The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hedge Fund Manager Raises Price of Medicine From $13.50 to $750 per Dose

Hugor Hill

6 hours ago, otherwise said:

He is also the guy who bought the Wu-Tang album once upon a time in shaolin, which means the FBI might end up owning it.. or maybe it will be released to the public???????? Apparently this guy was also planning on bailing Bobby Shmurda out, don't think that will happen now.

Lol yep! Pays over a million dollars for the one of a kind wutang album and tries to bail of Bobby Shmurda. So whack 

• 1 month later...

I'm one of the few that doesn't think Shkreli is a punk. The system is broken and he's just &^@#ing with it. IMO, that should be applauded, not denigrated.

Everyone loves to jump on things before all the facts are known, and of course media will spin things just enough so that all of the facts aren't revealed except to those willing to do the actual research for themselves.

Society is lazy. The backlash he's faced is proof positive.

1 minute ago, shadowgoon said:

I'm one of the few that doesn't think Shkreli is a punk. The system is broken and he's just &^@#ing with it. IMO, that should be applauded, not denigrated.

Everyone loves to jump on things before all the facts are known, and of course media will spin things just enough so that all of the facts aren't revealed except to those willing to do the actual research for themselves.

"But that is how we've always done it..."

48 minutes ago, shadowgoon said:

why should he be applauded?

Just now, GLASSJAW said:

why should he be applauded?

Ah, the legendary troll surfaces. If you have to ask, then you don't (and probably won't) get it (even though with some basic reading comprehension the answer is clear as day in my post).

Any response I give, this one included is simply fuel for you to start up a straw man of straw man arguments.

So go on, giver.

1 minute ago, shadowgoon said:

Ah, the legendary troll surfaces. If you have to ask, then you don't (and probably won't) get it (even though with some basic reading comprehension the answer is clear as day in my post).

Any response I give, this one included is simply fuel for you to start up a straw man of straw man arguments.

So go on, giver.

yikes

anyway, all your post says is that it's a broken system and he's benefiting from it, therefore.. he deserves applause?

i'm asking you why that deserves applause? surely taking advantage of a bad system does not make someone admirable by a default. the statement "IMO, that should be applauded" does not explain WHY it should be applauded, just that you think it should be. no, there is no clarity there

2 hours ago, shadowgoon said:

Thank you!

People were quick to jump the gun as usual.

He stated himself that if you do not have health insurance and can prove it, he will provide you with the drug for free?

Its disgusting that people will attack one dude, but won't touch big pharma for raking in billions of dollars from those suffering and dieing from Cancer.

8 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

Thank you!

People were quick to jump the gun as usual.

He stated himself that if you do not have health insurance and can prove it, he will provide you with the drug for free?

Its disgusting that people will attack one dude, but won't touch big pharma for raking in billions of dollars from those suffering and dieing from Cancer.

I don't think he's necessarily a good guy, but it is true that he has simply become the scapegoat for an entire industry that profits off of screwing people at the expense of their health.  Basically this story makes for a good clickbait headline, one doesn't need to get into complex economics or market statistics.  It's just *boom* "this guy jacked up the price 5000% or whatever it was".

Do I agree with what he's doing?  No, I don't think this attitude of profiteering has any place in industry where lives are at stake, even though as you said it may not affect the consumer in the end.  However it is true that there far worse people doing far worse things in the pharmaceutical industry, unbeknownst to the public because it's not "catchy".  It's a bit hypocritical for Congress to haul him in and attack this guy when they are the ones that allow this system to exist, and they too profit when pharmaceutical companies buy them off with campaign donations.

Schreli is actually a good guy. He doesn't take a salary from this pharmaceutical project. The drug he raised prices on has many issues and needs improvement, and there hasn't been any research done on it since the 1940s.

60% of revenues go towards research and development, compared to 15% of companies like Pfizer. 

He's taking advantage of larger companies who have to pay for it at exuberant prices, such as the insurance companies. He's publically stated if anyone needs this drug and cannot afford it, he will find a way to get it to them for free.

55 minutes ago, sameer666 said:

Schreli is actually a good guy. He doesn't take a salary from this pharmaceutical project. The drug he raised prices on has many issues and needs improvement, and there hasn't been any research done on it since the 1940s.

60% of revenues go towards research and development, compared to 15% of companies like Pfizer. 

He's taking advantage of larger companies who have to pay for it at exuberant prices, such as the insurance companies. He's publically stated if anyone needs this drug and cannot afford it, he will find a way to get it to them for free.

Robin hood comes to mind.

5 hours ago, etsen3 said:

I don't think he's necessarily a good guy, but it is true that he has simply become the scapegoat for an entire industry that profits off of screwing people at the expense of their health.  Basically this story makes for a good clickbait headline, one doesn't need to get into complex economics or market statistics.  It's just *boom* "this guy jacked up the price 5000% or whatever it was".

Do I agree with what he's doing?  No, I don't think this attitude of profiteering has any place in industry where lives are at stake, even though as you said it may not affect the consumer in the end.  However it is true that there far worse people doing far worse things in the pharmaceutical industry, unbeknownst to the public because it's not "catchy".  It's a bit hypocritical for Congress to haul him in and attack this guy when they are the ones that allow this system to exist, and they too profit when pharmaceutical companies buy them off with campaign donations.

Yup. They are pretty much doing that for every major industry too. 

M'urica.

Archived