The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC Government considering bridge to Sunshine Coast

Armada

The provincial government has announced that it is studying the feasibility of a fixed link between the Sunshine Coast and Metro Vancouver that would replace the existing B.C. Ferries services.

The routes that are being considered include a direct bridge connection across Howe Sound from the Sea to Sky Highway south of Squamish to an overland highway route further north around Jervis Inlet.

The government says a Request for Proposals (RFP) will be issued to contract a private firm to study the cost and benefits of various fixed route options against the existing ferry services.

“We’ve heard from stakeholders from Powell River to the Sunshine Coast that highway access is important for attracting tourism and investment,” said B.C. Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Todd Stone in a statement. “Over the coming months, we’ll look at the opportunities available and see how the costs and benefits stack up against the existing transportation options.”

This is one of the options they are considering:

sunshine-connector-3.jpg

fjord-bridge.jpg

More in the article, including different options. http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/09/sunshine-coast-bridge-metro-vancouver/

I for one support this. This would eliminate the cost of the ferry.

Since I don't want to go to the Sunshine Coast because of the ferry system, this would encourage me to visit this region.

Agreed. Its always stopped me.

Even in the event that it were toll'd. I'd rather pay $2-4 then $50.

I bet it would be a much higher toll.

The Confederation Bridge to P.E.I. (which was also to replace a ferry) is $45.50. It wouldn't surprise me if it was in this range.

The Confederation Bridge to P.E.I. (which was also to replace a ferry) is $45.50. It wouldn't surprise me if it was in this range.

Yea no thanks then, I'd rather take the ferry, get a view of the water and not waste gas going there and back essentially costing more.

Yeah, $2-4 is dreaming. Even if this were really doable, which it really isn't, that toll would be $50-$100.

Yea no thanks then, I'd rather take the ferry, get a view of the water and not waste gas going there and back essentially costing more.

Thank you, this is so true but so few appreciate it.

Costs if a bridge of that magnitude were built would be similiar to ferry fares no doubt. People want to come here but don't want to pay, well if there is a bridge the whole " get away ", up for the weekend ", nice quieter place with a slower pace" is thrown right out the window.

The Coast over the past 15 years or more has become already unaffordable to live and buy homes and land. It like I suspect much of the rest of the Province is being bought up by Chinese sight unseen, so you are getting an influx of horrible landlord situations for those trying to make a living here.

Many examples and I have experience of housing for rent with landlords who speak no english, cannot communicate even by email have their university student sons do the talking for them and trying to buy and flip for well above market value lol.

A bridge will only worsen the change that has taken place here. I am all for growth but much like Vancouver this is becoming an area for those better off to use as their summer retreat and weekend getaway while those who live here year round struggle keeping their lifestyle.

C'mon man, Coquihalla was $10 and that was ages ago - you think a toll bridge to the Sunshine Coast is only going to be $2-4? or was the dash a mis print and you meant $24 ? ;)

Not to mention @ $ 6.35 per foot on a vehicles over 5500kg on top of that the $55 standard fee deter many form visiting the Island. Then there is the ridiculous group fare rate for 16 people or more.

I wonder if it would be cheaper to build better ferries instead disturbing more of the aquatic environment... ?

I don't get why people project a high toll fee. If the Province set it at like $50, no one will use it except for residents. What the Province fails to understand is that the higher the tolls, the less people use the service like the Port Mann Bridge. Why is usage down compared to pre-bridge usage? $$$$ If it were 50 cents a trip, more people would use it and the lower cost would be offset by higher usage (kinda like how Walmart operates, sell more units at a cheaper price and still profit). It's not like there is a time frame where they HAVE to pay off the projects asap or the bridges fall into the river/ocean/etc. If it takes 10 years longer at a lower cost, is that a big problem?

I don't get why people project a high toll fee. If the Province set it at like $50, no one will use it except for residents. What the Province fails to understand is that the higher the tolls, the less people use the service like the Port Mann Bridge. Why is usage down compared to pre-bridge usage? $$$$ If it were 50 cents a trip, more people would use it and the lower cost would be offset by higher usage (kinda like how Walmart operates, sell more units at a cheaper price and still profit). It's not like there is a time frame where they HAVE to pay off the projects asap or the bridges fall into the river/ocean/etc. If it takes 10 years longer at a lower cost, is that a big problem?

Yes.

Imagine paying an extra 10 years of interest on a large loan.

No, it won't be $50. But anywhere between $10 and $20 would be my guess.

People don't use it and pay because the Alex Fraser is Free. There's a good way to fix that and it's coming ;)

On a good note, that should make the Alex Fraser less of a gong show.

Archived