge like 3x going rate for speaker installs in those POS cars. Luckily didn't see many of them. Probably all broke down before those cheap paper speakers did.

The new Golf has actually won countless awards. It's a pretty f'n awesome car.

They did have some pretty notorious QC issues when they started production in Mexico. But that was what, late 90's if I recall?

Otherwise they have a typically German track record. Generally well designed, well built but when they do break they're EXPENSIVE to fix and they generally like to be babied when it comes to maintenance.

The new Golf has actually won countless awards. It's a pretty f'n awesome car.

They did have some pretty notorious QC issues when they started production in Mexico. But that was what, late 90's if I recall?

Otherwise they have a typically German track record. Generally well designed, well built but when they do break they're EXPENSIVE to fix and they generally like to be babied when it comes to maintenance.

I remember early in college when I drove an Eclipse there were a ton of students living on campus who drove the diesel variant of the VW Golf's. It was like.. an ass load of Civic's, Accord's, and Golf's. It was good business for keyless devices because people needed that as so many cars looked like others.. especially the Golf's with a lack of varying colours people had.

Archived