The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Higgins out 3 Weeks with Broken Foot

b3.

Personally, I don't care. I wish Higgins a quick and speedy recovery for personal reasons, but as a team - I'd rather see a young guy take his spot anyway.

We're in for a long season. If we can at least see some promise from a prospect or two, it will make the season that much more enjoyable to watch. If we're just icing the same old same old - with Sutter as our star attraction, well, I'm falling asleep just thinking about it.

Sorry to hear about Higgins. I was hoping for a good year from him. I think highly of his game and was hoping at the very least that a strong showing from him early in the season would mean some value coming our way at the trade deadline.

On the bright side, hopefully this opens up at least 9 NHL games for one of Gaunce, Virtanen McCann on either wing.

Also, the versatility of Burrows comes in handy once-again: Having him able to line up on either wing keeps that door open for either a left or right winger to start the season with us...

After WD's post-game comments it looks like Gaunce has the inside track to fill in for Higgins. Deservedly so, in my opinion. It wouldn't be a disaster if Virtanen got the opportunity instead, but at this stage he is so focussed on the hitting game that his offense has become an afterthought. That priority needs to change if he's going to become the player Benning projected. Too bad he can't play in Utica under Green. McCann looks more ready for a "developmental" bottom 6 role on the big club than Virtanen.

After WD's post-game comments it looks like Gaunce has the inside track to fill in for Higgins. Deservedly so, in my opinion. It wouldn't be a disaster if Virtanen got the opportunity instead, but at this stage he is so focussed on the hitting game that his offense has become an afterthought. That priority needs to change if he's going to become the player Benning projected. Too bad he can't play in Utica under Green. McCann looks more ready for a "developmental" bottom 6 role on the big club than Virtanen.

From what I've seen of him hitting is the focus of his game. He's always looking for the big hit or the break on the loose puck.

The game I saw he had the opposing team chasing him around trying to get revenge the whole night. He didn't have great puck possession but ended up getting two goals.

Lol what makes you think Hansen gets cut over kenins, gaunce, virtanen and even Baertschi. He hasn't done anything to lose his position on this team. In fact he is one of our hardest working players.

I totally agree. It is not an everyday thing where a 9th rounder becomes a solid 3rd liner

It's a JB conspiracy to sit Higgins and give an extra youngster a spot! :frantic:

He really should not rush them tho. Gaunce looks like he can make a solid push. I would give Virt the 10 games and see. But it would be better if he was sent down to the Comets or the Hitmen depending on his age.

If this means Horvat has to work with some plug and Hansen again I'm going to be pisssedddd.

Uh... they had damn good chemistry. Kenins Horvat Hansen is default 3rd line as of now since Higgy is gone for while.

FYI, if Higgy was not injured, the projected lines would be...

Sedin Sedin Burrows

Baert Sutter Vrbata

Higgy Horvat Hansen

Prust Vey Dorsett

Scratched: Kenins

Prust and Kenins may take turns on the 4th line.

Kenins will play anyways no matter what

Gaunce looked pretty damn good last night too. He is one of our most underrated and forgotten-about prospects I would say. He's a big kid, has a nice shot, and his skating is not as bad as people make it out to be. He will fit nicely into a third/fourth line role this season or next.

Gaunce was pretty low on the canucks depth chart for a while. Now he is make a serious push. Great sign!

I really hope that Jensen can step it up. He is out of management's sight

Archived